British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   NZ Update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/)
-   -   8 months in Auckland... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/8-months-auckland-870851/)

sr71 Apr 25th 2018 6:15 am

Re: 8 months in Auckland...

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 11846811)
Careerwise, they would no doubt be better off in the UK.

Once educated in NZ, their opportunities are very restricted.

I disagree, maybe if they stay in NZ, but the NZ education system and schools are generally better than the UK. Once they have a degree there is nothing stopping them working anywhere in the world, just like UK graduates.

There is no shortage of Kiwi senior execs in Australia, Asia, the USA and the UK.

In many cases the opportunities are better for Kiwi's because they are coming in from outside, rather than following progression through a company.

jayandbill Jun 8th 2018 6:01 am

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 11846811)
I understand what you say, but I think people worry unnecessarily about the effect on their kids. Perhaps they wont want to live in NZ anyway? Careerwise, they would no doubt be better off in the UK. we can all criticise tne UK , just as everywhere else, but to me, it and its people have character; they have far more ob opportunties than in NZ; Europe on their doorstep, etc. To me, NZ lacks soul; in general , its people have ittle interest in anything that's going on in the world, and there has to be a reason why its young people, get up and shoot off to somewhere else, as soon as they can.
Returning to the UK and starting over again, would be no fun at all, but its temporary. You need to think long term, and at least you know , if all goes wrong, you wouldnt be without a roof over your head, food in your stomach, and the NHS, which with all its faults, is still a wonderful service and free. My kids have grown up now, but we made sure they had a UK education in their back pockets, and the ability to stay or leave. Once educated in NZ, their opportunities are very restricted.

As regards how the children will feel about going back to UK, I can only say that friends of my daughter, who came here about 14+ years ago, returned to England 5 years ago when their kids were between 3 and 15 and have never looked back. They had NZ citizenship and could have come back here if they changed their minds but they're are still there. Other friends did the same thing and have never looked back. The kids are doing well. there's more opportunity in UK. My husband and I came here 8 years ago to be with our family because both of ours moved here at the same time with their 8 children. It seemed like a no-brainer for us retirees but I miss so much about England and find NZ quite bland and no more beautiful than the UK and Europe. and the grandchildren have grown up so we see very little of them. Our daughter lives in the same street and she is the reason we stay here.

BEVS Jun 8th 2018 7:03 am

Originally Posted by jayandbill (Post 12512544)
As regards how the children will feel about going back to UK, I can only say that friends of my daughter, who came here about 14+ years ago, returned to England 5 years ago when their kids were between 3 and 15 and have never looked back. They had NZ citizenship and could have come back here if they changed their minds but they're are still there. Other friends did the same thing and have never looked back. The kids are doing well. there's more opportunity in UK. My husband and I came here 8 years ago to be with our family because both of ours moved here at the same time with their 8 children. It seemed like a no-brainer for us retirees but I miss so much about England and find NZ quite bland and no more beautiful than the UK and Europe. and the grandchildren have grown up so we see very little of them. Our daughter lives in the same street and she is the reason we stay here.

You speak with a sense, love and wisdom that comes from actually living with this day on day, week on week, year on year.

You need a hug.

Kiwijock65 Aug 13th 2018 10:23 am

Hi,
I fully understand how you all feel.
I am feeling the same but in the opposite way. I was born in New Zealand but my mother moved us to Scotland after my father died in NZ. They had emigrated 25 years earlier from Scotland. I was 10 years old when we moved to Scotland - I am now 52! It took me quite a few years as a kid to feel happy in Scotland. I ended up with a decent career and have been blessed with a loving wife and 2 lovely kids. Can't really say I felt like I was home though!!
I have always had a yearning for moving back to NZ. Now after all these years and after a holiday there last year my wife and kids,(22 and 19) all want to give it a go in NZ. A brother and sister moved back to NZ 6 years ago after our mother died and they have no regrets. We plan to rent out our house in UK then rent in NZ to see how everyone settles in initially and hopefully things will work out and we'll all be happy to stay in NZ.
I am worried about cost of living there, jobs for my son and daughter etc,etc. but we are positive about it and my son and daughter have plans for what they would like to do in NZ and are looking forward to a slightly different way of life and probably healthier. I want to give them the chance to try it and am pleased I can give them the opportunity.
The UK (and Europe) is not what it used to be, (very unsettled shall we say) and now seems as good a time as any to make the move.
Good luck and happiness to you all - whatever you decide to do.

Chipster Aug 13th 2018 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Kiwijock65 (Post 12547549)
Hi,
I fully understand how you all feel.
I am feeling the same but in the opposite way. I was born in New Zealand but my mother moved us to Scotland after my father died in NZ. They had emigrated 25 years earlier from Scotland. I was 10 years old when we moved to Scotland - I am now 52! It took me quite a few years as a kid to feel happy in Scotland. I ended up with a decent career and have been blessed with a loving wife and 2 lovely kids. Can't really say I felt like I was home though!!
I have always had a yearning for moving back to NZ. Now after all these years and after a holiday there last year my wife and kids,(22 and 19) all want to give it a go in NZ. A brother and sister moved back to NZ 6 years ago after our mother died and they have no regrets. We plan to rent out our house in UK then rent in NZ to see how everyone settles in initially and hopefully things will work out and we'll all be happy to stay in NZ.
I am worried about cost of living there, jobs for my son and daughter etc,etc. but we are positive about it and my son and daughter have plans for what they would like to do in NZ and are looking forward to a slightly different way of life and probably healthier. I want to give them the chance to try it and am pleased I can give them the opportunity.
The UK (and Europe) is not what it used to be, (very unsettled shall we say) and now seems as good a time as any to make the move.
Good luck and happiness to you all - whatever you decide to do.

I'm also 52 but I don't have any ties to NZ. I want to emigrate as like you I don't like the direction the UK and Europe is going.
I have a good career, good job and a nice house in a lovely area and part of the country.
My kids are 20 and 17. 17 year old is planning to go to university next autumn which complicates things.
My daughter (20) has said she wouldn't go, my son(17) has said he would but after uni by which time I'll be too old.
So it's complicated.

Kiwijock65 Aug 13th 2018 2:06 pm

[ taking standards of NZ life as we find them rather than comparing it to life in the UK - yes, I expect to hear cries of 'lower your expectations'' lol; embracing stuff like walking, camping, surfing etc that NZ does well.
:[/QUOTE]

Totally agree - I think that is the key and is part of the attraction for me in moving back to NZ. In my humble opinion life in the UK is not what it is cracked up to be these days - it is by no means Great Britain anymore. Putting up with the dreary weather and ever increasing corrupt governments has dragged the UK down. Not really interested in flying off to Spain or somewhere for the annual 2 week holiday just so I can get some sun then go back to the same old routine.

jayandbill Aug 16th 2018 6:06 am

I understand that the UK has a lot of problems, Brexit being one and some undesirable immigrants being another, but New Zealand has also changed since our first holiday here 14 years ago. we came every summer for 4 years before moving here permanently. We thought it was wonderful. no traffic jams, free parking and so much to see and do but now that we've seen most of it I'm finding it boring. Auckland has changed beyond recognition and getting to it and around it is no fun. Tauranga , where we live has also changed. If you come to NZ be prepared for higher food prices. - but everyone knows that by now. You'll miss central heating because this isn't the tropics and the sun doesn't always shine. Winters can be quite cold. Make sure you move into a house with double glazing and insulation. We have both , but I'm always cold in winter. I don't think the environment is any healthier than most of UK, which is still 80% rural and NZ has lost it's Clean, Green pure image. On the financial side, as pensioners, we miss the 11,000 pound annual tax free allowance and the NHS. I appreciate that this is all a bit negative but you don't know until you've lived it. A holiday is one thing but living it is something else. I've been lucky to have been back to Sussex for a month in each of the last 3 years, in July or September, and realise how much more interesting the UK is and Europe not too far away.

Kiwijock65 Aug 16th 2018 7:40 am

Hi JayandBill,
Thanks for your message and advice.
I understand everything you have said regarding NZ versus UK positives and negatives. I know what you mean about things changing over the years. I was only 10 years old when I moved to UK from NZ and never got back to NZ until I was almost 40. As I was very young when I left I don't have really vivid memories of everything, but I noticed exactly what you mean as I was in Auckland for a couple of days.I was born and lived Rotorua area and I noticed big changes there. We also lived in Christchurch for a couple of years.... when I went back there I noticed a big change in the amount of different nationalities of people living there.
So, I agree with your point and regarding housing issues with heating, high prices etc etc. Yes I admit these are things I am a bit wary of. My brother and sister moved back to NZ 6 years ago and they tell me all these things but still say they don't regret making the move back. regarding tax? I have been paying 40% for the last 12 years and it really makes my blood boil now. I would be paying 33% in NZ I believe.
For me? I have always had something pulling at me to go back and live there. I think this will be a good experience for my wife and son and daughter who are very keen to give it a go. We live in Aberdeen - NE Scotland - Weather is a bit more grim up here than Sussex and an expensive place to live due to the oil industry. As I have got older the weather here gets me down more and more - very depressing from end Sept. through to June. even in our so called summer time, when they are getting mid 20's c in south of England we are lucky to get 20 c and then the constant cold wind blows in off the north sea. We did think about moving to Cornwall, ( I have a brother and sister-inlaw) down there. But we are going to rent out our house here and give NZ a go. As for Europe being not too far away. You never know what will happen these days if you travel to Europe - Lost its appeal to me - Fanatics everywhere.
thanks again for the info and wish you all the best for the future.

JaneRiley Sep 10th 2018 9:24 pm

Good grief, you think the weather/climate is better in NZ than N.E Scotland? From personal experience I can tell you it is not. The winters are long, cold and damp in Palmerston North and most houses are single glazed, poorly insulated and poorly maintained. I am back in N. E Scotland and as the temperatures drop I can warm myself indoors with the flick of a switch. In NZ I could turn on a heat pump or plug in an oil filled radiator but they only heated one room and most of the warmth flew out of the windows and walls. I hope you find a cosy home but...please don't go to N.Z for the weather!

sr71 Sep 10th 2018 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by JaneRiley (Post 12561468)
Good grief, you think the weather/climate is better in NZ than N.E Scotland? From personal experience I can tell you it is not.

Well it depends where you live but that is plainly not true for Auckland, probably 3 months max where it’s cold, cold being 11-13 degree days. I wear shorts year round.

Agree on the house quality but i live in a modern house that is too hot in winter

BEVS Sep 10th 2018 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 12561486)

Well it depends where you live but that is plainly not true for Auckland, probably 3 months max where it’s cold, cold being 11-13 degree days. I wear shorts year round.

Where's Bearskin. :p
He's lived in Auckland for maybe 14/15 yrs and he is pig sick of the weather up there. Wonder if he is wearing waterproof shorts. :eek:

You don't come to NZ for the weather. It is not the Med. It is a series of micro climate many of which are not that temperate really. You don't come for the sun either. That's foolish given burn times and incidents of skin cancers from this.

We've had the log burner going since May/June and we are still lighting the thing - along with most all of our neighbours.

Much depends where you have come from outside of NZ as to what suits or does not suit once arrived.

Chipster Sep 11th 2018 7:54 am

I'm sure if people live in a poorly insulated house winter can feel an awful lot worse.
we have a log burner and gas central heating in our house in the UK and a conservatory which makes the summer seem a little longer as it gets very warm on sunny days from March/April to October in there, but we don't get many sunny days.
Doesn't take away the fact that when you're outside it's usually miserably cold and grey a lot of the year.
Much of NZ seems similar to the British climate but the north does seem to have far milder winters than the UK and sunnier too.
The other thing is that people acclimatise so when someone arrives in a warmer place they feel the difference. After a few years it might feel more like the UK.
I've read about people who have moved to NZ, even Auckland and struggled with the winter because they've lived in a poorly insulated property.

Kiwijock65 Sep 16th 2018 8:26 am

Originally Posted by JaneRiley (Post 12561468)
Good grief, you think the weather/climate is better in NZ than N.E Scotland? From personal experience I can tell you it is not. The winters are long, cold and damp in Palmerston North and most houses are single glazed, poorly insulated and poorly maintained. I am back in N. E Scotland and as the temperatures drop I can warm myself indoors with the flick of a switch. In NZ I could turn on a heat pump or plug in an oil filled radiator but they only heated one room and most of the warmth flew out of the windows and walls. I hope you find a cosy home but...please don't go to N.Z for the weather!

Good grief!! No, I am not that naive to move to NZ just because of the weather. But if you are trying to tell me the weather in NE Scotland is as good as anywhere in NZ then you really must be blinkered.
I am presuming you are originally fro NE Scotland so your opinion will be biased anyway. You sound like you are happy to be home so maybe you can understand how I feel about wanting to move back to my original home. It's where I was born and have happy memories. I have family there etc. So what is the harm in giving it a go and giving my son and daughter a chance to sample life in a different beautiful country? Don't worry, I am not just going for the weather - I could list a number of reasons here but I am going and yes I am aware of the negatives too. We will be renting our house out in Scotland just in case my family want to come back to the lovely central heating and be couch potatoes coz the weather outside is shitty as usual. But as far as I am concerned, I used to be quite happy in Scotland but now I am going HOME and have no intentions of returning to live in Scotland. Uk and Europe are going downhill rapidly. Only time will tell though.

Chipster Sep 16th 2018 12:00 pm

A quick Google of average temperatures:

N Palmertson: Hottest month average high 23.5C
NE Scotland (Aberdeen): Hottest month average high 17C
London: Hottest month average high 23.6C

N Palmertson: Coldest month average high 12.7C
NE Scotland (Aberdeen): Coldest month average high 5C
London: Coldest month average high 8.5C

N Palmertson: Annual rainfall 918mm (36 inches)
NE Scotland (Aberdeen): Annual rainfall 753mm (29.7 inches)
London (Kew): Annual rainfall 622mm (24.5 inches)

N Palmertson: Annual sunshine 1743 hours
NE Scotland (Aberdeen): Annual sunshine 1372 hours
London (Kew): Annual sunshine 1653 hours

Kiwijock65 Sep 16th 2018 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Chipster (Post 12563714)
A quick Google of average temperatures:

N Palmertson: Hottest month average high 23.5C
NE Scotland (Aberdeen): Hottest month average high 17C
London: Hottest month average high 23.6C

N Palmertson: Coldest month average high 12.7C
NE Scotland (Aberdeen): Coldest month average high 5C
London: Coldest month average high 8.5C

N Palmertson: Annual rainfall 918mm (36 inches)
NE Scotland (Aberdeen): Annual rainfall 753mm (29.7 inches)
London (Kew): Annual rainfall 622mm (24.5 inches)

N Palmertson: Annual sunshine 1743 hours
NE Scotland (Aberdeen): Annual sunshine 1372 hours
London (Kew): Annual sunshine 1653 hours

Thanks chipster - I am moving to Tauranga area so the weather comparison should be even better. But that is only one small factor of the reasons why we are making the move. NZ has always been in my heart and as I have got older and certain things happen you start too think - life is too short - let's go for it. I know it will be tough and probably won't be all I hope it to be. But after all is said and done if my family decide after a year or two they want to move back to Scotland? Well at least I can say we gave it a go.