Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

I can't stop grinning.....

I can't stop grinning.....

Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Cheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really nice
Default I can't stop grinning.....

We arrived in NZ back in June last year and from the second we set foot off the plane I haven't had a single regret. In fact, the whole family is ridiculously happy. I thought the honeymoon feeling would end but so far so good. The kids are in paradise - great schools, loads of clubs and activities, so much to explore.
We are living in Maraetai - south of Auckland and it is fantastic. We have made more friends in the last 10 months than we had after 5 years in the UK. The social life is buzzing even in a semi rural location like Maraetai - always something going on.
For us, NZ has definitely lived up to the hype and yes, all the negative things you can read up on are mostly true but the positives are so positive that it wins you over. God I sound quite happy clappy! So to balance it out a bit, the money is the most negative point - I find that NZ is really expensive vs wages and we earn $150k+ and still find it quite difficult. Having read up on it I thought I understood this but there's nothing like experiencing it first hand to really believe it.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can't stop grinning.....

I went to Maraetai for the first time ever for a wedding a few weeks ago
It cracked me up because it was like my home town in norfolk
Well nothing like it but similar because the wedding was the talk of the town for being two women
Funny but cute and quaint
It is gorgeous and you are lucky to have such a gorgeous spot
Money doesn't go as far and if I'm honest, thinks are tight for us and we have 110k+ but a big mortgage takes care of most of that

It's worth it though isn't it?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Cheesehead You've come back to us.

So pleased to find out how you've been getting on up there. sounds like it's all going good which is lovely to read.

I know that sometimes the posts cautioning on things like cost of living , rental & driving standards etc can be daunting for people looking to come out , but it is just so great when someone comes back, having read all that everyone has to offer by way of experiences and views and they say "we agree with many of the plus and the minuses written about NZ and we are happy with our new lives."

Well done to you and your family. Sounds lovely.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:08 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheesehead
We arrived in NZ back in June last year and from the second we set foot off the plane I haven't had a single regret. In fact, the whole family is ridiculously happy. I thought the honeymoon feeling would end but so far so good. The kids are in paradise - great schools, loads of clubs and activities, so much to explore.
We are living in Maraetai - south of Auckland and it is fantastic. We have made more friends in the last 10 months than we had after 5 years in the UK. The social life is buzzing even in a semi rural location like Maraetai - always something going on.
For us, NZ has definitely lived up to the hype and yes, all the negative things you can read up on are mostly true but the positives are so positive that it wins you over. God I sound quite happy clappy! So to balance it out a bit, the money is the most negative point - I find that NZ is really expensive vs wages and we earn $150k+ and still find it quite difficult. Having read up on it I thought I understood this but there's nothing like experiencing it first hand to really believe it.
Great post and with your fantastic & positive outlook on life I am not surprised life is going so well for you. Hope it continues that way and that we find it just as successful when we come over

Dewb
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:19 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Another one loving NZ, awesome, but i cant understand why people cant live on that sort of income, it beggars believe I have met hundreds of Kiwi families living on $35k a year let alone $150k+

But congrats on living the dream.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I think thats the point they are just living, i really wouldnt wanna try on 35 K

Neil
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I think thats the point they are just living, i really wouldnt wanna try on 35 K

Neil
We are struggling on $55k and there's only 3 of us any less and OH would have to sell himself Bevissa
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I would struggle on any amount of many...I would just buy more sh*t
Thank god for my mortgage which makes me put money towards something sensible

150k is a lot though, saying that we get 110 and we don't have any spare really and there's only 3 of us