Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Going the long way around

Going the long way around

Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going the long way around

Hi everyone,

A year and a bit later. I've settled into Christchurch, am about to go on my first girls weekend away with some of my Roller Derby team. I have periods of homesickness like I think most of us do but day to day I am settled and content here and feel that I'd like to be here long term.

So, having arrived on a WHV and switched to an Essential Skills Visa in Feb I have now just submitted an Expression of Interest to apply for residency. I felt really weird as I pushed PAY I've been so back and forth in what I thought was best but finally decided that residency gives me the most options and most security whilst I do decide if NZ is my long term home. I can certainly see myself here at least for 5-10 years and that gives me time to have citizenship and space to ping pong back if I need some time in the UK to be certain. It does feel like 'the long way around' but I am happier for having taken this route than dived straight into residency, especially given what happened in Timaru.

Now just gotta wait to see what they say about the EOI.

Hee!!
Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going the long way around

Good Luck Laura, good to hear from you again after your first experiences were so challenging.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:27 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laura!

Good update, pleased you decided to go for residency

Weekend away sounds fun! Where are you off to?
Old Sep 20th 2014, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty similar to myself Laura, WHV to 3 year skilled visa as a stop gap as my 1 year working rights was coming to an end and doubted my residency decision would come in time (whole not being able to work whilst decision being made). Thought I'd start printing out the EOI forms but soon got into it and few hours later all done and I'll be pissed if I don't get selected straight away as got 165 points and on the rebuild. Is a bit long winded but chch is certainly not for everyone, not yet but it will one day.
The roller derby sounds cool, tried to get peeps involved for the Friday meet v Auckland. I used to know one of the skaters based in new Brighton.