Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

I am going to say I want to leave

I am going to say I want to leave

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am going to say I want to leave

Totally get your dilemma Luke (and Jo). Love the attitude that you are taking the next step forward.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the family aspect, good and supportive family is a lot to give up. Each situation is so different for every individual, couple or family so no easy answer.

Good luck to you both, I hope you get back to the UK
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the kind words...
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
We both are coming to an agreement about it... for a move back to the UK, but while we are this side of the world do a little bit of travelling and end up in the UK; Starting a fresh chapter...
Sounds like a plan!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

All the best. Happy travels
Old Sep 5th 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

jodaid is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just come back from a UK visit after 2 1/2 years away, I wanted to see the UK as a drab, dreary place with unhappy people... but in fact I saw the total opposite.

I spent a few days in London which felt very prosperous and vibrant.
Lincoln felt like an actual city, people were happy and everything really felt on the up.
Can I ask why you wanted to view it that way?

The whole of England has been happy the past few months... it's the best weather we have had in years! In a couple of months everyone will be grumpy again and go back into hibernation for 9 months with the occasional trip somewhere just to moan about the fact that it's cold... and miserable... and cold... and freezing... Did I mention the cold?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jodaid

The whole of England has been happy the past few months... it's the best weather we have had in years! In a couple of months everyone will be grumpy again and go back into hibernation for 9 months with the occasional trip somewhere just to moan about the fact that it's cold... and miserable... and cold... and freezing... Did I mention the cold?
Danger! Sweeping statement! These are forbidden here.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Lol. It was a bit sweeping wasn't it.

I sometimes wonder if our family and friends back in the UK live in a parallel UK as they just live their lives and seem happy enough. They don't hibernate and weather doesn't seem to bother them or stop them from doing as they wish. Just like here I guess.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Lol. It was a bit sweeping wasn't it.

I sometimes wonder if our family and friends back in the UK live in a parallel UK as they just live their lives and seem happy enough. They don't hibernate and weather doesn't seem to bother them or stop them from doing as they wish. Just like here I guess.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

How much of difference does the weather actually make, from a day to day perspective?
If you book a weeks holiday somewhere you want good decent weather, but when you have daily chores, work etc etc you can't enjoy it all the time.

It is elements like this that I (luke) have started up put into perspective, when people justify a move little things like the weather crop up and are pressed upon strongly when hey you deal with what ever weather you get given.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 10:57 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. My kiwi husband says that if all a person has to complain about in life is the weather, they can't be doing to bad.

These 'live overseas' t.v. programmes tell people they can live on holiday for the rest of their lives. Surely no grown up is going to fall for that ?

I singularly detest the, frankly juvenile, refrain, 'live the dream'
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

How much of difference does the weather actually make, from a day to day perspective?
If you book a weeks holiday somewhere you want good decent weather, but when you have daily chores, work etc etc you can't enjoy it all the time.

It is elements like this that I (luke) have started up put into perspective, when people justify a move little things like the weather crop up and are pressed upon strongly when hey you deal with what ever weather you get given.
I think it matters quite a lot for lots of people. I love the weather here, really love the open, blue skies. Weather has been pretty fantastic down in Dunedin, mild winter and we are getting some beautiful sunny, amazing spring days. BUT would I choose where to live solely on the weather? No. Sure the UK can get depressing and quite bleak at times after a long, hard winter but there are so many other considerations than just the weather.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

jodaid is an unknown quantity at this point

How much difference? Absolutely none Mon-Fri for most people. The weekend? Sure it does for lots of people. It lifts your spirits Does everyone care? of course not. My post wasn't meant to be taken so literally.

Good luck with your new chapter... may it be as enjoyable as the one you just had
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jodaid

...and the central heating will keep us Brits all nice and cosy the winter through.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:52 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
...and the central heating will keep us Brits all nice and cosy the winter through.
what is central heating? oh yes. It's that system in your house that keeps you warm in the cold weather and stops you from getting flu and mould growth on your walls! New Zealanders say " we don't need that. No worries!"

YES YOU BLEEDING DO! It's like being in one of my counselling meetings back home. YOU ARE IN DENIAL.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
what is central heating? oh yes. It's that system in your house that keeps you warm in the cold weather and stops you from getting flu and mould growth on your walls! New Zealanders say " we don't need that. No worries!"

YES YOU BLEEDING DO! It's like being in one of my counselling meetings back home. YOU ARE IN DENIAL.
Central heating won't keep you cool in summer - a heat pump will!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.