Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

I am going to say I want to leave

I am going to say I want to leave

Old Aug 31st 2013, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am going to say I want to leave

We have been here 2 1/2 years, settled in Auckland. I (Luke) got a job within 3 weeks and doing well with the company. Jo, once our son was ready for nursery found work quickly and were into NZ life...

The homesickness lasted a while but these things take time, it is a big step to move from the UK to NZ and start fresh. So we were strong and gave it time.
We have just come back from a UK visit after 2 1/2 years away, I wanted to see the UK as a drab, dreary place with unhappy people... but in fact I saw the total opposite.

I spent a few days in London which felt very prosperous and vibrant.
Lincoln felt like an actual city, people were happy and everything really felt on the up.

Jo is still there for another couple of weeks, I have come back early to get back to work. When she returns I am going to tell her that I want to go back and live in the UK again.

I left my brothers and family whom I am really close to, it was heart ache to leave them... they are doing so well and in a sense we are not a part of their lives anymore.

Our NZ position is great, but I know we can take what we have gained over the last 2 1/2 yrs and apply it to a life back in the UK.

NZ is a great place, but to sacrifice leaving family and having such a huge emptiness inside out weighs the NZ outdoors lifestyle so many people desire.

It will be a long conversation for sure...I will leave with alot of career experience and certainly a different outlook in life.

We shall see what comes of the discussions...
Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am going to say I want to leave

Good luck Luke - sounds like the UK is the place to be. I always enjoyed my visits to the UK immensely and there are not many cities in the world that can compete with London in vibrancy

Last edited by Assanah; Aug 31st 2013 at 7:51 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 8:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

how long holiday did you have there? I say holiday as that it what it was, not trying to get a job, not trying to find accommodation not trying to establish yourselves again.

Did you have these feelings before you went?, could it just be seeing people again and a bit of rose tinted glasses?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 9:45 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. I should imagine going back is as difficult as coming here was in the first place. The lists, incessant organisation, financial and emotional stress is probably similar.

Don't think that you wont miss anything about your Auckland life. Against the day we exit Wanganui, I know there'll be things that I'll miss about this place.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
how long holiday did you have there? I say holiday as that it what it was, not trying to get a job, not trying to find accommodation not trying to establish yourselves again.

Did you have these feelings before you went?, could it just be seeing people again and a bit of rose tinted glasses?

Those feelings have always been with us. Going back for a holiday has really ignited the flame.

Mind made up...
Old Aug 31st 2013, 11:36 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

hope Jo feels the same

best wishes
Old Sep 1st 2013, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

I know all the things you're saying hence our move home in 3 weeks time

Good luck
Old Sep 1st 2013, 4:15 am

don't forget to put your details in the Arrivals and Departure sticky
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
don't forget to put your details in the Arrivals and Departure sticky
I'm going back to the UK
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Those feelings have always been with us. Going back for a holiday has really ignited the flame.

Mind made up...
Good for you luke!

Those feelings of being a permanent tourist remains with me....has done for some time .....

First real trip back in 8 years is in the planning....I plan to go with an open mind...so I can see the place with warts'n'all.

I keep getting mixed opinions from people over the situation in the uk, I need to go see for myself....I may find that its not all its cracked up to be in "MY" head.....and stay here for another 8 years....Who knows....

Good luck with the next chapter of your lives....Hope Jo has loved her stay as much as you & that the planning for your return starts soon....
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo and I having a skype session tonight. No doubt the topic will certainly crop up...
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Jo and I having a skype session tonight. No doubt the topic will certainly crop up...
Good luck, Duck!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

We both are coming to an agreement about it... for a move back to the UK, but while we are this side of the world do a little bit of travelling and end up in the UK; Starting a fresh chapter...
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

We both are coming to an agreement about it... for a move back to the UK, but while we are this side of the world do a little bit of travelling and end up in the UK; Starting a fresh chapter...
Good on you! Happy traveling. Many awesome place to visit down-under! And good luck with your move back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.