Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Just arrived in NZ.. Oamaru....

Just arrived in NZ.. Oamaru....

Old Apr 8th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived in NZ.. Oamaru....

Originally Posted by Wessa

Im really missing Karen and the kids tho.. They wont be out for 6 months!!.
Have a great variety of pictures in one frame to get me by... and of course Skype has been in use..

Gary..
Hi Gary, my OH and son (age 19) moved out to NZ in Oct - I travelled to Auckland with them to validate our visas and left them on 6th Oct, to travel back to UK (house to sell and son to finish school).

I ain't gunna lie - it has been difficult. Youngest son (17) got thrown out of school, daughter has broken up with partner and they have a 2 year old, OH and son in ChCh for earthquake....and so on!

However, what keeps us both going is that they are having a fantastic time in NZ and I shall hopefully join them July ish. He hasn't had a landline, so haven't used skype - plenty of emails, texts and some phonecalls plus facebook.

So, keep positive and realise every day done is a day closer to your dream!

Best of luck to you and yours and it s fantastic seeing penguins where they belong and not in a zoo
Old Apr 8th 2011, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rick78
Awesome pics both... I can't wait until we arrive in Auckland... flights booked for the 21st July... lots to do before then though!
Good luck mate.. Not long now eh, the time will fly as you will be busy eh..
If you need anything, just give me a shout.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chippy64
Hi Gary, my OH and son (age 19) moved out to NZ in Oct - I travelled to Auckland with them to validate our visas and left them on 6th Oct, to travel back to UK (house to sell and son to finish school).

I ain't gunna lie - it has been difficult. Youngest son (17) got thrown out of school, daughter has broken up with partner and they have a 2 year old, OH and son in ChCh for earthquake....and so on!

However, what keeps us both going is that they are having a fantastic time in NZ and I shall hopefully join them July ish. He hasn't had a landline, so haven't used skype - plenty of emails, texts and some phonecalls plus facebook.

So, keep positive and realise every day done is a day closer to your dream!

Best of luck to you and yours and it s fantastic seeing penguins where they belong and not in a zoo
Thanks Chippy.. I hope you are all together soon.. I do worry about Karen being at home having to do all the paking up etc.. Shes a tough nut so.. My work mates are great and i have a good friend an hour or so away so i'l be ok i recon..
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blimey, Three weeks in and it seems to have gone soooo slow. Maybe because im here on my own eh.. Just moved into a flatshare..only got to now for two weeks as the company have just offered me a 3 bed place rent and bill free in Otematata.. I can walk to work..lol...When Karen and the kids come out Il rent a place back here in Oamaru.... Result eh

They have flown me up to Auckland for a meet and greet this week.. Ive had 5 min look around and that will do for now.. Got a feeling im going to be a south islander..

Anyway, i can say at the moment i couldn't think of much to get me home yet..
Funny enough im looking forwards to seeing the snow on the ranges back down south.. Another winter for me...Will be strange..

Catch ya soon friends.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, Three weeks in and it seems to have gone soooo slow. Maybe because im here on my own eh.. Just moved into a flatshare..only got to now for two weeks as the company have just offered me a 3 bed place rent and bill free in Otematata.. I can walk to work..lol...When Karen and the kids come out Il rent a place back here in Oamaru.... Result eh

They have flown me up to Auckland for a meet and greet this week.. Ive had 5 min look around and that will do for now.. Got a feeling im going to be a south islander..

Funny enough im looking forwards to seeing the snow on the ranges back down south.. Another winter for me...Will be strange..

Catch ya soon friends.
Oh great Gary, that will ne nice to have a place of your own and a nice stop gap for Karen until she can have a look for herself where she fancies living. The time does go slow when you are on your own without the family. Winter doesn't help with the nights getting darker. Yes 2 winters will make it seem so long, on the other side of the coin by the time Karen arrives it will be nearly spring so she gets to have 2 seasons of nice weather hopefully!!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

Catch ya soon friends.
Hi Gary, Great to hear things are going well for you.
The Winter's may be a tad chilly where you are, but they often have clear, crisp blue skies, and quite dry. Not the damp, grey cold like the UK. That makes the Winters far more bearable IMO.
I'm in Billericay at present, but lived in Cromwell for a couple of years, and almost pinched myself each day, looking at the snow-topped mountains that surround Cromwell. Put is this way, I'd rather spend Winter in Cromwell, than Summer in Essex! The time will soon pass by, and wifey & kids will soon be there with you
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:33 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Hey mate,

Welcome to the real NZ South island , make sure those Jaffa's dont try and keep you up there !!

We have been in Otago for over 6 years now and will be into our 7th this May , we used to live in Dunedin and moved out of town for peace and quiet in the country side , both work at the Prison and love NZ life style , Oamaru is an awesome wee village , and youll know when you have been there for some time, as people will reconise you lol and beleive me Oamaru is reknown for every body knowing each other , can you hear the banjo's tune playing , close your eyes and think of Deliverance lol , only joking.

If you every fancy a meet up when you are down this way , give us a bell we are outside Dunners past Mosgiel in the wops 0212133577 .

Regards

Nige
Old May 9th 2011, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rolfie
Hi Gary, Great to hear things are going well for you.
The Winter's may be a tad chilly where you are, but they often have clear, crisp blue skies, and quite dry. Not the damp, grey cold like the UK. That makes the Winters far more bearable IMO.
I'm in Billericay at present, but lived in Cromwell for a couple of years, and almost pinched myself each day, looking at the snow-topped mountains that surround Cromwell. Put is this way, I'd rather spend Winter in Cromwell, than Summer in Essex! The time will soon pass by, and wifey & kids will soon be there with you
Sunny Billericay eh.. Karen loves the shops there..
Yeah, sure is a pretty part of the world here. My drive to work is just awsome..So much better than the 1hr night drive around the m25!. You are right, im sure i'l prefere the winter here too..

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Hey mate,

Welcome to the real NZ South island , make sure those Jaffa's dont try and keep you up there !!

We have been in Otago for over 6 years now and will be into our 7th this May , we used to live in Dunedin and moved out of town for peace and quiet in the country side , both work at the Prison and love NZ life style , Oamaru is an awesome wee village , and youll know when you have been there for some time, as people will reconise you lol and beleive me Oamaru is reknown for every body knowing each other , can you hear the banjo's tune playing , close your eyes and think of Deliverance lol , only joking.

If you every fancy a meet up when you are down this way , give us a bell we are outside Dunners past Mosgiel in the wops 0212133577 .

Regards
Nige
Cor, Nige, your not wrong about everyone knowing everyone eh.. In a way it's kinda nice, everyone helps each other out and it also makes a frindlier place for the kids too.
I have a friend in St leonards which i go and see every 2-3 weeks. Only an hour or so drive. I cld give you a shout before i go next time and we'l have a cuppa or a beer eh..

So, here now just over 5 weeks... Really missing the kids and Karen.!
Seems like forever since i left the uk.. My company have just put me up, all expenses paid in a 3 bedroom furnished place in Otematata, which is a small town near the Benmore dam where im working. You thought Oamaru was small..Jeezzzz... Il be going back to Oamaru when Karen and the kids arrive in Aug-Sept..

Im slowly picking up the little habits of a kiwi..

I can light my own log fire!
Im becoming sharp at spotting a bargin at 500mtrs in supermarkets..
Bulk buying food..
Say hello or how ya going to everyone
Say "Awsome, Good on ya, good as gold, she'l be right, far out" and finish every sentence with "ar yeah"
let the pump attendant fill my car up..
use bread and milk wisely..
Oh..the list goes on eh..

Thanks for the replies..

Gary
Old May 9th 2011, 1:10 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gary

Well done and belated congrats on arriving. I remember when you first started sounding out coming here. Good on you for sticking to your dreams.

Must be hard with out the family, but time will fly once you get settled in the routine.

I know what you mean by that morning drive! After four and a bit years in Marlborough, I still get awestruck how beautiful it is here.

Get yourself a copy of Salmonella Dub's "Inside the Dub Plates", great to listen to when driving around the NZ countryside.