Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

3 months in and tickets are booked ........

3 months in and tickets are booked ........

Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future
Default Re: 3 months in and tickets are booked ........

Hi Sue,

Good luck with your move back and I support your decision 100%.

We went through this some 9 years ago, although the only difference is that we stayed 2.5 years before returning and in that time, were left pennyless - it completely wiped us out.

However, we have recovered financially (took a long time though), and that was against a UK housing market that at the time was rising. No regrets and we even have far greater time as a family in the UK than NZ. Funny, it took all that time and money just to discover we were better off where we were.

But I still complain about everything, including immigration - but this time round I am doing something about it and joined a decent political party!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:29 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Best of luck with your move back.

we have been here 4 years now (about 3.5 too long in my opinion) and I am really looking forward to our move back next year.

I truly believe that you know for sure, at some point what you need to do. For some it might take 3 years and for others 3 months. Neither is right or wrong.

I am from NZ originally and went to the UK to do my OE, met OH and had children there before we came back here. I never missed NZ and settled right into the UK (now where I consider home).
But we came back for that 'what if' it is better and I have found that nope it isn't. Different but it doesn't suit us as much.

And we will definately be back here for hols to see family but I can't see NZ as a long term option.

And of course living in earthquake central (just out from Darfield) I am at the moment wishing that it was next year already.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,
sorry that it hasnt worked out - it can turn out a bit more expensive than one might imagine. Wish you the very best of luck!

Berni
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Hi guy's and thanks for the comments. Back home, well nearly, I'm in Angelsey staying with my mum, while OH back in good old Manchester......... Home, sorting things out, got his old job back, so he'll be doing 4 and a half days for more money than the 6 he was doing in NZ. Went shopping.... to Tesco lots of treats going in the trolly Had a great suprise at the airport, my mates came to meet us with ballons and SAUSAGES very emotional, so another girlie night out on the cards Sometimes we take so much for granted, and need experiences like this to get rid of those rose tinted glasses and what if's. Life is good, glad I went, but theres no place like home. Good luck to everybody. Sue xx

Last edited by sue1234; Sep 16th 2010 at 7:47 am.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:08 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue1234
Hi guy's and thanks for the comments. Back home, well nearly, I'm in Angelsey staying with my mum, while OH back in good old Manchester......... Home, sorting things out, got his old job back, so he'll be doing 4 and a half days for more money than the 6 he was doing in NZ. Went shopping.... to Tesco lots of treats going in the trolly Had a great suprise at the airport, my mates came to meet us with ballons and SAUSAGES very emotional, so another girlie night out on the cards Sometimes we take so much for granted, and need experiences like this to get rid of those rose tinted glasses and what if's. Life is good, glad I went, but theres no place like home. Good luck to everybody. Sue xx
Glad its working out, dont forget to update your location in your profile....
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
Glad its working out, dont forget to update your location in your profile....
silly me.... all done
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

OMG i know what you mean! all of it, we've been here 2 years now and there just seems to be something tugging me, i can't even put my finger on 1 thing but what keeps going around and around in my mind is that what if my girls get to an age where they can live where they want and 1 of them wants to go home and the other wants to stay?????? and if i'm honest i always said i couldn't see myself living here forever, my OH is a sparky too and he works harder here than he did in the UK, he is a manager for someone else here and in the UK hwe owned our own electrical company but never worked as hard as we both have to here just to survive,
Hope your move back went ok and live is full of roses now x

Originally Posted by sue1234
Hi all, well were 3 months in, and what a fab time we've had..... untill reality kicked in. Arrived in Auckland 12th June, stayed Remurea for 3 weeks while OH did his Regs course (He'a an Electrician). Travelled to Whangarie ( Promised our 3 boys we'd go to Zion Wildlife Gardens) had a fantastic time, made our way down to Rotorua, loved it, even the smell...... you get used to it , then to Hawkes Bay, where, we intended to settle. Very quiet job wise, and after being in Auckland, whitch we all loved, middle of everywhere, everything going for it, we headed back. OH got a job 2 days into looking with a very good firm, but we were in temp accom in Beach Haven, which made it a nightmare to comute to work.We didnt move here to spend 3 hours a day travelling to a job.( I got a job in Mangere )Moved out of our holiday rental to Hillsborough, but you know, to cut a long story short, we've loved it, it's been an experience, if we were rich we would stay, even earning $85,000 between us,( me, part time,20 hours) we just cant afford to stay, and yes you can move outer city where it's cheaper.........pay less rent but more child care and petrol and have less family time and we didnt move here for that, we came for a better way of life,however putting our children in "Holiday clubs" and spending less time with them is not the way forward.We feel we were far better off in the UK, with one income, and the boys having a mum to come home to. Some of you might say we havent given it long enough, but sometimes you just know, we have savings...... if we stayed we'd have none, Really dont regret anything, and if anything a really good thing has come out of this, OH has promised to stop moaning about "Pakistanis, welfair and them bleeding it dry",LOL, His motto is "if it dont concern me, why worry. We are one, and dont be put off by us, everybody is different, but this is our honest update, Deffo come back for a holiday, sue xxx
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Leaving NZ was the best decision I ever made, so glad I got out when I did.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by aalls73
...but never worked as hard as we both have to here just to survive...x
Bingo!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Having the same sort of thoughts TBH.
Luke.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Having the same sort of thoughts TBH.
Luke.
Are things not working out for you?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Yep!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't seen this thread before: I really do feel for anyone (especially those with young families) here trying to make a go of it on sparky or other trades wages, it certainly ain't the picnic that some would have you believe.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:45 am
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

I left on 21st April and my stuff hasnt even arrived yet and I would be happy to go home tomorrow, I know I havent given it a go and my old life, job, home wont be the same if I go back, but it really wasnt that bad in blighty. Whats the saying about moving and bringing the same problems with you? Would have been better to sort them out before we got here, as they are bigger when your sitting on a bean bag in an empty flat (wearing thermals).
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Its working for us on some levels, but have only now have we realised what we had in the UK and that is wasn't so bad.

It would take us a longtime to get to the same position we were in (in all aspects of life), in the UK while over here. I think we are going to take the most from it and live the rest of the year here, but then go back.

For me (Luke) we have left so much behind that it was maybe a small mistake to leave it all behind.