5 years

Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:07 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 years

5 year update
it's been 5 years since we activated our residency. In that time we've had a few milestones. Starting at the beginning~
Bought a tiny house and a small farm, did loads of renovations to house without falling out with the builder, learned how to garden and grow veggies. I'd never had a garden in my life before. Learned ( still learning) how to run a little farm with cows! Being able to indulge our love of animals by having the room to keep donkeys, highland cows, chickens and ducks. Made new friends. Got a house off the back of a lorry and bunged it in a field, been treated badly by 2 lots of employees (neither of who were kiwis, expats anyone?) had a very difficult year financially, gone into partnership and started our own business, became citizens, got kiwi passports.

I find it hard to believe we've been here for 5 years as the time has passed so quickly. I came to NZ pretty blind. I had never been here before and really just knew it was on the other side of the world from where I lived and that it was very Green ( trees and grass)
Our decision on where to live was via a photograph in an NZ picture book that my DH thought was nice. He came home from work one day and said shall we live there? I said Ok. We decided that if we were going to be brave enough to move to the other side of the world ~ the furthest I'd moved was 3 hours down the road from Aberdeen to Glasgow ~ and leave all our friends and families behind then we were going to change our lives and try not to swap one for the other. To do this we decided not to live in a city but to move to a rural area. My dad tells me the only reason I've managed to do this is because I come from farming stock way back!

We were a little different from some people in that we felt at home the second we stepped off the plane. This was inspite of the fact we had left our house unsold and were fighting a legal battle with the buyer of my DH's business who had omitted to pay us. We arrived in NZ beyond skint ~ with minus money actually, 2 large bags and nerves of steel - yeh right - we were actually cacking our pants.
It all worked out though. We also didn't leave Scotland because of not liking it - we loved it and were happy there - but were just ready for a change.

Nz works for us. We love where we live, I've got used to the heat in the summer - which was a worry for me as I used to hate the heat. The bad stuff you hear about NZ doesn't seem to affect us at all. We have no boy racers that I ever see, no gangs on our doorstep etc what we do have are lovely neighbours who are far enough away that we're not in eachothers pockets. We have made the best friends who I feel like I've known all my life. We love our home.
I was never a lover of shopping so I don't miss that one bit. I clubbed myself out when I was younger so am over that too. I do like trips down to Auckland though and our friends have kids and teenagers so that keeps us going!
I thank whoever invented web cams! Since moving here my brother has got married then they had a baby - when my nephew was born is the only time I have felt truly homesick and cried a lot. It worries me that my dad is getting older and doesn't do the journey anymore - but I am glad that he came out a few times and has seen where we live and how happy we are here.

I can't see us moving away from NZ but I suppose you can never say never - 6 years ago if someone had told me I would be living in a farm in the middle of nowhere in New Zealand I would have laughed - so you never know where life will take you, I suppose.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:13 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 years

Fantastic update Goodness you have certainly got courage by the bucket load

Its such a testament to your strength of character and willingness to embrace the unknown that it has worked out so well for you.

Good on you and hope it continues to be the success it has been so far

Dewb
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:40 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09

Its such a testament to your strength of character and willingness to embrace the unknown that it has worked out so well for you.

Dewb
Ditto what Dewb has said
Plus all best wishes for your future lol.
B x
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
5 year update
it's been 5 years since we activated our residency. In that time we've had a few milestones. Starting at the beginning~
Bought a tiny house and a small farm, did loads of renovations to house without falling out with the builder, learned how to garden and grow veggies. I'd never had a garden in my life before. Learned ( still learning) how to run a little farm with cows! Being able to indulge our love of animals by having the room to keep donkeys, highland cows, chickens and ducks. Made new friends. Got a house off the back of a lorry and bunged it in a field, been treated badly by 2 lots of employees (neither of who were kiwis, expats anyone?) had a very difficult year financially, gone into partnership and started our own business, became citizens, got kiwi passports.

I find it hard to believe we've been here for 5 years as the time has passed so quickly. I came to NZ pretty blind. I had never been here before and really just knew it was on the other side of the world from where I lived and that it was very Green ( trees and grass)
Our decision on where to live was via a photograph in an NZ picture book that my DH thought was nice. He came home from work one day and said shall we live there? I said Ok. We decided that if we were going to be brave enough to move to the other side of the world ~ the furthest I'd moved was 3 hours down the road from Aberdeen to Glasgow ~ and leave all our friends and families behind then we were going to change our lives and try not to swap one for the other. To do this we decided not to live in a city but to move to a rural area. My dad tells me the only reason I've managed to do this is because I come from farming stock way back!

We were a little different from some people in that we felt at home the second we stepped off the plane. This was inspite of the fact we had left our house unsold and were fighting a legal battle with the buyer of my DH's business who had omitted to pay us. We arrived in NZ beyond skint ~ with minus money actually, 2 large bags and nerves of steel - yeh right - we were actually cacking our pants.
It all worked out though. We also didn't leave Scotland because of not liking it - we loved it and were happy there - but were just ready for a change.

Nz works for us. We love where we live, I've got used to the heat in the summer - which was a worry for me as I used to hate the heat. The bad stuff you hear about NZ doesn't seem to affect us at all. We have no boy racers that I ever see, no gangs on our doorstep etc what we do have are lovely neighbours who are far enough away that we're not in eachothers pockets. We have made the best friends who I feel like I've known all my life.
x
I was never a lover of shopping so I don't miss that one bit. I clubbed myself out when I was younger so am over that too. I do like trips down to Auckland though and our friends have kids and teenagers so that keeps us going!
I thank whoever invented web cams! Since moving here my brother has got married then they had a baby - when my nephew was born is the only time I have felt truly homesick and cried a lot. It worries me that my dad is getting older and doesn't do the journey anymore - but I am glad that he came out a few times and has seen where we live and how happy we are here.

I can't see us moving away from NZ but I suppose you can never say never - 6 years ago if someone had told me I would be living in a farm in the middle of nowhere in New Zealand I would have laughed - so you never know where life will take you, I suppose.
Just great - a lovely update... how wonderful that things have worked out for you both!
Bernixx
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi what an amazing thread and thanks so much for sharing - your bit about the finances when you first arrived really resonates as we are just gonna go over and sell our flat in London as and when we can so it's good to know we aren't the only ones! Life is too short and your post really shows that it can be done! Has made my day yay
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:59 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

thank you it's funny really cos Im not sure if anyone sees themselves as brave - we just got on with stuff. It didn't feel brave when I was curled up on the sofa in glasgow sick with nerves before we left because everything was going so wrong!
We got our residency with no problems it was all the other stuff that was making leaving so difficult. Still, if it had all been easy perhaps it wouldn't have meant so much~ who knows!

We simply just couldn't lead this life in the UK. We would never have been able to afford the land. We did spend a few months looking at small rural properties in Scotland before we left but came up with nothing. Much to my mum's horror.

I've found that since living here we're much more likely to try new things or do things for ourselves that we would have got someone in to do before. Our friends are all pretty handy folk so maybe some of it has rubbed off! Country living is certainly more laid back.

What else.. oh we do a lot more driving here as we're quite far away from things - like our nearest friends are 40 minutes away. We chose to open our business up in Kaitaia which is over an hour away because they really needed a dentist there. Some of the driving is so totally the most dangerous I have ever seen. Pulling out on blind corners and tailgating (sp?) If you drive like everyone else it terrible and expect them to to stupid things then you're a wee bit more prepared!

Living in a small place has it's advantages - some would see them as disadvantages. Especially in the type of job my DH has - people know you, in fact pretty much everyone knows you! It is impossible to have any secrets - and if you are bad, or have done something nasty word will get round, equally if you do your best people know that too - word of mouth has been a tremendous thing for us with a new business.

I just like it here. We live in the Bay of Island for goodness sake, one of the most beautiful places in the world - world's second bluest sky or something! We have a boat - a crappy 20 year old tub, but it''s ours and we go fishing - hardy ever catch anything at all though. Summers are pretty spectacular. Winters are sometimes rather wet which can get a bit depressing if it rains for a few days in a row, but it's never really cold.

londonescape - is there any way you can get a mortgage holiday? Before we left we got 6 months off paying it - and we just hoped it would sell in that time - I had NO IDEA how we would have paid for it if it hadn't so you take that risk.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Dewb
Ditto and snap 2X!!!!

All I can say is

Very inspiring!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:59 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your 5 years in GODS OWN Yes its amazing where those 5 years go ay ? We are now into our 6th year, strange after this long how it feels like I never lived in UK at all !!

We to moved to the countryside after 4 years in town and TBH you cant beat the peace and quiet, ok we dont have the summer lengths that you do up there, but they are warmer than town out in the Wops, and you dont need double glazing like we are getting next week Good on ya for all that hard yakka you guys have put in, and starting from scratch, i think there should be a timespan club on BE, those that are in certain year bands.

Keep up the wonderful lifestyle.

Nige Otago since May 05
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Dewb
Ditto again!! Lovely update!!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobDon
Ditto again!! Lovely update!!
Yes you are an inspiration as I have mooted afore. I like to think if I did not have 3 young kids in my permanent charge I might have done one tenth of what you have done!!!!!! Well done to you and Mr P.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:11 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely update Pixie-dust, thank you for taking the time to keep us informed and here's to the next 5 years!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:09 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto to the above- an inspiring read indeed and I hope your next five years are wonderful
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:59 am
A land far far away

thanks everyone.
This is the actual day! SUppose we should have fush, chups and champagne to celebrate
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
londonescape - is there any way you can get a mortgage holiday? Before we left we got 6 months off paying it - and we just hoped it would sell in that time - I had NO IDEA how we would have paid for it if it hadn't so you take that risk.
We've got tenants in at the moment but they move out May next year - that's a great idea though will have to look into it! Thanks for the tip.

And congratulations on it being the actual 5 years
Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Goodness. Where has the time gone.

Here is a for the past 5 years and a for the next five years .

i think there should be a timespan club on BE, those that are in certain year bands.
OK. Good idea. Why not. Let's do an open BE Poll so folks can see how long people have been here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.