British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   NZ Update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/)
-   -   Back in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/back-uk-772439/)

bevissa65 Sep 23rd 2012 5:30 am

Back in UK

Well we finally decided enough was enough and made the huge decision to return to Blighty. It took OH two and a half years to find a job in NZ and when he got one he absolutely hated it, he began to resent being in NZ and our relationship suffered. After nearly 3 years of being mostly very happy with kiwi life I decided I needed to be nearer my family (we now have 2 small grandsons who have been a huge pull back!!) Our daughter also wanted to return and so we sold up and came back without telling our family so that surprised a few people!!!! We had rented our old house out and that is now empty so we can tidy up and decorate before the container arrives.

I miss my job and my lovely new friends, the scenery and the climate but my family and lovely old friends won in the end. My OH became the chirpy, happy man he used to be as soon as I said I wanted to return so we are back to how we used to be (thank God.)

We have no regrets at all about emigrating in the first place as you have to try it, but feel for us it wasn't the place to be. Hopefully we will settle back into our old lives with some very happy memories. Good luck to all those starting the journey and those who love it enough to stay. I keep telling myself we haven't failed just needed our family too much :( I don't half miss the views tho :) Bevissa

Assanah Sep 23rd 2012 7:46 pm

Re: Back in UK

All the best! Never easy to move countries. I have done this several times now.

escudier Sep 23rd 2012 9:56 pm

Good for you! I have been here for 8 years with hubby and 2 kids, kids where v little when we moved here so more like kiwis. I feel just like you, love the climate the mountains made some nice friends, my family are even here but i still get homesick. My hubby the same not his old self, even thinking of going back for a few years to actually earn some decent money!
Good luckk to u and bet its sooo nice to be home, and knowing u will be warm in the winter!!

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 23rd 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks for the update Bevissa. Get all notions of failure out of your head. Emigration isn't an exam, it's a choice to try something different for however long. You tried it & it wasn't working out for the whole family so you made the choice to return.

For me, your relationship with your OH is the most important aspect of this & it must be wonderful to see him happy. It takes guts to emigrate to the other side of the world, you did it, so be proud of that achievement.

Keep us posted with how you're getting along please.

luvwelly Sep 23rd 2012 11:26 pm

Welcome Home!

sirplug Sep 24th 2012 9:35 am

At least when you look back, you can say 'I tried it', instead of 'what if'.....

dannigirl Sep 24th 2012 12:50 pm

I agree with Vital, you have not "failed" in any way. You have done the right thing for you and your family, that can never be wrong or construed as a failure. Hope all goes well for you all in the UK!

MnB Sep 24th 2012 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 10296150)
Welcome Home!

Ditto what luvwelly said.......you stuck it out longer than me!... like you we have
no regrets and still think NZ is a 'must visit' place :lol:

sparkie down under Sep 27th 2012 6:51 am

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 10296856)
At least when you look back, you can say 'I tried it', instead of 'what if'.....

very well said.

What would be the point of being miserable in paradise (not saying that NZ is paradise of course - but you get my drift)

Expat Kiwi Oct 4th 2012 3:42 am

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 10295144)
Well we finally decided enough was enough and made the huge decision to return to Blighty. It took OH two and a half years to find a job in NZ and when he got one he absolutely hated it, he began to resent being in NZ and our relationship suffered. After nearly 3 years of being mostly very happy with kiwi life I decided I needed to be nearer my family (we now have 2 small grandsons who have been a huge pull back!!) Our daughter also wanted to return and so we sold up and came back without telling our family so that surprised a few people!!!! We had rented our old house out and that is now empty so we can tidy up and decorate before the container arrives.

I miss my job and my lovely new friends, the scenery and the climate but my family and lovely old friends won in the end. My OH became the chirpy, happy man he used to be as soon as I said I wanted to return so we are back to how we used to be (thank God.)

We have no regrets at all about emigrating in the first place as you have to try it, but feel for us it wasn't the place to be. Hopefully we will settle back into our old lives with some very happy memories. Good luck to all those starting the journey and those who love it enough to stay. I keep telling myself we haven't failed just needed our family too much :( I don't half miss the views tho :) Bevissa

Just wanted to wish you all the best, good luck with settling back in again. It sounds as if your OH is cock-a-hoop at being back :thumbsup: onwards and upwards!