Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Big Stuey update - also into his 10th year. :-)

Big Stuey update - also into his 10th year. :-)

Old May 22nd 2014, 2:52 am
Just Joined

BigStuey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Big Stuey update - also into his 10th year. :-)

I left the UK in 2004 with my pregnant kiwi wife and headed for Auckland. Now 10 years later we're a family of 5 living 45 minutes south of Dunedin. I haven't been back to the UK in that time. Last time I was there, Tony Blair was PM, you could buy pik'n'mix from Woolworths, you could smoke in pubs and X-factor was still called Pop idol. I remember thinking I would be able to 'pop back'. I have missed weddings and funerals and the kids have a whole bunch of cousins they haven't ever met. My Nan gave me a big hug when I left, as if she thought she would never see me again. When she passed away 2 years ago she was proved right. When the legislation about non-EU spouses was brought in, it meant that if I ever wanted to return, with my family, to live in the land of my birth, I would have to go Surinder Singh route or separate for at least 6 months in the hope I could earn enough to justify the governments suspicion that my wife would burdern the UK taxpayer. So I feel that, we're not welcome in the UK anyway, even if I could afford to return. So NZ is home now, I've made my bed to lie in. Would I emigrate knowing now what I didn't know then? Probably. In life you just have to keep going forwards, push open the doors that come your way and see where it will lead you. I have been homesick around the 10 year mark. I tell myself that the UK has probably changed in the time I've been away but I sure do miss my family. My mum and step father have been over twice, third time this Christmas, but I haven't seen my father or my siblings for 10 years. I wonder sometimes if I'll ever see the UK and my family again, I'm only 44 and hope to go on for a few years yet, but 1 year became 2 became 5 became 10 real easy. So I've gotten use to the idea I might not.
Old May 22nd 2014, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Stuey update - also into his 10th year. :-)

Good update Stuey.

I've never heard of 'Surinder Singh Route' before, I googled it and read up on it. I never knew it was so complicated.
Old May 22nd 2014, 6:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Good update Stuey.

I've never heard of 'Surinder Singh Route' before, I googled it and read up on it. I never knew it was so complicated.
Spread your wings and get thyself into the MBTTUK forum .
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good update Stuey.

Yep, new "immigration" rules are proving quite difficult for British people with non British spouses!

Anyway, OP - good luck! Great update, how do you find the Deep South after Auckland?!?!
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:02 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigStuey
.... but 1 year became 2 became 5 became 10 real easy. So I've gotten use to the idea I might not.
I can totally relate to this .... its amazing really how the jump from 5 to 10 seems to go by so quick. We are coming up to our 17th year in the US and I really don't know where that time has gone.
Old May 22nd 2014, 7:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Big Stuey update - also into his 10th year. :-)

Good update Stuey.

Lots of info in the UK forum for people facing the complexities of moving back with non-EEA Spouses.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196 and
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Surinder_Singh

I really feel for those trying to move back, the British partners needs a job on a relatively high income, or a large amount of savings. The Surinder Singh route is virtually a backdoor, involving living in aother EA State first.
Very sudden changes that were brought in a couple of years ago, and which ere very poorly thought through.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you're ok Stuey. And you've got a lovely family. My husband and I moved to NZ in 2005 (for me it was coming home - I'm a NZ'er). We went back the year later for a visit. Haven't been back since. His parents have come over twice but ill health stops them now. I didn't realise until your post that the restictions on non EA residents were so harsh. Absolutely nuts.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Spread your wings and get thyself into the MBTTUK forum .
BEVS - sorry, I've been oblivious. I'vespent the afternoon reading about it. This is downright cruel legislation. Is their anywhere I can complain about it? I'm dual NZ/Irish so we're not affected. But I hate what it is doing to other families.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Just an update on life here. Just after I wrote this in July last year I got an infection on my elbow which turned to cellitus and then became severe sepsis and I ended up in Dunedin Hospitals ICU. What a great team of people the health care professionals are here, they certainly saved my life, so I'll add I'm grateful to them, the New Zealand Taxpayer (who spent a heap on antibiotics and nardrenaline for me) , St Johns Ambulance, even ACC were really helpful. No more regrets, glad to be alive. I said in the post that I didn't know if I'd ever see the UK again and I nearly didn't (still haven't been back) so be careful what you say, hope I didn't jinx myself!!!
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Just an update on life here. Just after I wrote this in July last year I got an infection on my elbow which turned to cellitus and then became severe sepsis and I ended up in Dunedin Hospitals ICU. What a great team of people the health care professionals are here, they certainly saved my life, so I'll add I'm grateful to them, the New Zealand Taxpayer (who spent a heap on antibiotics and nardrenaline for me) , St Johns Ambulance, even ACC were really helpful. No more regrets, glad to be alive. I said in the post that I didn't know if I'd ever see the UK again and I nearly didn't (still haven't been back) so be careful what you say, hope I didn't jinx myself!!!
Thanks for popping on by. I do hope you are fully recovered.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch. Glad you're on the mend Stuey.

If you're 45 south of here I'm guessing you're living in Milton or close by.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Not far, on the coast, Taieri Mouth