5 Years in

Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default 5 Years in

Hi There,

So, today it is 5 years since we arrived in New Zealand and it's gone so fast! We were lucky enough to have people we could stay with when we arrived for a couple of weeks while we found a rental. Since that time we have both found jobs (me after about 3 weeks, husband after 6 months) and have recently been able to retire a little earlier than we thought would be possible.

It's been an interesting ride, full of ups and downs as is everyone's I would imagine, but overall we feel that our decision was a good one for us. It was quite a bit more difficult adapting than we anticipated (and we did anticipate it would be hard) but we have made friends here and keep in touch with family and friends back in the UK via email and FaceTime etc. In some cases we are more in touch than when we lived in the UK.

Yes, I miss family and sometimes other things too. Luckily, mostly these are fleeting feelings that pass when we do things here and in the grand scheme of things not overly important to us (the things not the family)

I won't give any advice for those moving over as I think the journey is so different for everyone. I must say that this forum has been a valuable source for me since we started to even think about applying for a visa.

Like most people, I would never say never to going back to the UK but I can't see it anytime soon. Although, I think a visit to family will be on the cards at some point in the not too distant future.

Our thoughts now are whether or not to apply for citizenship (it is a little bit expensive) but I do feel that, if accepted, it would seal the deal!

Good luck to everyone in and on the journey!

Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Years in

Congratulations on your 5 years!

Michelle
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mishclark
Congratulations on your 5 years!

Michelle
Thank you!
Old Oct 16th 2016, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting, it's always good to hear from poeple who are settled and enjoying their NZ life.