Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

My Story- post Earthquake

My Story- post Earthquake

Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light
Default My Story- post Earthquake

When the February Earthquake hit us I can honestly say I’ve never been so scared in all my life & hope never to be that scared ever again. After the first night of continuous big aftershocks all night in the dark with no power we decided the following day to tidy up & go. Our good neighbour gave us a can of petrol & we left with a car load of essentials. We fled to Golden Bay via Cheviot/Kaikoura/Mapua. We met so many amazing people on our journey, the whole of Christchurch was on the move. A BIG THANK YOU to Bevs & her man who are a pair of Diamonds to whom we will always be grateful for their support,warmth,kindness & generosity all washed down with a fab sense of humour..(enjoyed our recent celebrations btw.)

After 3wks on the road we decided that we wanted to return to Sumner which we did for 5 wks. These weeks were the longest ever it was as if time had slowed right down.It was good to see everyone again but with every strong aftershock we knew deep down we couldn’t re-settle Sumner had changed for us forever, a lot of friends had left already.

March/April we drove back & forth to Nelson (thanks again Bevan) looking for a house to feel safe in. We eventually found an Eco-friendly house in Nelson & enrolled our son at the local school.

It has been very difficult to leave all those connections we’d made during our 1st year in Christchurch & to leave our perfect happy place, but i do feel now we have found another.After 4 months we feel settled & happy to be in Nelson.We have lovely neighbours again , lovely friends & the sun seems to be out all of the time. We know we’ve been very lucky we are alive no-one we know died & we didn’t buy a house or a business. We feel we’ve been given another chance to enjoy this beautiful country.

Our son is enjoying school & has joined a local tennis club-we’ve been to visit a fab high school he wants to go to, we are very proud of him the way he has coped. He did have a bit of post traumatic stress back in Feb & he does miss Sumner & his friends as do we, but he is making new ones & he is still happy we came to NZ despite the Earthquakes we experienced.

My hubby has settled back into work(computer games)and loves his new outside office. I’m getting excited about making pots again.

We have found a fab home lots of land for chookes & veggies, big blue skies & starry nights.
The wood-burner keeps us warm as toast as it heats the underfloor heating . We have solar panels which provides our electricity & a stream which gives us our water.
Nelson is a fab place to live & only 10 mins drive away.Cable Bay is our nearest beach 5 mins down the road. 1 hr south & we’re in Marlborough sounds 2 hrs North and we’re in beautiful Golden Bay.

If it hadn’t been for the Feb eatrhquake we would never have left Christchurch. We are happy with our decision & look forward everyday.

The best thing we ever did as a family was to emigrate to NZ. We are all much happier people for it-Yes we miss our friends & family back home but they will always be our friends & family that won’t change we miss our friends back in Sumner but we know we will see them all again at some point. Thanks for reading my story.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Story- post Earthquake

Oh Tray, you have been on a big journey. Very glad you are now settled and thanks for sharing your story. We are looking to move to the Nelson area as soon as our house sells. Maybe bump into to you
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Thanx all is good now...good luck to you with the house sale & your move Look us up when you get settled ,we've always enjoyed meeting people from this forum, Nelson is a good choice
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:58 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Tray,

So great to read your update. You and your family have been through so much and I'm so pleased that you are enjoying your new location. Sounds like you are all feeling more settled, and that's fantastic.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:17 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

What a wonderful update. After all you have been through you sound like you have come out the other end stronger and smiling.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you guys
Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

A brilliant update thank you Tray , so glad to hear how much you still love NZ and that you are doing everything you wanted to do and that you are settled as a family, much continued happiness to you all
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Kia Ora
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:22 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - what a great post.

The best of luck and all best wishes to you and the family from now onwards xxx
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Great update
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:54 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Good to read you're settled in beautiful Nelson and life is rosy ....glad everything has worked out for you after the awful trauma ....keep smiling & enjoying
B x
Old Aug 27th 2011, 7:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

OK. So it's a bit of alright.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ta Mrs Merci Beacuop
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:55 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Tray
Glad to see you're settling into a new place and making a new start after the earthquakes
x
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kia Ora

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.