3 Weeks in

Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice
Default 3 Weeks in

We've been in Taranaki for 3 weeks now, finally have the internet connected in our rental so I thought I'd do an update.

We flew with Air NZ which was surprisingly stressless and arrived on NZ soil on the morning of the 6th. I picked the holiday let; it was a bit out of the way (we walked so much in the first 2 weeks) but was such a good choice. The owner has even lent us her lego collection to keep the small one amused until our container arrives (she also moved us to our rental).

We did look at several rentals, all within walking distance to my work; OH fell in love with the first one. Its turned out to be both good and bad - its location is amazing, we're one street from the coastal walkway but it is an old house and unfortunately its smelly (didn't notice it on the 10 min viewing). I'm anxious to be out of it but OH still likes it. We're living with the bare necessities - we have garden chairs to sit on, have bought second hand fridge, tv and washing machine ($400) but have bought new mattresses and duvets. Our travel plug was one of the best things I packed, we even bought another one when here.

The munchkin has been at school for a couple of days now; she's settled in really well and loves going barefoot (no uniforms for primary kids). I've started work (no uniform required for me either but there is one if I want it). I've only done 1 day on the shop floor (had 2 induction days), have loads of homework but am liking what I see - my workmates don't have that manic stressed look in their eyes! It takes me about 25mins to walk to work (up and down hills - New Plymouth is bloody hilly) and I get an amazing view of the mountain on my way.

We've explored a bit - OH has been to the new velodrome, we've been to some of the (many) parks, have walked some of the coastal walkway and have dipped our toes in the Tasman.

We have had a few 'moments' The cost of some things has surprised the OH and he's now really reluctant to buy anything (including car/house). I'd like to get on the property ladder and out of the rental but will just have to wait. Overall I think we've done the right thing - it doesn't feel too much different to me at the moment (besides the fact that I'm no longer my normal pasty white colour - loving the sunshine), OH swings from thinking we've done the right thing to thinking we haven't; we'll just have to wait and see...
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:33 pm
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 3 Weeks in

Hiya and it was lovely to read your update, it will be my turn soon! Lol
You sound like you have done so much in such a little time.
Hang in there and things will surely fall into place.
I gather the weather is good then! Can't wait, cause its blooming freezing here!!
Take care x
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with you on rentals and also couldn't wait to get out of ours, husband, like yours, thought it was alright but wasn't for me, luckily we only got a 6mth contract then 2 week rolling so 6mths and 2 weeks later we moved into our own home.
I hope your husband can settle down and enjoy your the time and not worry about things, its as you say only 3 weeks, so plenty of time to sort out any niggles that need sorting.
Does your husband work or is he looking?

Weather seems to be getting better by the week and sun block on kids before, during and after school is a must. I must say my kids settled in really quickly as well, think we don't give them enough credit at times to handle things like this, and they amaze me just taking it all in their stride.

still early days for us as well but apart from the wind it's been a positive move.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Taranaki.
We moved here in 2004, stayed till 2010 then went to Qatar for a couple of years. Moved back this year.
Really interesting reading your post and remembering what it is like when you first arrive.
If there is any help or advice we can offer please don't hesitate to make contact. It can be pretty daunting at times, lonely too.
Andy
Old Dec 1st 2012, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

Skends - yes the weather is better, but it does still get a bit nippy at night and we get a cold wind, however I walked to and from work last week (25 mins walk) and didn't get rained on and only wear my hoody in the morning (I'm walking at 6:30am), but my feet still get cold at night.

Mrs F - luckily we only have to give 1 months notice, didn't do a fixed term contract - we're doing some open homes tomorrow as we have a pre-approval in place from the bank on our to be mortgage.

Andy - thanks for the welcome.

OH is feeling happier - managed to skype his parents (suddenly the world feels smaller) and has done a little retail therapy (he bought me a bike). I do think he needs the work environment, but we planned that he would stay home for the first school summer holiday so that I didn't have to stress about childcare while I'm trying to adapt to the new job. They've given me 6 weeks of mon-fri earlies while I orientate so we get to do family stuff while the weather is good at weekends, but it does mean I'm doing Christmas eve, day and Boxing day. I've downloaded expat shield (found a free one) and have watched the beeb - loads of buffering though (no fibre optic) but it helps with the transition (we have freeview - I'll hold on my comments about the available TV here).

I've been offered another job - I work in the hospital but have been offered to join a group of independents, the job isn't available yet so I have time to think about it, will keep you all updated - I'm off for Tui now ; )
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your all starting to fit in and your enjoying your new life over here.

From someone who's worked both in the hospital and LMC settings just wanted to say think carefully about going indy so soon, it's hard, hard work. I'm semi independent now in that I work as an employed LMC so I have set time off and alternate weeks on and off call and after a year I'm already thinking of packing it in and going back to hospital work, as are my LMC colleagues who're NZ midwives. Although it looks amazing compared with UK midwifery the LMC system is fab for women but, in general, shit for the midwives who have to work in it.
Dont want to put you off and if its what you really want then go for it but please PM me if you want any more details on the pro's and cons before you make a decision.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

I've downloaded expat shield (found a free one) and have watched the beeb - loads of buffering though (no fibre optic) but it helps with the transition (we have freeview - I'll hold on my comments about the available TV here).
Hi there,

Glad you are settling in well to Taranaki! It's still new for us as well - loving the weather this last couple of weeks

Would you mind sending me a PM with the name of the free expat telly shield you use? I currently pay for mine... can't do without my Masterchef, Easties, Apprentice - saddo that I am!

With regards to renting - I am the same, keen to get on the property ladder but the banks won't lend to us for 6 months. It may be different for you if you have a larger deposit though.

HeatherGirl
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl
Hi there,

Would you mind sending me a PM with the name of the free expat telly shield you use? I currently pay for mine... can't do without my Masterchef, Easties, Apprentice - saddo that I am!

HeatherGirl
No. No. Noes.
I need help from you all..
I still don't really understand how to do this
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Lisa - I plan on staying in the hosp for a good while, the idea of being an LMC scares me a little at the moment!

HeatherGirl and Bevs - I'll get the web address when I'm next on the big puter, its an American site, was about five down the list when I googled expat shield.

HeatherGirl - are you coming into NP for the festival of lights on the 16th?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Hi there

I'm not sure - I'd like to but my OH has his work night out on the 15th, which I'm invited to, so it depends on state of heads. I've heard it's a must-see! Will def be taking kids through at some point to see it - do you know how long it runs for?

HeatherGirl
Old Dec 10th 2012, 2:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by thepinkone
Lisa - I plan on staying in the hosp for a good while, the idea of being an LMC scares me a little at the moment!

HeatherGirl and Bevs - I'll get the web address when I'm next on the big puter, its an American site, was about five down the list when I googled expat shield.

HeatherGirl - are you coming into NP for the festival of lights on the 16th?
Fank you

...and I love the avatar.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

festival of lights runs from 16/12/12 - 26/01/13, the bit of Pukekura park I've seen is really nice.

http://expat-shield.en.softonic.com/ this is the site I use, free to download but I find it buffers alot

Our offer on a house has been accepted - looks like we're here to stay
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Festival of Lights well worth a visit. It's not mind blowing or really over the top, just nice. Gets very busy and it is worth bringing a torch as the less well lit bits can be a challenge in the dark. The boats are normally for hire with a hastily attached car battery connected to some lights to add a very real chance of electrocution. If you have young kids they enjoy the 'sleeping giant' a papier mâché model up in the trees with a sound track that could be snoring or the results of a dodgy curry.
They also tend to paint thousands of tiny stones with that paint that glows in UV light which you'll be finding samples of in your car well into April.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

I use Tunnelbear to get the Beeb. You get 500mb for free, and pay for unlimited. (Not sure how much though). It's dead easy to use, even my DH can manage it ;-)
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

We're nearly 3 months in now and things are still pretty hectic.

Got the keys for our house earlier this month; we've bought a van (OH says we need to fit bikes, surfboards, canoes etc in - only have the bikes so far), have 2 new rescue kittens and we have our stuff (most of which is still in boxes). Oh yes, and we have a BBQ - living the dream!

Work has been pretty busy - I'm finding getting the work/life balance a bit hard, but it'll come. We are managing to get out on 1 of my 2 days off a week. The 10yr old has become a hermit - constantly skyping her friends (will change when the summer hols are over). I'm finding talking to my family and friends really hard - don't miss them too much until I talk to them and then I get all teary.

We still think its the best decision we made

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.