Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Old Dec 31st 2011, 2:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Originally Posted by honeybunny2011
I have no plans to leave yet but I think it will happen. I do like nz and it many ways its better than home but i dont likes its location in the world. I hate the mini battle i have going on inside my head about staying or leaving. British expats has been fantastic with helping me decide whats best. Thank you.
Know what you mean. I have that happen from time to time. There are lots of things I would miss about NZ but I think I would settle back into life in the UK pretty well. The OH loves living here & doesn't want to return, I love the OH & wouldn't be happy without him, so here we are to stay . I don't dislike it enough here to force a return back 'home', like you say, in many ways it is better.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old Dec 31st 2011, 2:36 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I have no plans to leave yet but I think it will happen. I do like nz and it many ways its better than home but i dont likes its location in the world. I hate the mini battle i have going on inside my head about staying or leaving. British expats has been fantastic with helping me decide whats best. Thank you.
Yeah I had that mini battle going on in my head for 24 years, but in reverse, deciding whether I should return to my homeland of NZ. I don't know how to get past it except by going back and seeing how it is. I made the right choice for me and am feeling settled.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 2:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have no plans to leave yet but I think it will happen. I do like nz and it many ways its better than home but i dont likes its location in the world. I hate the mini battle i have going on inside my head about staying or leaving. .
I can relate to this & that's after 8 years here & counting.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

mrsmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point

ditto ditto ditto - been here 11 years in May - my dad died in March (in UK) mum is on her own now - I am only child _ I feel responsible, but my kids now 20, 18 and 7 are well embroilled in NZ life - gave up nursing now work via NZ company doing medical work for UK hospitals.. if it wasn't for the kids - would go back tomorrow.... I love the clean side of NZ, don't like the lack of choice, both for food/clothes and how blasted expensive everything except toilet paper is here! I have to buy almost everything online via ebay to get a bargain! No choice of what to do weekends.. when you've done the beach 100 times etc etc, kelly tarltons, rainbows end blah blah - again have not made many friends - only a few UK and a couple of Kiwi ones - only felt like this for about 2 years now.... but getting worse - like a kind of depression!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:41 am
Just Joined

vicci is an unknown quantity at this point

Hay Mrs Mcgoo, I see you live in Red Beach I'm in Stanmore Bay if you would like to meet up for a cuppa.

Originally Posted by mrsmcgoo
ditto ditto ditto - been here 11 years in May - my dad died in March (in UK) mum is on her own now - I am only child _ I feel responsible, but my kids now 20, 18 and 7 are well embroilled in NZ life - gave up nursing now work via NZ company doing medical work for UK hospitals.. if it wasn't for the kids - would go back tomorrow.... I love the clean side of NZ, don't like the lack of choice, both for food/clothes and how blasted expensive everything except toilet paper is here! I have to buy almost everything online via ebay to get a bargain! No choice of what to do weekends.. when you've done the beach 100 times etc etc, kelly tarltons, rainbows end blah blah - again have not made many friends - only a few UK and a couple of Kiwi ones - only felt like this for about 2 years now.... but getting worse - like a kind of depression!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vicci
Hay Mrs Mcgoo, I see you live in Red Beach I'm in Stanmore Bay if you would like to meet up for a cuppa.
will send you a pm
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

I have done quite a bit of moaning when i first came here, then went back home and saw that i had infact made a mistake and came back here again. I shut my mouth for so long because i felt that I wasnt really giving it my best shot here. So now after another 3 years I'm feeling slowly like you have described - its getting worse. A feeling that I just cannot shake yet its not totally the pits here. I have friends, my kids are happy but I feel its not for me. We are now looking at a move to Canada so will see where that leads us. Get busy living or get busy dying.............
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
I have done quite a bit of moaning when i first came here, then went back home and saw that i had infact made a mistake and came back here again. I shut my mouth for so long because i felt that I wasnt really giving it my best shot here. So now after another 3 years I'm feeling slowly like you have described - its getting worse. A feeling that I just cannot shake yet its not totally the pits here. I have friends, my kids are happy but I feel its not for me. We are now looking at a move to Canada so will see where that leads us. Get busy living or get busy dying.............
Good luck with Canada. Visited both toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver many years ago. With kids I would say Vancouver or Toronto, but from what I gather very extreme winter/summers - can you hack the snow drifts? Winnipeg was flat/ boring and middle of nowhere! Ps am also med sec and was a nurse - the medical terminology there can be quite different, like America but adapt to suit. Nice people Canadians
Old Jan 13th 2012, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Linbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

will send you a pm
Mrs mcgoo
i am arriving in red beach 19 jan with family and looking forward to our new lives there hope we bump into you to get the lowdown on the area
Old Jan 13th 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Linbin
Mrs mcgoo
i am arriving in red beach 19 jan with family and looking forward to our new lives there hope we bump into you to get the lowdown on the area
well pm when you get here after jet lag has subsided and will meet up for a cuppa
Old Jan 13th 2012, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

well pm when you get here after jet lag has subsided and will meet up for a cuppa
Linbin will need to have posted 3 times to be able to access the PM function
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:09 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Having enough of NZ I can understand. Back to England though, really? I would sooner shave with a bread knife every morning than face that again.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:53 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

I know what you mean for example being able to fly to Europe from Uk or anywhere in the world easily. oh well we cant have everything all the time! I have lived in the northern hemisphere, the southern hemisphere, the tropics and the equator. I think I prefer the equator. But as I said we cant have everything all the time! dont miss the potholes!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Been here 3 years now and have ping ponged really do not feel like I fit in, Mrsmcgoo I live in Torbay and like you know very few people. I miss my family but they have their own lives so will not speak see them any less if we return.
I like some others like some aspects on NZ but not the location/choice, I do miss the UK countryside and seasons, Christmas in the summer I still find strange.

I love the cafe culture the freedom of the beach and parks, to visit Browns bay and not have to pay to park is wonderful for a similar place in Cornwall or devon you would have paid 3.20 for 2 hours. I miss the pubs not that I am a drinker but a good circular walk over the moors ending at a pub was bliss.

If I did a 'Wanted Down Under' filp of the flag I think I would be stuck between the 2! lol!

We have relis in Vancouver and did look into that, but not sure it would offer us any different and we would still miss the UK!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:14 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly i like it here, but i liked living in the uk too. Not better or worsevjust different, as it should be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.