Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....

4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....

Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:00 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 4 MONTH UPDATE

Originally Posted by HHBoP
Hey well done you. Good luck - when is it? Am sure they will be blown away

I know where I'd be potting the ball mate with comments like that!!!

Asides from which u wouldn't dare, bet ur OH is well wise by by now!

Enjoy

Cheers

HH
i am in Auckland waiting for the plane to Queenstown tomorrow and have some time to spare so i though i would bore you all with another story.
But first if you want cheap transport here in NZ try the Naked Bus Company
I only booked with them because i thought everyone had to travel Naked but its not the case and it was only $21 dollars from Tauranga to Auckland a bargain.
OK BACK TO THE BROKEN LEG IN SWITZERLAND
That was only half the story i also had a badly infected wisdom tooth
that was twice as painful as any broken leg
I was in so much pain i went into shock and the doctors gave me a course of injections that i had to inject myself into my stomach when the pain got to bad
By the way we were camping and have you ever tried to get out of a sleeping bag for a pee in the night with a full cast on your leg ?
ITS NOT EASY.
The doctors also gave me a pain killers that you have to dissolve in water a bit like alka salse you know the size of a horse tablet that you dissolve in water.
well i was in agony and had to take a tablet that you should dissolve in water
without the water
so i swallowed it i was desperate
the tablet got stuck in my wind pipe and i began to choke and couldn't breathe the tablet started to dissolve in my saliva
and i had froth coming out my mouth chocking and begin on crutches is not a good combination
i collapsed on the floor
my wife though i was having a fit
I THOUGHT I WAS DYING
there is a tip here never take tablets that should dissolve in water without water

Last edited by bdclayton; Feb 15th 2010 at 4:05 am.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 MONTH UPDATE

Same thing happened to me with Apro Clear, the effervescent ones.

I was on a train to London from Winchester, no fluids anywhere, had a bit of a headache, took some of those tablets and it exploded in my mouth/oesophagus/bronchus.

What a sight!!

Good luck with your interview.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

Originally Posted by bdclayton
i am in Auckland waiting for the plane to Queenstown tomorrow and have some time to spare so i though i would bore you all with another story.
But first if you want cheap transport here in NZ try the Naked Bus Company
I only booked with them because i thought everyone had to travel Naked but its not the case and it was only $21 dollars from Tauranga to Auckland a bargain.
OK BACK TO THE BROKEN LEG IN SWITZERLAND
That was only half the story i also had a badly infected wisdom tooth
that was twice as painful as any broken leg
I was in so much pain i went into shock and the doctors gave me a course of injections that i had to inject myself into my stomach when the pain got to bad
By the way we were camping and have you ever tried to get out of a sleeping bag for a pee in the night with a full cast on your leg ?
ITS NOT EASY.
The doctors also gave me a pain killers that you have to dissolve in water a bit like alka salse you know the size of a horse tablet that you dissolve in water.
well i was in agony and had to take a tablet that you should dissolve in water
without the water
so i swallowed it i was desperate
the tablet got stuck in my wind pipe and i began to choke and couldn't breathe the tablet started to dissolve in my saliva
and i had froth coming out my mouth chocking and begin on crutches is not a good combination
i collapsed on the floor
my wife though i was having a fit
I THOUGHT I WAS DYING
there is a tip here never take tablets that should dissolve in water without water
No s@@t sherlock!! I can but imagine episode 3!! Best of luck u deserve. Maybe OH could aplly for a doctorship, given ur aptitude for mishaps, she should sail through! Thanks once again for the laughter. Any funny ones about mover/packers, though please bear in mind mine arrive next wed, and I ain't anywhere near ready yet!! Have decided might be a good idea to do it backwards, ie pack my suitcases and then everything else goes!! Has taken me ages and a good dose of sheer desperation and panic to come up with that!!

Hope it all goes/went well.

Cheers

HH

cheers

HH
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:38 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope your interview went well.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:04 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

I have just been to Queenstown for a job interview
My god I forgot how cold it gets there at night and first thing in the morning.
It must be 5- 10 degrees colder than Taranga but its still very beautiful around that area and the flight is fantastic.
My interview was probably the worst one ever.
For a start they were nearly one hour behind schedule.
The manager kept leaving the room to answer his phone he did this four times and when he got back he had forgot where we were,.
The person from HR had her laptop on the table
It made a beep sound every time she received a email and the she would open the email and look at it.
I don’t think there is a hope in hell of me getting that job.
The only good thing to come out of it was catching up with a few friends that I haven’t seen in a long time,
The cost of getting there was almost the same as a trip back to the UK.
i hired a car while i was there its so difficult get one its unreal
i cant belive how much i paid for one days car hire
$147 dollars for 24 hours
Oh well lets see what happens
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

Aw BD

They sound awfully rude and not worth working for!! Who does that at an interview?? if u don't get it sounds to me like it wouldn't have anything to do with you or how u presented. The interviewers sound at fault to me!!:curse:
So chapter 3 is hiring the most expensive car in NZ, least no broken bones or emergency medicals involved in this one, save ur sanity!! u never know maybe they liked u staight off and just didn't see the need to ask all those pesky questions!! Was the car a ferrari??? Wot do I know, if u hadn't said then I wouldn't known that was expensive!! I lead a sheltered life, sigh.

Keep ur chin up chick, it will happen.

Cheers

HH
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:51 pm
Busy Again

Originally Posted by HHBoP
Aw BD

They sound awfully rude and not worth working for!! Who does that at an interview?? if u don't get it sounds to me like it wouldn't have anything to do with you or how u presented. The interviewers sound at fault to me!!:curse:
So chapter 3 is hiring the most expensive car in NZ, least no broken bones or emergency medicals involved in this one, save ur sanity!! u never know maybe they liked u staight off and just didn't see the need to ask all those pesky questions!! Was the car a ferrari??? Wot do I know, if u hadn't said then I wouldn't known that was expensive!! I lead a sheltered life, sigh.

Keep ur chin up chick, it will happen.

Cheers

HH
The rental car was no bigger than a roller skate
you can get one here in Tauranga for about $50 per day
chapter 3 will follow with few more laughs soon
I have attached 3 photos of Qeenstown area
If you look close at the 1st photo you can see how the plane
has to come in between the mountains to land no much room for error there
I hope the photos do the place justice
I have already forgot about the interview
Bring on the next one
Attached Thumbnails 4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....-pict1304.jpg   4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....-pict1286.jpg   4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....-pict1278.jpg  

Last edited by bdclayton; Feb 20th 2010 at 1:09 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:32 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I have tears running down my face having just stumbled across this thread and read it start to finish... I haven't laughed like that for ages, the cats looking at me like I am off my trolley

Your tales of mishaps had me in stitches, I agree with HHBoP that you should write a book... I think it would be a best seller!

You have a great attitude and its always good when you can laugh at yourself and find the positives out of normally negative scenarios!

Seriously though, good luck with the job hunting... not sure if you've considered it or tried before (or if its viable distance wise), but Customs is currently advertising for customs officers for Auckland airport http://www.customs.snaphire.com/

Chez
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:35 pm
Busy Again

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Oh I have tears running down my face having just stumbled across this thread and read it start to finish... I haven't laughed like that for ages, the cats looking at me like I am off my trolley

Your tales of mishaps had me in stitches, I agree with HHBoP that you should write a book... I think it would be a best seller!

You have a great attitude and its always good when you can laugh at yourself and find the positives out of normally negative scenarios!

Seriously though, good luck with the job hunting... not sure if you've considered it or tried before (or if its viable distance wise), but Customs is currently advertising for customs officers for Auckland airport http://www.customs.snaphire.com/

Chez
Thank you for that info I will have a look at the job.

Hey I have got my van back at a cost of $1.400 I have driven it one day and the steering has gone again
And now it won’t start. I must have upset someone in a previous life???

Ok If I am making you smile I will share another bit with you.
and any offers of helping me write a book?
I have lifetime of theses stories to tell
Back to Switzerland.
The Swiss doctors would not set my leg they
Said it was too swelled and the angle was all wrong
We were on a trip around Europe so I didn’t want to wait around
So I booked a flight back to the UK I thought I would have my infected wisdom tooth out at the same time as getting my leg set
I booked a flight with Easy Jet.
When I got to the check in desk they told me I couldn’t fly back to the UK unless I booked two seats??
I had to sit at the back of the plane in case of an emergency so they could get me out??
Anyway I had to pay for an extra seat or not go.
I was well impressed.
I got back OK and was picked up at airport by my daughter who said I looked like death (thank you)
We went to the hospital in Nottingham with my x rays from Switzerland to be told.
“ Oh its Bank Holiday today
We don’t have anyone working to-day in the plaster room can you come back tomorrow”
What so know one breaks any bones on Bank Holiday ?
After a heated discussion they managed to find someone and set my leg.
That done I went to the dentist the next I day I managed to get in with an emergency appointment.
My god it was like something out of a Sid James Carry On film
The dentist a Polish woman, whose previous job must have been working for the Gestapo,
She had an instrument that she had hidden behind her back that looked like something for the 1940s she carried on to rip my tooth out with it
At one point she was actually standing on me
Then said in a polish accent “ you see wisdom teeth don’t have to be difficult”.
I have heard that the dentist has been struck off apparently she wasn’t even a proper dentist??
Ok I have bored you enough
But there is more

Last edited by bdclayton; Feb 20th 2010 at 10:50 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Mornin bd

Once again thanks for the laughter - u run the risk of becoming quite popular!! Save that no-one is likely to want to travel with you!! I would love to help you wwrite ur book - wouldn't have the foggiest how,but hey ho with material like yours it just couldn't go wrong. Sadly have to go now and unlikely to be around for a bit, coz mums here and movers on way and family goodbye this weekend (we are spread about a bit, so doin it early) then back to work mon, so catch u later.

Cheers

HH
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:50 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha!!!

Keep them coming please, cheers me right up!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 5:59 pm
Busy Again

Over a week has gone by since I had a interview with United Water in Queenstown
and not a word from them
a "no thank you " would be OK but nothing ?? how strange.
BUT
I have another interview on Tuesday here in Tauranga
This is my sixth interview since I have been here
I have to ask
what am i doing wrong if i don't get this one.
I have been doing lots of homework and preparation again lets hope it pays off this time
and the interview is at 8am so i don't have all day to sit around and think about it
any tip are welcome
Hey maybe its sixth time lucky
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hiya
Keep going -good luck Tuesday
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:41 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
gative scenarios!

Chez
I've applied for a customs' job every year since 2005 without luck.
No interviews so far. I recently asked the HR people at customs how to strengthen my application, and they gave me some tips on how to write a 'functional CV', which I did. I have just received my latest rejection letter. This was the last time I apply - 5 years and no interview. Farck that for game of soldiers.

It's disheartening to arrive in NZ full of hopes and aspirations and keep getting knocked back - even for jobs like working in the Warehouse. I've been there and done it. I applied for hundreds of jobs, including McDonalds, KFC, etc. It took me appx 8 or 9 months to get my first job doing the kind of work I did in the UK, which at the time was a National Health Service computer programmer.

I wouldn't expect rejection letters, updates, etc. Things are different here in NZ. I was told to call prospective employers and find out from the horse's mouth what the story is, because often they won't keep you in the loop.

I've actually been offered jobs at interviews which have then been reversed! Like I said, things are different here.

I've heard it said that you need to be doing your job search face-to-face, turning up and introducing yourself. I've tried that approach and it didn't work for me. If you're a good salesperson, it might work better. I got a lot of encouragement doing it from employers, "Good on ya!" etc, but none of the prospective leads turned into firm job offers.

I would love somebody to explain to me what the secret is to finding work in NZ. I still can't work it out, and i've been here going on 10years. It seems like a massive lottery (popularity contest) to me, which has almost nothing to do with your skills, background.

Personally, I think the best thing you can do is join the local golf course and network,network, network. NZ is basically one giant men's club and opportunities are handed down based on the golden rule of "Yeah, i've got a mate...."

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by dytopia; Feb 26th 2010 at 10:03 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:39 pm
Busy Again

up early and reviewing my interview notes
I am off to my job interview at 8am
at least its not hot at this time of morning
I just hope my van start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.