Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

My 2 years in Christchurch

My 2 years in Christchurch

Old Oct 6th 2015, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default My 2 years in Christchurch

Im 26 and i moved from the North of Ireland to Christchurch on the 7th August 2013 seeking a better lifestyle. I wasn't happy at home with a low paying job due to the economy, a dull gloomy climate and generally was just pretty bored. Most young people just live for the weekend to party which was starting to get repetitive so i was in conflict whether to go to Australia or New Zealand, the big draw to New Zealand was my best mate in Christchurch and was saying how easy it is to get work and how better the lifestyle was.

For me i wanted to go somewhere with a good climate as i wanted an outdoor lifestyle so needed the weather to match, generally anywhere in New Zealand or Australia is good for this. I applied for jobs in the months leading up to my move and had about half a dozen companies tell me to visit them when i land in Christchurch, on my leaving party however i got an email from one company telling me that they would be willing to employ me, give me a 3 month trial and pick me up from the airport so i felt relieved and excited
My employer did indeed pick me up from the airport and so i began my trial with a roofing company.

Over two years later and i'm still here and i'm very happy. I'm on twice the amount of money i was earning back home (after currency conversion) and have a more diverse and fulfilled lifestyle. The day after i arrived i had so much to sort out, i needed a car and a room to rent, i got up early in the morning and remember the temperature was near freezing, was in town in the afternoon walking towards a house that i would later rent a room from and i was sweating with a jumper on, i was now down to a tshirt for the first time during a winter and whats crazy is that morning was freezing, it then hit me how strong and intense the sun was here, i felt nothing like it. In the company i work for i met most of my mates, mostly Irish, English and Kiwis. Most of our company or overseas workers. We regularly see each other and do things together from snowboarding, partying, travel, head to the beach, out on the jet boat etc so i've settled nicely. Also i've been seeing my Kiwi girlfriend for over a year now

Cost of living here is very expensive however over time if you buy smart you can save yourself a good amount of money so try and buy items only when they are on sale or stick exclusively to cheaper supermarkets. Rent has gone down here a small bit recently due to housing market now meeting demand, houses have dropped in price and are continuing to equalize as they were far too expensive. I might buy a house here which was never possible back home due to such a lower wage so that thought is exciting. Christchurch is one of the very few places in the world where you can ski/snowboard, mountain bike, kayak and head to the beach on the same day.

As for Weather here, it's perfect. All of New Zealand will have better weather than home due to it having more sunshine hours and being much closer to the equator. June and July are really the winter months with the average temperature being 8-10 degrees, in the morning and nights it can be cold with frosts however frosty mornings mean clear days so by late morning to afternoon you'll easily be down to a t-shirt. Most days are mild however so you will just a jumper to feel nice and comfortable, youll never see the dull gloomy days on end you see back home where the temperature might not rise above 2 degrees days on end. Overall winter here is quite mild apart from the odd day you get a cold southerly wind which can happen anytime of year. It may feel colder for some due to poorly insulated homes and this is a big problem so getting this sorted helps massively. August and may are milder months again with plenty of tshirt type days but still some cold nights. By September it warms up with temps being around mid to late teens and October in the late teens up to 20 degrees so now you can start going back to the beach and this lasts right through till may. As i said before though a clear 15 degree day in Christchurch will feel like a 20 degree day on average back home due to the intensity of sun here, this means it's nearly always warmer outside than inside. The weather here is quite dry and Christchurch is the driest city in New Zealand and has about 2200 hours of sunshine annually meaning little rain with plenty of sunshine throughout the year and MOST of the year being warm to hot

There is plenty of beaches and with New Brighton being the largest it is extremely spacious, plenty of beautiful bays to relax or swim in, two ski fields both an hour to drive to. Hills to bike or tramp in. I feel really lucky being here and now when i think of going to Australia i can't see what it can offer me more than New Zealand apart from a better nightlife, in fact i can do more here in most cases. Wages are a bit higher but then so is the cost of living. I came here on a working holiday visa, applied for a work visa a year later to which i was granted 3 years and then applied for expression of interest to which i was invited for residency, i sent all my documents about a month ago and immigration says it should be finalized within three months, i feel very content and settled here . Anyway this post was long overdue as some posters were asking how i was getting on not long after i arrived and i'm sorry for not getting back to you

Last edited by paddy234; Oct 6th 2015 at 9:59 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:05 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 2 years in Christchurch

Glad that it has all worked out for you - carry on enjoying yourselves.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Thank you . Also i forgot to add commute time to and from work is a HUGE bonus. I finish on average about 5 o'clock everyday. At the very latest i'll be home at half 5 and that's with traffic
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I just love it when an emigration story turns out so well.

Congrats and well done you.

Thank you so much for sharing. It will be inspiring and uplifting to those coming behind you.

May you have a very happy NZ life.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you
Old Oct 7th 2015, 3:43 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya Paddy. I'm a fellow Cantabrian too! Been here 2.5 years with the OH and we both love it
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting such a positive experience
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

karen87 is an unknown quantity at this point

So nice to hear a positive story Glad it's all worked out for you!
Old Oct 9th 2015, 8:01 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely read, thanks
Old Oct 15th 2015, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Iggydoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the uplifting read. This is only my 2nd week but what you said feels true to me.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 8:20 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant and informative post; thanks very much. I love a successful migration story.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you very much for your replies. I got my residency approved today so very happy ☺
Old Oct 20th 2015, 7:23 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
Thank you very much for your replies. I got my residency approved today so very happy ☺
Awesome, great feeling ay!
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234

Yay welcome to the land of real people the day I got mine approved was the day the Blackcaps hammered England into the ground at the CWC. So I consider it a good omen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.