Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

The First 12 Months Done and Dusted......

The First 12 Months Done and Dusted......

Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:07 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default The First 12 Months Done and Dusted......

Well, that's us just completed the first 12 months of our new life! I can honestly say it's been great, no drama's, virtually as expected and can't wait till we buy our first place.

I got here mid March, last year, with the rest of the family turning up mid April. We found a great little rental, with sea views out of 3 sides of the house, bought 2 'kiwi' cars (4x4's!) and started a business. The business side hasn't gone as well as hoped, so I got a full time job and have landed on my feet with the company I work for (great bunch of guys I can now call friends). The business just ticks along as a weekend earner.

Financially, we are doing good but we are renting, although the mortgage we need to buy a place would work out less a month than we currently pay in rent, so once we buy, we should still be good. We actually manage to save money, have a few hobbies and get out every weekend, whether it's just days out or weekends away, it's more than we managed in the UK.........and we didn't arrive here with bucket loads of cash, either. The house sold for 60k less than valued and then the exchange rate fell through the floor, so we turned up here with $150k less than we planned on! We have made it work, though and the kids are better for it. They have a full active social life (better than ours!) and have some great friends.

We live in Whangaparaoa, north of Auckland and settled on the place following a recce 2 years ago. I have friends already in the area and so walked into a ready made circle of friends and so somebody to turn to when help was needed. That has made all the difference and I believe that that part of the move has made things as easy as they are, for us. Without the friends, it could have turned out very differently.

So far, no homesickness or feelings of 'why did we do it', just all positive with a good mix of reality thrown in.

All in all, a most excellent choice of location and a move I would recommend to others.....just do your homework and plan for the unexpected and 'she'll be right'!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The First 12 Months Done and Dusted......

Originally Posted by sirplug
Well, that's us just completed the first 12 months of our new life! I can honestly say it's been great, no drama's, virtually as expected and can't wait till we buy our first place.

I got here mid March, last year, with the rest of the family turning up mid April. We found a great little rental, with sea views out of 3 sides of the house, bought 2 'kiwi' cars (4x4's!) and started a business. The business side hasn't gone as well as hoped, so I got a full time job and have landed on my feet with the company I work for (great bunch of guys I can now call friends). The business just ticks along as a weekend earner.

Financially, we are doing good but we are renting, although the mortgage we need to buy a place would work out less a month than we currently pay in rent, so once we buy, we should still be good. We actually manage to save money, have a few hobbies and get out every weekend, whether it's just days out or weekends away, it's more than we managed in the UK.........and we didn't arrive here with bucket loads of cash, either. The house sold for 60k less than valued and then the exchange rate fell through the floor, so we turned up here with $150k less than we planned on! We have made it work, though and the kids are better for it. They have a full active social life (better than ours!) and have some great friends.

We live in Whangaparaoa, north of Auckland and settled on the place following a recce 2 years ago. I have friends already in the area and so walked into a ready made circle of friends and so somebody to turn to when help was needed. That has made all the difference and I believe that that part of the move has made things as easy as they are, for us. Without the friends, it could have turned out very differently.

So far, no homesickness or feelings of 'why did we do it', just all positive with a good mix of reality thrown in.

All in all, a most excellent choice of location and a move I would recommend to others.....just do your homework and plan for the unexpected and 'she'll be right'!
Great to hear it's going so well.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:20 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear life is good for you & yours ......great to read a positive post, thanks
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:52 am
Just Joined

strange1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done we also moved to Whangaparaoa in November 2010 Husband is finding it hard to settle & eldest daughter has gone back to the UK We still have 4 kids here one at work & the other 3 seemed to have settled into schoolHoping that things will start to get better for hubbie as My sister lives here & would be torn in too if he decided he wants to go back to the UK. So pleased that you are enjoying it
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:10 am
Just Joined

carly5511 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done you!! I guess it's all in the attitude! I moved from the UK to Whangaparaoa in January 2011. My partner had already been here for 8 years and so we have created a big "blended" family of 5 kids!! That's interesting!! I really love it up here, it is a bit special eh?!!

The kids are all settled in school and getting complacent about the beach (they said it would never happen!) The only problem I'm having is finding a job. I am still waiting for residency and am hoping it's the work visa that's putting people off! What industry are you in?

It seems like we're taking over the peninsula?! Shhhhh, don't tell anyone!

Carly xxx
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely positive post!
Glad everything is going well for you.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:08 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, lovely, upbeat, positive post. So glad things are working out well. I'm sure it's easier when you arrive already knowing people. Seems there are lots of you in that area!
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Great update, tis lovely to hear when people have settled so well and will be inspirational for people still on the long immigration journey. We too arrived last year on the peninsular and absolutely love it here.
Am loolah your right there are loads of us here lol you only have to go to Frans quiz night on a weds when the whole pubs full of brits lol
Old May 5th 2011, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Hubbie & I miss our social life any good ideas where to go as we now have a baby sitter??? Would be v grateful for some ideas thanks guys
Old May 5th 2011, 5:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strange1
Hubbie & I miss our social life any good ideas where to go as we now have a baby sitter??? Would be v grateful for some ideas thanks guys
What do you like to do?
Old May 6th 2011, 5:49 am
Just Joined

A good laugh ha ha good company a few drinks just chilling with 5 kids I think it is much needed. Phil likes golf & I have just started at the gym our 11 plays football for HCS twins of 6 & to older ones who do their own thing so up for anything really cheers
Old May 9th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Good on ya mate.. Glads to see you have settled in well. Onwards and upwards then, so they say..

Gary.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:54 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strange1
A good laugh ha ha good company a few drinks just chilling with 5 kids I think it is much needed. Phil likes golf & I have just started at the gym our 11 plays football for HCS twins of 6 & to older ones who do their own thing so up for anything really cheers
Don't know what school the kids go to but Whangaparaoa Primary are having a 'girly fashion night' on the 1st July......my wife's going with a few friends...there'll be a bar and no kids!! Check the school newsletter for details

http://www.wgp.school.nz/Category?Ac...ategory_id=386

Other than that there's only the social mecca of Gulf Harbour (Vitalstatistix will fill you in on that!) and each others house for a BBQ...........unless anyone knows differently! My wife joined the gym at the leisure centre.....

Personally, I head for the HBC football club to see a few mates and have a beer (to be social,........ you understand)

And on another note, we're about to buy a house....have 3 to see tomorrow to help make the final choice and will be making an offer during next week.....watch this space!

And thanks for all the well wishes and comments........it really is a great move and the big step you take seems such a small one, when you're here!

Last edited by sirplug; Jun 25th 2011 at 4:56 am.