5 years today

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 years today

It's 5 years today since we arrived in New Zealand to start our new life. It's not been all plain sailing but this is home now. I will get a blog put together & post it on the update link. I'm sure there were quite a few of us Brits from the forum who emmigrated to NZ in 2006!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 years today

Congratulations

Are you going to apply for citizenship now?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
It's 5 years today since we arrived in New Zealand to start our new life. It's not been all plain sailing but this is home now. I will get a blog put together & post it on the update link. I'm sure there were quite a few of us Brits from the forum who emmigrated to NZ in 2006!
Happy anniversary. It's our 4th anniversary on the 25th
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Congratulations

Are you going to apply for citizenship now?

I do want citizenship, but we're not in any hurry for it. It's an expense we can do without for now. We go back to UK in August for our daughters wedding I just hope they save some sunshine for us!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Happy anniversary. It's our 4th anniversary on the 25th
Time really flys by Michelle. Are you happy in Auckland?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Here goes with my little story:

We arrived in New Zealand for our new life on 23rd June 2006, we are myself, hubby & son, who was 19yrs old at the time. I'm a nurse so that was my entry into the country. We had decided that Wellington was the place for us & we are very pleased with that decision. We knew no one when we arrived & had never been here at all. We knew that we wanted to live north of the city, so started house hunting, with no idea of house prices / costs / ect.... We had planned to rent, but couldn't find anything anywhere near to suitable for us, so had to buy in a hurry. We looked at 5 houses on day 5 of our arrival to Wellington, on day 6 we put in an offer, day 7 it was accepted, day 8 we got mortgage approval..... scarey eh! The down side is that we bought in a high market, & I do think we paid more than we should have, so with the current market, the house is valued too low for us to sell.
Over the last 5 years I have found myself on to job number 8! Workplace attitudes are quite different here, with health & safety only just making an appearance.
The cost of living has crept up quickly, with groceries & bills becoming more costly, but I dare say it is probably the same the world over.
Hubby has been in the same job for 5 years, lucky bugger will now get an extra weeks holiday each year. Life was slow for our son at first, he had decided not to go back to studies & worked in coffee shops. Eventually he made a good circle of friends & is now at Uni. We had all settled in very quickly & NZ is home.
People are lovely here, once you get to know them. We have a wide circle of friends from many cultures, they are no different to us. They like to have a few drinks & as many laughs.
When we arrived, we didn't have a fortune from our house sale in UK, so we have a bigger mortgage here than we did in UK, due to the high interest rates. We shipped everything here, which I am pleased with.
My advice to anyone emmigrating to NZ, is to save up as much cash as possible, you really need to put down a big deposit when you buy property here or rent first.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Time really flys by Michelle. Are you happy in Auckland?
It certainly does fly by! I've had a niece and nephew born since we've been here, and my best friend got married and had 2 little ones

We settled enough to stay here for now and have loads of friends, but we're leaving NZ in 2-3 years once our commitments with Uni and stuff are done.

How about you? It seems like a lifetime ago now when the 'old crew' were sipping whatever we could find in the bar
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there were quite a few of us Brits from the forum who emmigrated to NZ in 2006!
Yes there are - I'm a Sixer, Sept 29th 2006 to be precise - I'll have to start preparing my 5 year update - should be fun!

Congratulations on your anniversary!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats, We have been here nearly 2.1/2 years, cant believe how quick time goes. We are going back the UK next month for a holiday, I am looking forward to it, but not looking forward to saying good bye to our family and friends again.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
It seems like a lifetime ago now when the 'old crew' were sipping whatever we could find in the bar

It does indeed I wonder if there are many of us that still pop on the site. It would be nice to have a chat in the bar again
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Yes there are - I'm a Sixer, Sept 29th 2006 to be precise - I'll have to start preparing my 5 year update - should be fun!

Congratulations on your anniversary!
Thank you, I'll look forward to your update