Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Almost two years on and.........friendships are hard to come by!!!!

Almost two years on and.........friendships are hard to come by!!!!

Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost two years on and.........friendships are hard to come by!!!!

Vancouverites are like that too. I've never talked about sex/relationships/<insertname of private topic here> so much in my life with so many people I didn't know @ work. HAHA. It's different all right. I found it really, really challenging initially - I mean, this is stuff I would only discuss with my BFF in NZ.

having said that,I'm now at a company with a lot of immigrants and the conversation is much more PC, I think because people are so afraid of offending those from more conservative cultures.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Speaking as a Mancunian,I know how friendly people can be in the North of England. Friendliness of people was one of the main reasons we chose to emigrate to NZ over other countries(2 yrs ago now)
I have also lived in London for 10 yrs, Cornwall (8) & North Yorkshire(10) where I met my lovely hubbie & had our beautiful son
I have 3 close mancunian friends, 2 Londoners & 3 good friends I made in Yorkshire. I enjoyed living in Cornwall the least because I found people generally closed & unfriendly...although 2 out of the 3 friends I made there are Cornish
I do believe good friends are hard to come by, but worth waiting for. I have felt some close connections in NZ to kiwis, not to people from the UK on the whole, although I've met a few very nice people from this site. Just because we are a homogeneous group of people doesn't mean we will automatically make that connection that develops. it is a far more complex recipe.
All my close friends I've known for a minimum of 10yrs, to meet a true friend involves being patient & laid back is a good place to be
I still feel curious, open & interested in meeting new people, but know it takes time. Stay positive or kia kaha as they say out here
Old Jan 17th 2012, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hippygran, I was just being nosy & looking at your profile (part of me getting to grips with being a mod ) & I noticed that one of your interests is the theatre. Have you thought of volunteering? We are always looking for people to help out at Centrestage Theatre in Orewa. We have volunteers from youngsters to pensioners. We have made so many friends through this & just wondered if you would be interested.

I'm more than happy to meet you & show you around if you would like. Just a thought
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Hi Hippygran, I was just being nosy & looking at your profile (part of me getting to grips with being a mod ) & I noticed that one of your interests is the theatre. Have you thought of volunteering? We are always looking for people to help out at Centrestage Theatre in Orewa. We have volunteers from youngsters to pensioners. We have made so many friends through this & just wondered if you would be interested.

I'm more than happy to meet you & show you around if you would like. Just a thought
Hi, will PM you.

J
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hippygran2
Hi, will PM you.

J
Thanks, I shall get back to you in a couple of days. Got a busy weekend ahead.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:36 am
Just Joined

allysonone is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Almost two years on and.........friendships are hard to come by!!!!

Hello Hippygran
I'm brand new to this forum,and living in the U.K.I'm 60 and lived with my husband and children in NZ from 1987 to 1997 so we are citizens.During our time there i spent many lonely years and my friends were ex pat brits .Friends weren't an issue for my husband being a workaholic.I didn't make any really good friends who were kiwis, mainly because where i lived was parochial, and i found people anti English.
When we returned to the UK,we went to live in London,which was equally difficult,and have no close friends due to us constantly moving.My husband is a contractor and we have moved house virtually every year for past 10 years.The upside is we enjoy some things London has to offer,museums art culture etc,and we have the bonus of bus passes travelling for free round London.I left one son over there,as he met a kiwi girl,and my other son and daughter came here with us.My other son has now returned to NZ.My husband really wants to return to NZ and whilst i'm not that happy here, am wondering how i will make friends as a retired lady, and whether i will be back to square one.I really feel for you,as it is really difficult.Wonder what youre advice is for me.Is there a section for retired ex pats?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allysonone
Hello Hippygran
I'm brand new to this forum,and living in the U.K.I'm 60 and lived with my husband and children in NZ from 1987 to 1997 so we are citizens.During our time there i spent many lonely years and my friends were ex pat brits .Friends weren't an issue for my husband being a workaholic.I didn't make any really good friends who were kiwis, mainly because where i lived was parochial, and i found people anti English.
When we returned to the UK,we went to live in London,which was equally difficult,and have no close friends due to us constantly moving.My husband is a contractor and we have moved house virtually every year for past 10 years.The upside is we enjoy some things London has to offer,museums art culture etc,and we have the bonus of bus passes travelling for free round London.I left one son over there,as he met a kiwi girl,and my other son and daughter came here with us.My other son has now returned to NZ.My husband really wants to return to NZ and whilst i'm not that happy here, am wondering how i will make friends as a retired lady, and whether i will be back to square one.I really feel for you,as it is really difficult.Wonder what youre advice is for me.Is there a section for retired ex pats?
I know some one quite a lot older than you that went to NZ last year to live with her daughter near Wellington.
This person had lived in Australia for a number of years prior to returning to England.
Being a Bridge player saved her from a live of tedium and perhaps lonliness in both Oz and has got her into a circle of sorts in NZ.
Just a thought. Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Hello Hippygran
If not there should be,us retires need company to !!!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

I have got to say that i am a very youthful (in my mind anyway) 60year old.Went to see the killers live 2 years back,so i am not ready for the knackers yard,and have met people in their early 50s that are much older in their ways.Bridge wouldn't be my thing,but love walking and keeping fit.As you said maybe there should be a club for the older ones!If we came over there we would be in the wellington region.I would like to live in the city where its happening.My husband disagrees and would like a garden
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I have got to say that i am a very youthful (in my mind anyway) 60year old.Went to see the killers live 2 years back,so i am not ready for the knackers yard,and have met people in their early 50s that are much older in their ways.Bridge wouldn't be my thing,but love walking and keeping fit.As you said maybe there should be a club for the older ones!If we came over there we would be in the wellington region.I would like to live in the city where its happening.My husband disagrees and would like a garden
Bridge wouldn't certainly be for me either regardless of age, but it is a route into getting to meet folk.

Wellington sounds like the city to be in if one does decide on New Zealand. By all accounts it has a fairly lively art scene.

You like like me give me the inner city anytime. To have to drive to get a litre of milk for example would do my nut.

Would actually prefer to be auto free as was in London. Still got a lot going for it. Especially the walks and parks along with the stimulation.
But a fan of a few European cities but not the most convenient for living in perhaps.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

I live 20mins train ride into London.When i returned from NZ in 1997 i never thought i would cope with all the people traffic etc but you get used to it.When i emmigrated to NZ i had lived all my life in a very quiet spot in the north of England but had done a stint in Belgium and Holland so found life in Wellington very busy,but after living here and being open minded not sure whether i could cope with the parochialism that i experienced when i lived there,in fact some hostility.My son says that hasn't changed.What is Perth like?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Thanks, I shall get back to you in a couple of days. Got a busy weekend ahead.
Hi,
Your birthday, I gather, hope you have a great time.

J.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Yes,there are clubs for people of retirement age - such as the 60's up, Probus Club etc. They go on day trips and have guest speakers etc but, to be honest, ther'e not my sort of thing, I prefer to be doing rather than being 'entertained' and, sorry to say but Bridge would bored me rigid. I go to an international coffee morning on a fairly regular basis in which I have met & chatted with people of all ages & nationalities who have made a similar journey as myself which has been helpful but no on-going friendships have materialised. In recent months I and my husband have now started to feel as though NZ is 'home' and I think I am more 'relaxed' about the 'friendship' thing. Still happy to try new things and see where that leads me. Although coming up to 72 (in two weeks), I still love to dance, be silly, have a giggle and just enjoy life whilst I am fit and able to, certainly don't feel in my 70's. So I will keep on walking my beautiful beagle, do my voluntary work and see what else turns up that would catch my interest.

Good luck to all

Joan x
Hello Hippygran
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hippygran2
Hi,
Your birthday, I gather, hope you have a great time.

J.
Many thanks, I did . Seems to take me a good while to recover these days
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I live 20mins train ride into London.When i returned from NZ in 1997 i never thought i would cope with all the people traffic etc but you get used to it.When i emmigrated to NZ i had lived all my life in a very quiet spot in the north of England but had done a stint in Belgium and Holland so found life in Wellington very busy,but after living here and being open minded not sure whether i could cope with the parochialism that i experienced when i lived there,in fact some hostility.My son says that hasn't changed.What is Perth like?
I would prefer to be where you are in many ways. Afraid parochialism is how Perth is a a large degree. Expect today it will be very visible being Australia Day. Also 40 degrees so a real killer. All week similar temperature.
Although Wellington I believe as a bit of a cultured scene I doubt if I could live there. Speaking purely on gut feeling as never been there but NZ wouldn't do it for me .

I lived in Amsterdam for a time in my younger days so cities like that and London remain sort of favourites although things change with time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.