Now it is my turn :)

Old Jan 28th 2014, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now it is my turn :)

After living several years in New Zealand both of us had very well paid jobs, we found a decent house, owned a car (my first car ever!!), and found great friends. We traveled a lot around New Zealand (still missing the Nelson area - good spot for a vacation in the not too near future), visited a lot of restaurants, and explored Auckland thoroughly. In a lot of ways you can call us 'successful immigrants'.

However, our success did not change how we felt about New Zealand - it is a great country for people who love the outdoors and sports and don't mind being restricted to one country and one lifestyle forever but for us it never worked. Actually, the thought of growing old in NZ filled me with dread. That is why I quit my job, packed, and left. Luckily, OH felt the same way!

Back in Germany I nearly froze to death at -13 degrees, slipped and fell elegantly because of black ice, was suffocated by crowds of people, missed my bus and had to wait in icy winds, got stuck in massive traffic, got a nasty cold, had to deal with scores of unhappy, miserable people, and am forced to live a stressful and materialistic life. I miss NZ and absolutely hate it here...not. Nah, surprisingly, I actually met a lot of really nice, friendly, helpful, and interesting people. I find living in Germany relaxing. I enjoy the excess to the outdoors here (though we have no wilderness here but still have some nice countryside), I love the crowds, I love public transport, I love the massive offering of arts, culture, and experiences. The art, architecture, and history that a distorted ugly city such as Berlin has to offer is simply amazing and of course very challenging. But I am in peace and reconciled with life in Germany/Berlin and I have to thank NZ for this. Very happy to be near my family and reunited with my friends! Already made a few new ones as well!

I have missed the beaches of NZ and my NZ friends from time to time but that is about it. I can't see myself ever returning to NZ to life. I actually feel like I escaped being stuck in NZ. Doesn't mean that I can't see that NZ can be a great country for some people. And it doesn't mean that I was all miserable, poor, and lonely in NZ. Not at all. I enjoyed my time there but a few years are more than enough. Good bye and good luck to everyone
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Now it is my turn :)

It's great to hear you are back and enjoying life. I have always enjoyed your posts as you express much of what I feel about living in NZ. While it has a lot to offer (especially to hunting, fishing, farming and boatie / bikie types), ultimately I miss the culture, the energy and the travel opportunities of other places.
We will make a move soon too - not to Europe but to Asia - I am sure I will miss lots of things about NZ - clear skies, empty streets, easy parking (!), and some good friends, but I will be grinning from ear to ear as we board the plane with a one-way ticket out!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

But I am in peace and reconciled with life in Germany/Berlin and I have to thank NZ for this.
Sometimes we need time & distance in our lives to better know our own selves & what is important to us .

All the best for this stage of your lives.

Live long and prosper.

There is a lady up on the MBTTUK forum that posts the most marvelous pictures of the European Christmas markets. I'll look forward to you joining her with that.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 2:34 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Great update.

I do think that sometimes we need a break from our home country just to really appreciate what we had.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys

Yep, I live and learn. All the best with your moves to Asia and the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Assanah. Great to hear your update, all the best for the future
Old Feb 8th 2014, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

mikehum is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post, good luck to you.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, I enjoy your posts even though I'm not in New Zealand.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 5:03 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

What a great post. Thank you! Makes me happy to hear of life beyond NZ. Will be here for couple more years then back to Scotland
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
I actually feel like I escaped being stuck in NZ. Doesn't mean that I can't see that NZ can be a great country for some people. And it doesn't mean that I was all miserable, poor, and lonely in NZ. Not at all. I enjoyed my time there but a few years are more than enough. Good bye and good luck to everyone
Really pleased for you Assanah. I feel exactly the same at 20 months back now.
I've even found an expensive coffee machine for home that makes me 'NZ standard' lattes so I don't even miss those now.

The rest of Europe has lots of beaches...travel.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys! Enjoying home very much. OH has found a decent job. And I am lookin at nnice apartments with high ceilings. Love them. I am a bit shocked about the ugliness in many parts of Berlin. Trying to avoid those.

Luvwelly, will surely travel a lot. I missed it! What's the coffee machine called? Maybe I can get it here too. Do they sell any good NZ-like coffee beans? I am in the process of getting used to plain German filter coffee atm. Not my favourite but OK for now.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm jealous! we think we have another 5 years here while the youngest goes through school then we hope to be off. With any luck we will give Thailand or KL a try for teaching or perhaps back to the Middle East with the ultimate goal to find a way back to the UK. But a lot can happen in 5 years so who knows. Like you though the thought of retiring in NZ fills me with dread.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
I'm jealous! we think we have another 5 years here while the youngest goes through school then we hope to be off. With any luck we will give Thailand or KL a try for teaching or perhaps back to the Middle East with the ultimate goal to find a way back to the UK. But a lot can happen in 5 years so who knows. Like you though the thought of retiring in NZ fills me with dread.
Why are you waiting? Wouldn't it be easier to go now, before the kids can refuse to go with you?!!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Because we already took the kids to the Middle East for a couple of years and we'd prefer not to interrupt their education a second time. My eldest needs to finish Year 13 and my youngest is quite happy at high school with friends he has known since he was 4 years old.
The eldest will probably take a year (at least) out next year, go and stay with family in the UK and look for enough work to pay for a bit of travelling.
My job is ok and my wife has just added a new qualification that means her options here are a little wider.
So we'll carry on here for a while longer then make a decision. I don't think our long term future is here, but I don't know where it will be ultimately.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Why you decided to leave AndyEvs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.