Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

7 years gone and into our 8th

7 years gone and into our 8th

Old May 25th 2012, 9:47 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default 7 years gone and into our 8th

Where the hell did that time go ?? anf did we realy live in UK ? As of a few days ago we completed our 7 years in NZ , OMG TBH its been awesome, made some mistakes along the way, and made some awesome achievements to .

Both of us work for Corrections and realy enjoy our jobs, and the best thing is being able to come home to a house in the WOP WOPs countryside and to peace and quiet , no neighbours, no street lights , just fields and hills, totaly awesome , and one of our best moves ever .

Way back in May 05 we landed in Dunedin and lived for 6 weeks 45 mins outside the city in a seaside vilage of Karitane , spent some years living in and near Dunners ,and what a great small city and area to live in , Dunners is a great all round city , got the lot and plenty more . We came here to try different things and expereince a new lifestyle , have we done this " bllody oath we have and plenty more "

We have met some long lasting friends both Brits and Kiwis , have met ex pats with the same desires to change the way they live and work and play by being here in NZ

Even to this day , the scenery still amazes us to this day , and the people of this land are awesome, i have never met a more friendly bunch of people in my life and so helpful and talkative .

We have travelled most of the South Island and will hope to do the NI in greater detail one day .

To sum it all up we have realy enjoyed this change in lifestyle and country's , we have stepped up to the challenge and have so far achieved some of those goals we set ourselves .

My sincere thanks to a chap called Andy Mott , who got me a job offer in NZ and used to frequent an old web site that most of us on here started on , also another chap called GRAY on the old website, who gave me sooo much help and advice when all seemd doomed , one day i will catch up with these people and thank them personely .

Well for those of you who want this change of life and new beginnings we would say " what have you got to loose ? , so you want to be one of those people who say , " we were going to do that ? , or " we did that " life is not a rehearsal , non of us know how long we have on this planet, we are just visitors and for a short time, so make the most of your lives and enjoy it .

Nige, Karla and Martha Dunedin since May 05
Old May 26th 2012, 12:12 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 years gone and into our 8th

I have to agree with the help issue, the more contacts you make before you come the easier things can be.
Old May 26th 2012, 4:42 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
life is not a rehearsal , non of us know how long we have on this planet, we are just visitors and for a short time, so make the most of your lives and enjoy it .
I totally agree with that sentiment, but right now, having spent the entire day fencing, my back aches, my arms ache, my feet are wet through, my thumb throbs from the numerous miss strikes - so what I'm saying is "beam me up scotty"!

But thanks foolerfish for sharing.

I must do mine some day
Old May 26th 2012, 7:21 pm
Banned

lfcfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Having arrived 3 months ago and my husband having had a heart attack OCR a year ago, we had the same motto what have we got to loose, nothing, better to have tried than wish and regret we had not done it... My husband could have died and in his words he never says no to anything
Old May 27th 2012, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Where the hell did that time go ?? anf did we realy live in UK ? As of a few days ago we completed our 7 years in NZ , OMG TBH its been awesome, made some mistakes along the way, and made some awesome achievements to .

Both of us work for Corrections and realy enjoy our jobs, and the best thing is being able to come home to a house in the WOP WOPs countryside and to peace and quiet , no neighbours, no street lights , just fields and hills, totaly awesome , and one of our best moves ever .

Way back in May 05 we landed in Dunedin and lived for 6 weeks 45 mins outside the city in a seaside vilage of Karitane , spent some years living in and near Dunners ,and what a great small city and area to live in , Dunners is a great all round city , got the lot and plenty more . We came here to try different things and expereince a new lifestyle , have we done this " bllody oath we have and plenty more "

We have met some long lasting friends both Brits and Kiwis , have met ex pats with the same desires to change the way they live and work and play by being here in NZ

Even to this day , the scenery still amazes us to this day , and the people of this land are awesome, i have never met a more friendly bunch of people in my life and so helpful and talkative .

We have travelled most of the South Island and will hope to do the NI in greater detail one day .

To sum it all up we have realy enjoyed this change in lifestyle and country's , we have stepped up to the challenge and have so far achieved some of those goals we set ourselves .

My sincere thanks to a chap called Andy Mott , who got me a job offer in NZ and used to frequent an old web site that most of us on here started on , also another chap called GRAY on the old website, who gave me sooo much help and advice when all seemd doomed , one day i will catch up with these people and thank them personely .

Well for those of you who want this change of life and new beginnings we would say " what have you got to loose ? , so you want to be one of those people who say , " we were going to do that ? , or " we did that " life is not a rehearsal , non of us know how long we have on this planet, we are just visitors and for a short time, so make the most of your lives and enjoy it .

Nige, Karla and Martha Dunedin since May 05

Nice update Nige. So nice to read a positive post and pleased everything is working out for you and the family.
Old May 28th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Fooferfish! I remember you had a bit of a wobble/homesickness?? when you went back to the UK...did you settle back into things okay?
Old May 30th 2012, 4:41 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

I think going back to UK can do 2 things for you , 1 it will make you want to go back and 2 it will reinforce why you left For me it was a mix of the 2 lol I think because it was such a short visit , only 9 days , and seeing my family again, plus friends and places , it was such a emotional roller coaster of a ride , my head was all over the place , the main reason for going back was to see my dad , he is not to well in health and had been in hospital soooo many times over the past few years, it suddenly hit home, that i would love to see him again before he meets his maker !! So me mum paid for me to go back for a visit, and TBH i would never have had the $$$ to spend on a quick trip like that . When i was back there i had so much fun, and happy times, also some sadness visiting an old work mates grave and catching up with his wife , tears and more tears , and that leaving family again was damn right shocking I thought it might get easier , but believe me it does not !!

So once back in NZ i was angry , sad , unhappy and depressed , my head did not know where it was, and back at work i had to be on the ball as my collegues needed for me to be, as a Prison Officer !!! But i could not get back into the flow for over a month, felt like buggering off back to UK But TBH after we had gone out onto the empty raods, spoken to Kiwi friends , had a few beers and enjoyed the atmosphere of Kiwi life, it soon came back to me why we left the UK

But now, i am back on full noise , completed some exams at work for more $$$ Joined the riot squad and moving to a new unit and more challenges .

So this 8th year is looking good so far .
Old May 30th 2012, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you worked it out! I really enjoy reading your updates
Old May 30th 2012, 9:31 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

The funny thing is about having moved 12k miles and started a new life , is that i believe that once you have done that, you can just about do anything else !

I started my own small business up from nothing and if it wasnt for the reccession creeping up on it, i would have probably been still running it . At that time of looking for something more professional and maybe longer term i saw an ad for the Department of Corrections hmmmm , now years back in the UK i had seen an ad in the National newspapers for Prison officers , i applied back then and 45k people applied lol Over here in NZ i thought the same may apply ?

So i filled in the application and did not send it off for a few weeks , but as work was dropping off , i decided to send it in , and back came a letter asking for me to go for a test at the Prison , oh god do i hate tests !!!

Well the HR lady was awesome, she sent me a small test example , so i just did some revision before i went, at the test time there were about 15 of us , we did a Hogans personality test online, lots of silly questions with yes or no answers , all designed to see what your mental state is lol . The test paper was Maths , english and other technical things , i had missed some answers on one page and thought i had buggered it !!

Only a couple days later i got a letter saying i had passed and would i like to attend a scope day at the prison, this is where you get to spend a day on a unit with officers to see how you interact with staff and crims

That day was awesome, i spent a day on ahigh security wing and loved it , got told off a few times for being away from staff and talking to prisoners , the staff thought this was great ,as thats what your bread and butter is, sorting prisoners out !! . Staff send off a report to HR and another letter arrived for me to attend a 3 person interview What a bloody long process lol Again the lady from HR told me what to expect and how the interview would go, it was all based on your life expereinces and how you handled them , not based on what if ? In the interview a Moari lady asked me the first question and TBH my reply just dribbled out with a BLur blur blur blah blah lol because i was nervous lol She asked me to slow down and take your time lol , so off i went again and got through it all , was a grilling interview thats for sure ! At the end of the interview they looked at each other and did a slight nod , i thought WTF they must be Masons lol But they were just conferming that i was IN , great , so i left with a big grin on my face

ONe more thing to do was a fitness test and a medical , these i did with flying colours .

Well it was a wee while before i got a call to say i was on a plane to go to college at Wellington prison for 6 weeks course , they called me on a Wednesday eve and i was boooked on a flight that Sunday So i had to let down some of my customers and that was not easy , but i had to do this and get that job i had always wanted , it was a job that was way out of my comfort zone, with shift work which i had never done , but it was a great opportunity to gain a career and better future for us all to stay in NZ.

6 weeks away from my family was hard , although we came back for a long weekend midway through , that 6 weeks were awesome, i had learnt lots of new things and had to do things i didnt think i could do , gained a lot of confidence and felt bullet proof . Things changed once back at work for real , dealing with prisoners and staff . I spent 8 months in a unit which dealt with all the operational side of the jail , and me being me , wanted to work in a unit, so for some time i had made it know i was keen to join a unit, by knocking on Senior officers doors , and as i keep saying " keep knocing on a door , and soon one will open " and true to those words one did , i was working in the control room one afternoon and the phone rang, it was a Principal officer from a High security unit , he said he knew i was hoping to go to another unit, but would i like to join his unit ? now at this time that unit had a reputation for being a tough nut unit ,so i threw caution to the wind and said " why not "

So after over 2 years in that unit i am again about to move to the one i originaly wanted to go to , only thing is, this has become that tough nut unit so off we go again Out of my comfort zone again , did it once before , so i can do it again So as of Monday next week , i will begin a new journey , with new collegues and new challenges , some harder crims to work with , and more dangerous situations to deal with .

Basically what that was all about was , Anybody can to do just about anything they want to in life , sure there are some restrictions that can stop us , but all in all if you dont succeed in one thing , go do something else that makes you happy , life for us in NZ is not about monetary $$$$ values , its all about the ritchness of life here, the friendly locals , the lack of population , hardly any traffic on the roads , peace and quiet , open spaces , fresh air , yes we have the usual bills to pay , but every now and then you need to get out and play in this wonderful place and drink in some of the atmosphere of NZ life , because TBH , non of us know how long we have here on this planet , Mother Nature rules the roost , not us, we are just visitors , get out there , do something that makes you smile once in a while , something you dont have to conform to , take a look at kids playing , they have not a care in the world , nothing to conform to , no bills to pay , do you remember those days , try every now and then to re-live some of those days , doesnt have to cost the earth , just brings back reality .

Well thats me over and out for now , maybe i will write some more after i start my new unit .

Nige and family , who flew South May 05.

PS I still miss Dorset and Kimmeridge bay xxx
Old May 31st 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Such a great insight Fooferfish. I agree if you can move yourself out of your comfort zone and live in another country, then most things are possible.

Okay, NZ is not for some people but for others it does enable them to have a fresh look at life, or to move in a different direction. I think we get bogged down in our own life and we do place restrictions of what we can achieve for fear of failure. Sometimes ignorance is bliss (not implying that you were ignorant), it might just enable you to go for that job even though you might not have the right qualifications or the right experience.

I totally agree with you about the richness of life, as opposed to just being rich in money terms. No-one wants to be poverty stricken but too many people focus on money, money, money.

Good on ya
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

What great updates We are flying over in about 6 weeks and are going to visit Dunedin amongst other places with a view to settling. It has been a long process with selling the house and all. Really pleased you are enjoying life in Dunedin and being happy
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

The funny thing is about having moved 12k miles and started a new life , is that i believe that once you have done that, you can just about do anything else !

I started my own small business up from nothing and if it wasnt for the reccession creeping up on it, i would have probably been still running it . At that time of looking for something more professional and maybe longer term i saw an ad for the Department of Corrections hmmmm , now years back in the UK i had seen an ad in the National newspapers for Prison officers , i applied back then and 45k people applied lol Over here in NZ i thought the same may apply ?

So i filled in the application and did not send it off for a few weeks , but as work was dropping off , i decided to send it in , and back came a letter asking for me to go for a test at the Prison , oh god do i hate tests !!!

Well the HR lady was awesome, she sent me a small test example , so i just did some revision before i went, at the test time there were about 15 of us , we did a Hogans personality test online, lots of silly questions with yes or no answers , all designed to see what your mental state is lol . The test paper was Maths , english and other technical things , i had missed some answers on one page and thought i had buggered it !!

Only a couple days later i got a letter saying i had passed and would i like to attend a scope day at the prison, this is where you get to spend a day on a unit with officers to see how you interact with staff and crims

That day was awesome, i spent a day on ahigh security wing and loved it , got told off a few times for being away from staff and talking to prisoners , the staff thought this was great ,as thats what your bread and butter is, sorting prisoners out !! . Staff send off a report to HR and another letter arrived for me to attend a 3 person interview What a bloody long process lol Again the lady from HR told me what to expect and how the interview would go, it was all based on your life expereinces and how you handled them , not based on what if ? In the interview a Moari lady asked me the first question and TBH my reply just dribbled out with a BLur blur blur blah blah lol because i was nervous lol She asked me to slow down and take your time lol , so off i went again and got through it all , was a grilling interview thats for sure ! At the end of the interview they looked at each other and did a slight nod , i thought WTF they must be Masons lol But they were just conferming that i was IN , great , so i left with a big grin on my face

ONe more thing to do was a fitness test and a medical , these i did with flying colours .

Well it was a wee while before i got a call to say i was on a plane to go to college at Wellington prison for 6 weeks course , they called me on a Wednesday eve and i was boooked on a flight that Sunday So i had to let down some of my customers and that was not easy , but i had to do this and get that job i had always wanted , it was a job that was way out of my comfort zone, with shift work which i had never done , but it was a great opportunity to gain a career and better future for us all to stay in NZ.

6 weeks away from my family was hard , although we came back for a long weekend midway through , that 6 weeks were awesome, i had learnt lots of new things and had to do things i didnt think i could do , gained a lot of confidence and felt bullet proof . Things changed once back at work for real , dealing with prisoners and staff . I spent 8 months in a unit which dealt with all the operational side of the jail , and me being me , wanted to work in a unit, so for some time i had made it know i was keen to join a unit, by knocking on Senior officers doors , and as i keep saying " keep knocing on a door , and soon one will open " and true to those words one did , i was working in the control room one afternoon and the phone rang, it was a Principal officer from a High security unit , he said he knew i was hoping to go to another unit, but would i like to join his unit ? now at this time that unit had a reputation for being a tough nut unit ,so i threw caution to the wind and said " why not "

So after over 2 years in that unit i am again about to move to the one i originaly wanted to go to , only thing is, this has become that tough nut unit so off we go again Out of my comfort zone again , did it once before , so i can do it again So as of Monday next week , i will begin a new journey , with new collegues and new challenges , some harder crims to work with , and more dangerous situations to deal with .

Basically what that was all about was , Anybody can to do just about anything they want to in life , sure there are some restrictions that can stop us , but all in all if you dont succeed in one thing , go do something else that makes you happy , life for us in NZ is not about monetary $$$$ values , its all about the ritchness of life here, the friendly locals , the lack of population , hardly any traffic on the roads , peace and quiet , open spaces , fresh air , yes we have the usual bills to pay , but every now and then you need to get out and play in this wonderful place and drink in some of the atmosphere of NZ life , because TBH , non of us know how long we have here on this planet , Mother Nature rules the roost , not us, we are just visitors , get out there , do something that makes you smile once in a while , something you dont have to conform to , take a look at kids playing , they have not a care in the world , nothing to conform to , no bills to pay , do you remember those days , try every now and then to re-live some of those days , doesnt have to cost the earth , just brings back reality .

Well thats me over and out for now , maybe i will write some more after i start my new unit .

Nige and family , who flew South May 05.

PS I still miss Dorset and Kimmeridge bay xxx
That's the best read I have had in ages good luck to you and yours you deserve it.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Really enjoyed your updates.....thank you...... I agree with a lot of your sentiments. Hope you're rising to all the challenges your new unit is throwing at you, good luck
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:20 am
Dorset to Dunedin

An update because !

A few weeks back myself and collegues from our Prison attended a funeral of one of our family , a collegue , she " Di " had a great presence at work and even in those last days she still had a smile for all she met . A lady who enjoyed life to the full and loved her NZ .

Its at those events that you realise life can be taken away from you at the drop of a hat and its then you think to yourself ? Life isnt that bad after all ? ay ?

It also makes you think of why you came to NZ and why we have done what we have done , leaving family behind , leaving my gorgeous home county of Dorset behind , to come to a place we had never been to and only saw pictures and the odd DVD of !

Yesterday i spoke with an ex Londener on how did his trip go back home ? He said " its great to be back here , the traffic was diabolical and the amount of people was crazy " he has been back many times , but this time he finaly realised where he is better off , not just in terms of $ but with the lack of population, traffic and open space .

I am also in contact with a chap who on this site started talking to me about Dunedin and work at the Prison , this chap has come over here for 8 days recently for an interview and a fitness test where i work , and we are now good friends , he also stayed with us for the time he was here and we didnt even know each other , when i met him at the airport , the only reason he reconised me was because i was wearing my uniform lol TBH i was glad i could help him out, he was very brave to take the time and effort to come to NZ for that short time with the view to moving his family over here one day .

When i think back to the time in 03/04 when we started the ball rolling , any help or advice from people already here in NZ was well recieved , so thats why we helped Dave out , at least he got a wee ticky tour of Dunedin and surrounding areas . We keep in regular contact through FB and phone calls , its just how i remember it , all those calls to immigration, emails to HR people , sorting the house out Been there and done that ,and if i can help another family to move here and start a new life , then i will pull out all the stops to do that .

Its amazing that occassionaly that old sort of homesickness jitter creeps up on ya, especially when your folks are ill back in UK , people think its easy as jumping on a plane , but its not ! $$$ may stop you and even time can stop you , there are many sacrifices you have to make during this process and also living and working here in NZ , but TBH I think its worth it .

Every now and then i like to sit down and have a think about how my/our life is going and what can we/i do to enhance it or learn something new or go see something different ? This year i have passed some more exams at work and earnt us a $4.5k pay rise , i have joined the riot squad , not sure if this is going to be a good idea or not yet ? as the mind is willing but at 45 , not sure the body is lol I will let you know after my initial training at CHCH is over lol

I have also moved units at work and have realy enjoyed the chamge of scenery and new staff to play with .

Also this year my wife and i have been together 30 years , we both met at school in August 20th 82 ish lol so this August my wife has booked a suprise trip away , not sure where but i got a hint of the transport type , plane , hope its warm there, but anywhere away with my darling will be a bonus .

Hard work brings success , the only time success comes before work is in the dictionary !!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:25 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Nige, thanks for the update. Cool to see your positive attitude still reaping it's rewards.

I recently recalled running into you and family at Karitane 6 or so years ago - as last weekend we had a great experience at the same spot.

We were just going to do a walk round the old pa site and lo and behold the call went up - there's a whale off the point. Had a great hour or so with the family viewing 2-3 southern right whales hanging about 150m from us in the bay. Tail flutes in the air and all that. Fabulous experience and totally felt like we had won powerball!

Wonder if Gray is still milking near Oamaru - anyone had any updates?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.