Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

4.5 years in NZ and still missing family

4.5 years in NZ and still missing family

Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4.5 years in NZ and still missing family

Hello peeps

Well, what a whirlwind it has been. Arrived in NZ Nov 2009 and literally got off the plane running. I can't believe we achieved what we did and with 2 pugs in tow too, thanks to BEVS x

Three years ago we moved from Whakatane and settled in the Waikato. We wanted to be more central [now only 2 hours to Auckland as opposed to the 4hrs from Whakas] Good move.

Until we moved to the Waikato, OH really struggled to get any type of work and it put such a strain on our relationship. He is now working as a Corrections Officer and great at it

Two years ago we bought our own lifestyle property. A shack of a house on just under 5 acres. We have worked like crazy setting everything up and now have 2 freezers full of our own beef and pork. Such a good feeling.

My mum died suddenly in Feb 2013. I knew when I said goodbye in the UK that I would never see her again and we were not close, but the news devastated me. I did not have the money to go over and would have had to take a loan. I chose not to do so as I also had to send over monies for the funeral. I should have gone, if only for my siblings but nothing I can do about that now. My son who is a Naval officer attended on my behalf and paid our respects in full uniform. He made me so proud. At the hour of her funeral I planted a white rose in her memory...which meant midnight here

My son and his girlfriend came over for 4 weeks over this Xmas and New year. Our first family to visit and it was fantastic. I so wanted him to fall in love with NZ and plan to live here after the Navy. He did love it but he said he could never live here as its just too far away. I was crushed and when they left I sobbed for days. If I'm honest I am still sad. One day I will be a Nonna (nana) and the thought of not being in their lives makes me sad.

I have lots of family in Italy and have missed them too. At one stage we were contemplating going to live there instead but at the time we just didn't have enough money so came to NZ instead. We arrived here with about 8k quid [I don't have a pound sign on my laptop ]. I know we have done so well. We saved hard for a deposit [20%] for the house and because the house was so awful we have renovated it and made a nice bit of equity.

Kiwisaver is a great thing over here. I have been having 4% deducted from my wages and when I checked the other day I have $22k saved. I have just increased it to 8%. OH doing it too but started at the 8% rate from the start.

We don't need to do this but after 3 years (or is it 5 ) you can withdraw the savings to buy a first home.

Anyway, I digress, we are planning on going back to the UK next year with the intention of buying a little place in Italy and live between the UK and Italy. Hopefully more in Italy but unemployment is dire in Southern Italy and bureaucracy dreadful. The vino is good The Italian lot are fairly self sufficient, oil, wine, meat to name but a few.

Anyway, we have loved NZ but miss family too much. I am dreading all that moving again but we are not getting any younger. I think we will plumb for the Somerset/Devon area. We came from Cornwall but it is too far away from airports to return to live there

I haven't missed much from the UK itself...maybe cod and chips and smoked haddock. We could get great fish and chips in Whakatane but not in the Waikato. Bisto original powder. The Bisto here is not the same. Its made in Oz and rubbish. There is a British shop in Onehunga, Auckland and once in a while I go up and have a wander around the store...and buy too much stuff. I can get frozen battered cod from there...oh and frozen mushy peas. The majority of supermarkets here do have a small section of UK food stuffs. very expensive but ok for the occasional treat

Anyway I will stop rambling. I am sorry that I did not keep in touch with you all
Maria

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 28th 2014 at 1:25 am. Reason: Replacing personal details with username
Old Mar 26th 2014, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4.5 years in NZ and still missing family

I can so relate to what you say about missing family!! I am happily reunited with my family in Europe. For me family is definitely more important than the place. That said Europe has so much too offer. It is fantastic to rediscover Europe.
Anyhow, all the best with your move back. It is tough, exhausting, but also exhilarating.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Assanah
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey Numpty.

Long time , no hear so lovely to see you and read your update.

Sounds like you've made a real good go of New Zealand against the odds. ( Your odds were quite tough at times)

Here is to the next chapter in your lives then.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you BEVS. Yep, here's to the next chapter

Re: the pugs. Harry has a mast cell tumour which is inoperable. He will be unfit to fly back to the UK Ninny is well and we now have their daughter Ruby who will be coming back with us

Last edited by Sue; Mar 28th 2014 at 12:51 am. Reason: Please stick to BE usernames. Thanks so much :)
Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:52 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Numptyhead

Anyway I will stop rambling. I am sorry that I did not keep in touch with you all
Maria
It's not rambling at all. It's just how you feel. And I can totally relate.

Sorry to read about your mum.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

A lovely post Maria, best wishes for your future
Old Mar 29th 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Boopy

I am still kind of in shock that we have decided to make the move. OH has gone fishing, oh I hope he brings something nice back
Old Mar 29th 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

oh, the Bisto problem...I can totally relate, there is nothing else I miss so far, and my friends have found it way too expensive to send out :-( Silliness really.
Good luck with your next adventure
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Hun, thank you.
Re: Bisto. In the English shop in Onehunga, Auckland. Now called Lane's Market I think. Anyway, they do a 1.5kg box of Bisto Beef granules. $30. Not as good as the original powder but better than anything else here. In the UK you can but a 3kg tub of Bisto. I am going to get one of these before we move over to Italy
Old Apr 1st 2014, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hun, thank you.
Re: Bisto. In the English shop in Onehunga, Auckland. Now called Lane's Market I think. Anyway, they do a 1.5kg box of Bisto Beef granules. $30. Not as good as the original powder but better than anything else here. In the UK you can but a 3kg tub of Bisto. I am going to get one of these before we move over to Italy
Bleurgh to granules
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hun, thank you.
Hi, off topic but Bisto is available in our local Pakn'save and Countdown.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RobDon
Hi, off topic but Bisto is available in our local Pakn'save and Countdown.
Yes Bisto is available in Countdown and New World up here in t'north...but it's not the same stuff!!! Believe me I tried them all, even the Woolworths homebrand tastes just the same. I promise this is my only vice
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Dave008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad to hear you are leaving..yet understand..you had "guts" hanging out in Waikato..take my hat off to you for the time there! ..not an easy area..Italy would be nicer food, vino yet probably less jobs! As for us..despite being in Auckland..in a nice area..we have suffered a lot on social circle..dearly miss the restaurants, good pubs, plays and dinners out..If not for lifestyle of boating here..think we would leave again in a heartbeat!
Old May 13th 2014, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Our Countdown here in NP has a little end of aisle of British stuff, Bisto powder being one of them, I have used mine up actually, must go buy more.

I hate the granules too, I can never get it smooth LOL.

Sad to see you are leaving but you have to do what is right for you, at least you have done it and now you can move on to the next adventure.