Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

First camping holiday in NZ

First camping holiday in NZ

Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:54 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First camping holiday in NZ

But that fly spray stuff isn't good for canvas tents. Takes away the waterproof protection (so I was told)
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:05 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps what I didn't explain is where we are going camping there is no electricity, no shower/toilet block, no shops. There is, I am gleefully informed, a long-drop toilet.

It is however just down the road from Numptyhead, needless to say I have programmed her phone numbers in to my mobile with great diligence!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:31 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Perhaps what I didn't explain is where we are going camping there is no electricity, no shower/toilet block, no shops. There is, I am gleefully informed, a long-drop toilet.

It is however just down the road from Numptyhead, needless to say I have programmed her phone numbers in to my mobile with great diligence!
I have a portable toilet that's never been used if you want it ??
Nice
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:36 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
But that fly spray stuff isn't good for canvas tents. Takes away the waterproof protection (so I was told)
I assume sprayed directly onto a nylon tent wouldn't do it any good either.

...having melted the plastic windows of a camper van in the past by spraying fly spray around the window
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:15 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bdclayton
I have a portable toilet that's never been used if you want it ??
Nice
Tempting as it is ...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Mmmmm need to look in to this as ours is a canvas tent.

Phyl x
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

WHAT!!!! You are braver than me. Stipulation was had to have a shower/toilet block,wasn't bothered about electricity and don't really bother with shops. You are one brave woman.

Phyl x

ps note to Numptyhead..........expect a visit

P x
Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:44 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Nice trip, done most of that area ourselves,

Like the comment about Dunners on retirn lol, thats why we moved out of town, those hills suck the crap in lol

Glad you had a great trip
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the piccies & diary it makes me want to think about camping a little bit more.......
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:55 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bolton1
Thanks for the piccies & diary it makes me want to think about camping a little bit more.......
Everyone should try the camping but to do it Kiwi style you have to take
your TV not portable but plasma
Freezer ( large size)
Fridge Very large
Microwave
Double bed not a foam mattress the proper kind
very large BBQ
Boat.
4x4
very large table
lots of beer
5 kids and grand parents to look after the kids
Alarm Clock ( have to be in bed by 10pm and awake by 6am )
i am sure i must have missed something ?
o yep very large hat

Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Its Thursday and its pissing it down in Matata. Poor Caroline and co. I am expecting to hear from her soon
Old Jan 21st 2010, 6:31 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone should try the camping but to do it Kiwi style you have to take
your TV not portable but plasma
Freezer ( large size)
Fridge Very large
Microwave
Double bed not a foam mattress the proper kind
very large BBQ
Boat.
4x4
very large table
lots of beer
5 kids and grand parents to look after the kids
Alarm Clock ( have to be in bed by 10pm and awake by 6am )
i am sure i must have missed something ?
o yep very large hat

And you're not kidding! A friend told me that in addition to the above essentials - the site they were staying on Kiwi's also took bunk beds for kids, carpet for the floor and a hoover which the guy diligently pushed round each morning!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 6:37 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Love the pics and write up Weejie. Sounds like you had a lovely time and got to see some stunning places.

We had our first camping trip up at Lake Coleridge. Water from stream, rota-loo (would have prefered own pit TBH!), no other facilities, no shops, and loved it. But then I was brought up 'freedom' camping on Dartmoor (before they banned it and blocked it off with huge stones). Love camping, just don't like organised sites - prefer to be out in wilderness (too much Grizzly Adams as a kid?!)
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:14 pm
Busy Again

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
And you're not kidding! A friend told me that in addition to the above essentials - the site they were staying on Kiwi's also took bunk beds for kids, carpet for the floor and a hoover which the guy diligently pushed round each morning!
that's what i call camping
maybe we should start a competition for the funniest camping photo ??
Attached Thumbnails First camping holiday in NZ-pict0884.jpg  

Last edited by bdclayton; Jan 21st 2010 at 7:47 pm. Reason: just dumb
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

that's what i call camping
maybe we should start a competition for the funniest camping photo ??
OMG

You gotta have karma for that !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.