British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   NZ Update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/)
-   -   Arrived Safe and Sound (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/arrived-safe-sound-708989/)

Angelaoliver Mar 12th 2011 5:14 am

Arrived Safe and Sound

Hi Guys

Arrived in Auckland yesterday and spent the night there, hopped on nakedbus.com and got here in Tauranga this afternoon :)

Had to drag 3 suitcases a few blocks with a bit of uphill, one wheel bust, to the hostel on Elizabeth Street. Not so easy when you're a weakling and not used to this heat!!! Anyway, I got my breath back and had a minute then popped over to Pak N Save to get something for tea. Forgetting how sore my arms actually were until I started to carry the bags back :thumbdown:

I am now back at the hostel, starving and have absolutely no energy to do anything.... dopey eyed and too flipping hot! Reception don't have a spare fan either. I am not complaining about the heat btw, I love it!

I have a house sorted out in Otumoetai, which I should be able to move into on Thursday.... so, if anyone has any tips and tricks about the area, please feel free to pass them on. Also, anyone know how you pronounce Otumoetai???

Right, think I will go and grab a bite to eat before I fall into some form of unconscious state :)

Take care
Angela

j19fmm Mar 12th 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Arrived Safe and Sound

Originally Posted by Angelaoliver (Post 9234224)
Hi Guys

Arrived in Auckland yesterday and spent the night there, hopped on nakedbus.com and got here in Tauranga this afternoon :)

Had to drag 3 suitcases a few blocks with a bit of uphill, one wheel bust, to the hostel on Elizabeth Street. Not so easy when you're a weakling and not used to this heat!!! Anyway, I got my breath back and had a minute then popped over to Pak N Save to get something for tea. Forgetting how sore my arms actually were until I started to carry the bags back :thumbdown:

I am now back at the hostel, starving and have absolutely no energy to do anything.... dopey eyed and too flipping hot! Reception don't have a spare fan either. I am not complaining about the heat btw, I love it!

I have a house sorted out in Otumoetai, which I should be able to move into on Thursday.... so, if anyone has any tips and tricks about the area, please feel free to pass them on. Also, anyone know how you pronounce Otumoetai???

Right, think I will go and grab a bite to eat before I fall into some form of unconscious state :)

Take care
Angela

Hope your tired arms feel better soon :thumbsup: Here's to the rest of it!!!

MnB Mar 12th 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Guys

Take care
Angela

:thumbsup: Good to hear you've arrived safe & sound..... :fingerscrossed: am sure you'll soon find some energy and hope your arms recover quickly!
Just be kind to yourself....jet lag does creep up on you!
:lol: B x

LukeandJo Mar 13th 2011 1:00 pm

Sounds like you need a long cold shower.

kiwi19 Mar 14th 2011 9:24 pm

it is pronounced O2-mow-tie
have a great time settling in and good luck

Angelaoliver Mar 17th 2011 7:20 am

Thanks guys!

I started a blog www.angeandjohninnz.wordpress.com have a read if you're bored ;)

Markk Mar 17th 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Guys

Take care
Angela

Hi Angela,

Welcome to Tauranga! :)

Otumoetai is a nice area on the whole so you should be good. If you are renting a house sometimes the agent allows the area boundaries to become very fuzzy so you may end up in Brookfield or Bellevue! That's not necessarily bad but people would rather live in Otumoetai which is thought of as being better!

Otumoetai is pronounced 'O Tum O Thai'. It took us ages to be able to say it!

Mark

Angelaoliver Mar 17th 2011 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Markk (Post 9246817)
Hi Angela,

Welcome to Tauranga! :)

Otumoetai is a nice area on the whole so you should be good. If you are renting a house sometimes the agent allows the area boundaries to become very fuzzy so you may end up in Brookfield or Bellevue! That's not necessarily bad but people would rather live in Otumoetai which is thought of as being better!

Otumoetai is pronounced 'O Tum O Thai'. It took us ages to be able to say it!

Mark

Thanks Mark. It's very close to Brookfield so
Not sure... The address does say Otumoetai, it's overlooking the estuary, moved in yesterday :)

Am Loolah Mar 17th 2011 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Angelaoliver (Post 9246823)
Not sure... The address does say Otumoetai, it's overlooking the estuary, moved in yesterday :)

Welcome, is it on Margaret Road? Or thereabouts? On the whole it's ok around there.:thumbsup:

Markk Mar 17th 2011 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Angelaoliver (Post 9246823)

If you are overlooking the estuary it's probably Bellevue, but that's OK! Suburb boundaries are very hazy!

Angelaoliver Mar 18th 2011 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Markk (Post 9246840)
If you are overlooking the estuary it's probably Bellevue, but that's OK! Suburb boundaries are very hazy!

Haha it's all good either way :)

Boogieboard Mar 19th 2011 7:31 pm

Welcome Angela!
Can be very overwhelming when you get here can't it! Been here 9 months now and love it... hope your starting to settle :)

Angelaoliver Mar 20th 2011 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Boogieboard (Post 9250629)
Welcome Angela!
Can be very overwhelming when you get here can't it! Been here 9 months now and love it... hope your starting to settle :)

Hi Boogieboard!

Yeah pretty overwhelming, I have some good people around me but trying not to be clingy ;) so haven't seen them for a few days. Start work tomorrow so that should speed things up a bit until my hubbie gets here, missing him terribly at the moment!

Oh and the weta freak me out!!

BEVS Mar 20th 2011 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Angelaoliver (Post 9251412)

Start work tomorrow so that should speed things up a bit until my hubbie gets here, missing him terribly at the moment!

Oh and the weta freak me out!!

It' s the other way around as you get older. :p

Otumoetai
Has a place in our hearts. We stayed with some people there in '97 and simple thought WOW

www.angeandjohninnz.wordpress.com

Brill :thumbsup: Link it into your profile.

rick78 Mar 20th 2011 10:57 pm

NEver spoken to you but really enjoyed reading your blog... we're heading out in July and nerves are starting to settle in!

I've recently started our own blog... but will now migrate to wordpress after seeing your site :thumbsup: