Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

4 weeks today since we arrived

4 weeks today since we arrived

Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:25 am
Just Joined

britkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up 4 weeks today since we arrived

The past 4 weeks seem to have raced by. Weather has been fantastic apart from a couple of days.

Kids are loving it and seem happy in childcare. Husband about to start Uni and I started work 2 weeks ago.

House is great and we love the space, I swear our wardrobe is larger than our daughter's room in the UK.

Been really impressed at how many young people offer older/elderly people seats on the train - don't recall ever seeing that in the UK.
Happy with our decision to come here so far
Old Feb 18th 2013, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 weeks today since we arrived

Originally Posted by britkiwi
Been really impressed at how many young people offer older/elderly people seats on the train - don't recall ever seeing that in the UK.
Probably because when you do you (mostly) get some form of grunt as a sort of acknowledgement that you've given them your seat.

Thank god for the odd 'thank you' accompanied with a smile. It's those occasions that make you bother in future.

In fact, I mostly don't bother sitting down on buses or trains, unless it's a lengthy journey and/or the carriage/bus is pretty empty.

I suppose double deckers are handy, you can go upstairs. No one expects your give up your seat upstairs - it's a kind of unwritten rule.

I can't stand a lack of manners, in any instance, so I try to avoid having to give my seat up in the first place. Respect works both ways.

I'm ranting. Sorry. Not ranting at you, I just see it too often for it to be classed as being a one off.

That said well done on your move, I look forward to joining you in July

Last edited by TommyLuck; Feb 18th 2013 at 1:10 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:09 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

students/kids have to give up their seats on trains to any adult that is standing I have been told and actually seen adults tell them to move so they can sit.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
students/kids have to give up their seats on trains to any adult that is standing I have been told and actually seen adults tell them to move so they can sit.
Hiya. It's not mandatory that kids give up their seats. But we are raised to offer them to our 'elders, pregnant ladies and people that need them more'

And we do tend to give our kids a kick up the arse for being utter shits.

A few of them need harder ones - utter shits.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Whislt I've seen plenty of shits and utter shits in the UK, I've also seen plenty of kids even the stereotypical ones in hoodies and baseball caps be extremely polite.

It really isn't a question of where you are from, it's a question of the person and how they are bought up.

In fact, sometimes it's the rich kids, the ones who have had smoke blown up their arse all their lives are some of the worst!!!