6 month wall

Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 month wall

Hey folks,

So 5 months and 17 days. Boy it feels longer than that! I am finally getting myself reasonably settled here in sunny Timaru. Can't say it's been easy and I am a little stir crazy over Christmas time which I have spent on night shifts. I'm here on my own so I have basically not spoken to anyone but work colleagues since Dec 23rd. Had a nice skype with my family though.

I'm making friends here but it's still all quite shallow and I am kind of gutted that no one thought to invite me to anything since they know I am on my own. I'm really rather beginning to wish I could reply to 'How are ya?' with 'Lonely, thanks.' Nontheless I am sticking with it. Christmas is always gonna be a bad time. Anyone else out there, you aren't on your own.

Good things that have happened:

- Finally out of my house of doom and living with another human who is now away for Christmas but will be back.
- Have my own furniture and Xbox 360 which has made me happy.
- Found a hobby I love and making friends through it.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 month wall

It sounds like you have a good mindset and are slowly settling. I've never emigrated (not yet anyway ) but I have moved 400 miles in the UK to a new area where neither husband nor I knew anyone. I found that saying, "I'm at a loose end" or, "I'm a bit lonely, can you suggest anything to do?" can be a good response to the, "how are you doing?" question.

New hobby sounds good.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 6:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Hey folks,

So 5 months and 17 days. Boy it feels longer than that! I am finally getting myself reasonably settled here in sunny Timaru. Can't say it's been easy and I am a little stir crazy over Christmas time which I have spent on night shifts. I'm here on my own so I have basically not spoken to anyone but work colleagues since Dec 23rd. Had a nice skype with my family though.

I'm making friends here but it's still all quite shallow and I am kind of gutted that no one thought to invite me to anything since they know I am on my own. I'm really rather beginning to wish I could reply to 'How are ya?' with 'Lonely, thanks.' Nontheless I am sticking with it. Christmas is always gonna be a bad time. Anyone else out there, you aren't on your own.

Good things that have happened:

- Finally out of my house of doom and living with another human who is now away for Christmas but will be back.
- Have my own furniture and Xbox 360 which has made me happy.
- Found a hobby I love and making friends through it.
Good to hear from you .

Y'know. Bit late I know but do say "not fine, i need company". Timaru is lovely but a trifle small ...shall we say.

Whats the hobby ?

I will just say that 400 miles of road tar ain't the same as entirely across the world really. I don't know why that is. But it is a very different experience.

You are young. We are very much older You have time off over the next week . PM me and jump a bus.
I mean that.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

The New Hobby is Roller Derby, it's flat awesome.

I really wish I could jump on a bus, Nursing means I've worked Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing day, the following weekend and now will work NYE and NYD as well. I don't moan about the paycheck when it comes though

I'll bear the offer in mind and thank you very much for it.

400 miles is not the same cause you're in the same time zone and affordable travel distance, same culture and seasons I think, but the comment was kindly meant and I appreciate it.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 9:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Actually , working over a holiday season can be good as you get time off in the quieter , less expensive part of the season.

Roller Derby ! You are young , fit, brave and fair play to you.

I used to be able to skate a little bit, a long while ago.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hopefully working all the festive season last year will mean you can have some of it off this year when you will have lots of mates to share it with
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Dave008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gee..Timaru..terrible hick town..little going for it and nearly a ghost town too..poor you..with those Nursing qualifications you can work anywhere in NZ..try Queenstown if single or Auckland or WLG..you will make more friends, have more fun and not feel like the only person in the world when go for a night out!
Old May 26th 2014, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

sazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to behold

Hey Laura

I just wondered how you are getting on? we moved to NZ six months ago and are not far from you infact we are in Timaru quite often.

I too have found it difficult to get settled although try and see the positives.

I hope you are getting on ok down there - if you want someone to yarn to all you have to do is shout ! i'd happily meet you for a coffee on the bay

Best

Sazzle1979
Old May 26th 2014, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sazzle,

I'm actually doing pretty well right now. I have decamped up to Christchurch for a new job about 2.5 months ago and found that the big city (and being closer to a good friend) has really helped me. It is difficult outside the big main centres, particularly if you're like me and had lived your entire life in a city. Thanks so much for the coffee offer, it's really nice of you. If you're ever up Chch way say hi