Month 3 living in NZ

Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default Month 3 living in NZ

Thought I would post an update, we'll after 2 yrs of trying we are finally in NZ on a WTR visa.

The shippers were brilliant in the UK and packed the whole house like magic, the NZ guys were just as good but they didn't drink anywhere near as much tea!

We arrived and stayed in a lovely 3 bed flat in Khandallah, it was great base to find our way around, which we did. Wellington is a great city with so much going for it. THEN the storms hit, 125km hr winds which caused havoc everywhere. We had no power for 4 days, had to stay in a motel and went swimming to keep warm, oh how I cried for my gas central heated house back in the UK.

We found a rental pretty quick in Paremata, it had nothing on my list of wants, but OH and I fell in love, so we took it. Kids go to the nearby school which has a very good reputation. Yes we camped in the house and at times it was trying, going to get a can opener to find you don't have one, then having to change the dinner menu completely because you can't open the chopped tomato's, but we did it.

Then came the Eartquakes and my did they rock, I didn't think I could be that scared, but I was. Of course the kids thought it was really exciting.

OH is enjoying his work and gets on really well with everyone, with a huge sense of humour he was worried that they wouldn't get him, they do and they join in.

We have made lots of friends and been invited to lots of places, there hasn't been a weekend without a meet up. Lots of tea and cake with some off the ladies from BE, thank you you know who you are and the neighbours are so welcoming, the first week we were here lots of food parcels were left on the doorstep as well lending us heap of furniture and bedding.

Myself, not working yet, and don't really like that so started volunteering at the local riding for the disabled, to back around horses is heaven.

Yes EVERYTHING is expensive, the first few weeks how much? Was a common phrase but now starting to get used to it, the pot of money we bought with us is almost gone. Then the car broke down but luckily we had AA where I met a lovely man from Birmingham who has been here 38 yrs, he reassured me things would get better lol. Then someone rifled through the car one evening after I forgot to lock it, back to reality this is not utopia and they do have crime, thankfully nothing taken.

I could go on and on (probably already have) but overall impression, people are so friendly and will do anything to help. The weather has been amazing for winter, even got sunburnt several times and the kids have been swimming in the sea. There is sooooo much to do outdoors, biking, walking, I have even started jogging and haven't done that for 20yrs!!!

Every day I see something and say 'that wouldn't happen in England' because the UK is too constricting, like the kids doing school crossing patrol, a high dive board in Wellington harbour to encourage you to tombstone, and trains that run on time.

Oh I forgot to mention that all of this was done with a film crew in tow as the CBBC are making a documentary about my kids moving to the other side of the world. It will be screened in March 2014
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:27 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Month 3 living in NZ

thanks for the update, trying times to start but you and yours got through it.
I really hope that from now its all positive.
You journey is one for those who are finding it hard to get over here but want to do it. With the highs of thinking you were set and the lows to discover that Immigration decided not to approve you, then the update to say OH had secured a job and that you were indeed now on your way.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all

Hi Moonie, sounds like you have had a difficult journey so its great that It's all worked out in the end. How exciting about the tv programme! You'll have to let us know when its on neater the time, I would love to see it.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So would I .

Thanks for the lovely update. It's always good to know how people are fairing after they land.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Well it's been an exciting week. We went to auction and bought a house in Papakowhai, yippee.
4 bed with a huge rumpus/self contained annexe on a 1/4 plot with stunning 180 degree views. Needs some renovation but a good solid house.
As for auction bidding, definitely a once in a lifetime experience, never want to do that again, my heart never beat so fast in my life, afterwards I was shaking like a leaf.
Move in at the end of November, can't wait, let the DIY begin
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Well it's been an exciting week. We went to auction and bought a house in Papakowhai, yippee.
4 bed with a huge rumpus/self contained annexe on a 1/4 plot with stunning 180 degree views. Needs some renovation but a good solid house.
As for auction bidding, definitely a once in a lifetime experience, never want to do that again, my heart never beat so fast in my life, afterwards I was shaking like a leaf.
Move in at the end of November, can't wait, let the DIY begin
Congratulations
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:41 am
Pilottinker

pilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to behold

What a lovely update. I think everything is going to get better and better for your family. Well Done
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Jess3699 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely update, I wish all the best for you and your family on your new lives in NZ! Would be really interesting to watch this program, is it being shown on british t.v? I will look out for it

Jess
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Trinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant future

Hi Moonie, It's interesting to find your post as somehow I discovered your son's blog. I think you may have replied to a post I put up once! I was very interested to hear your story, as we have children of a similar age and I am from Devon originally (well, I was born in California, but that's another story!) I am glad that you have settled in. We are on the cusp of deciding whether to make the big move to NZ. My OH has a great job offer, inc some relocation expenses but still he is hesitating!! His main worry is MONEY- the cost of living, houses, food etc. He lived in Welly for 2 months back in 1997. he stayed with a colleague in a house that was very cold and damp (only a wood burner for heat) and it was winter and that has tainted his view I think. He really worries that the dollar is strong and our money won't go far. Fortunately, the company is paying half his flight to go check things out in a couple weeks. I was soooooo excited about moving but because he has now got cold feet it's making me doubt. The main thing I will miss from the UK is our friends. we don't live near family and we're not close to them. Did you have doubts before you left? How are you feeling now? I am not sure how I will feel if he decides that we're not going... so many conflicting emotions. So sorry for the waffle, but as you're so recently there, would love to 'hear' more about 'your journey'. Best Wishes T.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Trinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant future

P.S. my children are excited about the TV show your family are in... I think it's called 1 way ticket, but I couldn't find it on the CBBC website. Do you know when it will be shown? Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi trinamch
Thanks for your post, yes we all love it here and for me I love it a little bit more each day.
The documentry is in the final stages of editing and as soon as they tell me the date it is due it air I will let everyone know.
Regarding wages hubby earns $78k and at the moment I don't work and we are fine. We eat out, I shop, have days and weekends away etc. have sky, internet, etc etc etc. We live in Wellington. Where will you be living?
We have just bought our own home, easily got a mortgage. It is a large 4 bed detached, with amazing coastal views in a nice area. We still have our uk home for a while. In the uk we would never be able to afford two houses.
More than happy to answer any more questions you may have, pm me
Good luck and again we love it
Old Jan 31st 2014, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I remember thinkin all the same things. Go back to the start of our blog and have a read, it might make you feel better. It DOES get better - first step- stop converting stuff back to £ !!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
I remember thinkin all the same things. Go back to the start of our blog and have a read, it might make you feel better. It DOES get better - first step- stop converting stuff back to £ !!
Amen to that.

I particularly enjoy the OP's quote 'that wouldn't happen in England'. I find myself say this quite often.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:32 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Hi trinamch
Thanks for your post, yes we all love it here and for me I love it a little bit more each day.
The documentry is in the final stages of editing and as soon as they tell me the date it is due it air I will let everyone know.
Regarding wages hubby earns $78k and at the moment I don't work and we are fine. We eat out, I shop, have days and weekends away etc. have sky, internet, etc etc etc. We live in Wellington. Where will you be living?
We have just bought our own home, easily got a mortgage. It is a large 4 bed detached, with amazing coastal views in a nice area. We still have our uk home for a while. In the uk we would never be able to afford two houses.
More than happy to answer any more questions you may have, pm me
Good luck and again we love it
Did you have a large deposit?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Did you have a large deposit?
Luckily yes we did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.