Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:11 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Originally Posted by Genesis
If NZ is good for them and their careers I guess they will stay. Who knows? All 3 may be low achievers (like their dad) and be happy plodding like I did.
Ok fair enough. I'll keep this in mind when reading your posts.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Ok fair enough. I'll keep this in mind when reading your posts.
Cushty mate!

Do you know where that Delm Boy comment comes from? Cushtybar (sp) in India was a really good, easy and well liked posting for the british army lads in the days of the Raj, hence the abbreviation to 'Cushty' if things went well.

Some of the info. one picks up on the wireless is so utterly useless eh??
Old Feb 18th 2012, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matelot
I do get your drift Dannigirl.... but no way have millions of people lost their entire pension!
UK has always had better safeguards re investor protection. The finance company thing here was simply unbelievable to me. Note that the investor protection introduced by the Clark Labour Government in response to Australia's move, has now expired. If the Australian owned Kiwi banks go under, your savings are not protected by the NZ Government. In the UK they still are up to a certain amount. The UK therefore has much better governance/investor protection in general than NZ. Genesis is totally entitled to feel resentful about what happened to his monies in lax NZ.

I split my money between the 2 countries because of this lack of protection thingy here.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Well surely the day to day living has something to do with governance, culture, the way "we" think....NZ is the way it is because New Zealanders (all and sundry) make it that way. It's not just luck that your day to day life is better......
For me the scenery, the coffee and the weather are all better than the UK...none of these 3 have much to do with New Zealanders themselves.

Anyone who loses NZ$80k in the NZ finance company fiasco is entitled to feel aggrieved. It is a wonder he is as positive as he is about NZ.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 4:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
UK has always had better safeguards re investor protection. The finance company thing here was simply unbelievable to me. Note that the investor protection introduced by the Clark Labour Government in response to Australia's move, has now expired. If the Australian owned Kiwi banks go under, your savings are not protected by the NZ Government. In the UK they still are up to a certain amount. The UK therefore has much better governance/investor protection in general than NZ. Genesis is totally entitled to feel resentful about what happened to his monies in lax NZ.

I split my money between the 2 countries because of this lack of protection thingy here.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it mind-blowing.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
For me the scenery, the coffee and the weather are all better than the UK...none of these 3 have much to do with New Zealanders themselves.

Anyone who loses NZ$80k in the NZ finance company fiasco is entitled to feel aggrieved. It is a wonder he is as positive as he is about NZ.
Thank you kindly Luvwelly for understanding and thoughtful words, I really appreciate it!!!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

I also empathise with Genisis' financial loss. He and I are a similar age, and if you lose that sort of money at our stage of life, it can be very difficult to write it off, or think to yourself, hey-ho, I can make it up in earnings over the next x years.
My loss is through the crap exchange rate. Since returning to the UK to look after my Mother in 2008, the decline of the UK £ agin the NZ$, means that all I've managed to save in the intervening years, has been 'lost' to the exchange rate - I'm actually worse off than I was 4 years ago, despite my savings, and that's not inconsequential.
The rate is just awful, for those going UK to NZ, and I believe it'll get a little worse still, before it levels out, and maybe climbs back up a tad IMHO.
Whatever the causes, it's the poor sods at the coal-face tha have to 'deal' with it.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's truly awful that Genesis lost a substantial amount of money! Really, really awful and I would not wish that on anyone.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dannigirl
There are worrying elements in every country. I work in social services (in the UK), believe me I see the scum of the earth in this country day in day out, does it colour my whole view of this country? No, because I know and respect the fact that there are many great things about this country and I feel very privileged as an immigrant to work and raise my family here despite all of the problems I could choose to dwell on. I try my hardest everyday to be a good citizen and feel I do my bit with the job that I do, hopefully contributing to making social problems less of an issue. When and if we leave this country it will be a very sad day.
I really like this a great deal , so you're getting karma for this post Dannigirl. Not because it is about my own homeland as opposed to yours but because it is so balanced & fair.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 7:57 am
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LeeMarMit
run into the ground by appalling governance and poor private/public leadership.
So is the UK I'm afraid, I think you'll find the same sentiments expressed about every other country represented on this forum. If this is the main reason you're leaving you may find the same frustrations and disappointment wherever you go....
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T-Pot
So is the UK I'm afraid, I think you'll find the same sentiments expressed about every other country represented on this forum. If this is the main reason you're leaving you may find the same frustrations and disappointment wherever you go....
Think you'll find that LeeMarMit was a troll & has been banned
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:24 am
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Think you'll find that LeeMarMit was a troll & has been banned
I'm not surprised
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by T-Pot
I'm not surprised
It may help if you check the age of the threads and posts.

He was removed by me for his tone to others . He clearly felt strongly but was unable to express it in a way that was less emotive.

As this thread has now been highjacked again for reasons not connected to the OP or her topic I'm closing the thread.