3 months in

Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:45 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 months in

Thought it was time for an update.

We've now moved into a rented house. The views from the house are pretty special, yesterday we had another beautiful sunset as the sun descended behind the hills across the bay. We are basically at the top of a hill so it should be 'interesting' when the wind picks up. We've been told that the year has been unseasonably warm, sunny and still so far.

No sun facing deck on this house - shock! But we do have a veggie plot. The crops are coping so far thanks.

Our decision to stay in a backpackers to start with was a good one - we got to meet people from the outset which helped with the initial loneliness issue. Good weekly rates as well, because we were off-season when we arrrived. Not sure how it would work out peak season - and of course it depends on the backpackers and the mix of people around. After a while the constant turnover of people does get a bit wearing, you need to be lucky with the hostel manager and the other long-termers!

But I suppose, for me, the biggest news is that I have a job starting in mid-January. This means I can now turn my thoughts to more fun activities than job hunting!! Cool!

I tried the 'networking' approach for job hunting to start with, but it's just not me, I don't like the 'conversations and friendships with an agenda' thing. In the end I got a job via the more disengaged approach of CV and agencies. Call me unadaptable if you want The job market for software developers seems similar to the UK. Basically, if you have a strong marketable skill with experience then you will find a place - there seems to be plenty of contract work, but the permanent vacancies are not as plentiful as trade-me and seek suggest. Many vacancies are multiply advertised by the agencies, some are repeatedly recycled, some are trawling for exceptional talent without a real position. The wages on offer will disappoint you if you are from the South East of the UK, but if like me you're from Up-North then they are comparable. I suspect Auckland and Christchurch have their own economic conditions and I'm not sure how well observations translate from one place to another.

My OH has settled in reasonably well. She has suffered more from homesickness than me, but I think we expected that. Her work (as a nurse) is currently less challenging than in the UK - people keep asking her to leave them some work to do for when they get on shift...

So what are the main pluses and minuses for us so far?

Pluses :

- we've escaped from the rut we were in and we've done something a bit unusual and a bit exciting.
- double summer this year!
- we only need one car now instead of two
- we're growing vegetables and no one thinks we're weird
- our next door neighbours are great and we really get on with them
- we've both now got jobs - people are still being layed off at the company I used to work for and I would possibly have had to go by now
- fantastic views that we could never have achieved in Manchester
- proximity to the sea and the coast. The kayaking mission is taking shape as I type!

Minuses :

- Distance from family - yep that's the biggie for both of us and many others
- Difficulty of relating easily to the kiwis that I've met so far. There is a barrier and I don't know how easy it will be to cross. I think it's simply down to the fact that people find the place they live commonplace - they just don't 'get' why you would want to move to live here and don't know how long you will stay - they are more reserved as a result of that.
- Price of beer
- Our neighbours are moving to Tauranga soon. Biggest disappointment so far.

WP
Old Dec 16th 2010, 5:30 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months in

Congratulations on your job...... doesn't matter how you got it!! Good luck and all the best for Christmas in the sun and 2011
B x
Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:19 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:49 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent update, thank you for taking the time to post.

It's still early days, you'll meet more and more like minded people and feel the barriers come down I'm sure.

If all else fails, follow your lovely neighbours to Tauranga, it's cool here!!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:37 am
Near the outer fringe

It's cool here too, the wind is rattling the rafters and beating up the garden.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey WP. Great update.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Arrow Re: 3 months in

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Thought it was time for an update.

We've now moved into a rented house. The views from the house are pretty special, yesterday we had another beautiful sunset as the sun descended behind the hills across the bay. We are basically at the top of a hill so it should be 'interesting' when the wind picks up. We've been told that the year has been unseasonably warm, sunny and still so far.

No sun facing deck on this house - shock! But we do have a veggie plot. The crops are coping so far thanks.

Our decision to stay in a backpackers to start with was a good one - we got to meet people from the outset which helped with the initial loneliness issue. Good weekly rates as well, because we were off-season when we arrrived. Not sure how it would work out peak season - and of course it depends on the backpackers and the mix of people around. After a while the constant turnover of people does get a bit wearing, you need to be lucky with the hostel manager and the other long-termers!

But I suppose, for me, the biggest news is that I have a job starting in mid-January. This means I can now turn my thoughts to more fun activities than job hunting!! Cool!

I tried the 'networking' approach for job hunting to start with, but it's just not me, I don't like the 'conversations and friendships with an agenda' thing. In the end I got a job via the more disengaged approach of CV and agencies. Call me unadaptable if you want The job market for software developers seems similar to the UK. Basically, if you have a strong marketable skill with experience then you will find a place - there seems to be plenty of contract work, but the permanent vacancies are not as plentiful as trade-me and seek suggest. Many vacancies are multiply advertised by the agencies, some are repeatedly recycled, some are trawling for exceptional talent without a real position. The wages on offer will disappoint you if you are from the South East of the UK, but if like me you're from Up-North then they are comparable. I suspect Auckland and Christchurch have their own economic conditions and I'm not sure how well observations translate from one place to another.

My OH has settled in reasonably well. She has suffered more from homesickness than me, but I think we expected that. Her work (as a nurse) is currently less challenging than in the UK - people keep asking her to leave them some work to do for when they get on shift...

So what are the main pluses and minuses for us so far?

Pluses :

- we've escaped from the rut we were in and we've done something a bit unusual and a bit exciting.
- double summer this year!
- we only need one car now instead of two
- we're growing vegetables and no one thinks we're weird
- our next door neighbours are great and we really get on with them
- we've both now got jobs - people are still being layed off at the company I used to work for and I would possibly have had to go by now
- fantastic views that we could never have achieved in Manchester
- proximity to the sea and the coast. The kayaking mission is taking shape as I type!

Minuses :

- Distance from family - yep that's the biggie for both of us and many others
- Difficulty of relating easily to the kiwis that I've met so far. There is a barrier and I don't know how easy it will be to cross. I think it's simply down to the fact that people find the place they live commonplace - they just don't 'get' why you would want to move to live here and don't know how long you will stay - they are more reserved as a result of that.
- Price of beer
- Our neighbours are moving to Tauranga soon. Biggest disappointment so far.

WP
So it was great to read your message and to get some open views 'pluses'. We arrive in Hamilton in March, we both work in 'developing infrastructure' so lets hope we can provide support to all !!! Maybe we ca keep in touch, when we get settled we can have a pom party !!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:13 am
Near the outer fringe

Originally Posted by john and julie
So it was great to read your message and to get some open views 'pluses'. We arrive in Hamilton in March, we both work in 'developing infrastructure' so lets hope we can provide support to all !!! Maybe we ca keep in touch, when we get settled we can have a pom party !!
Pleased to 'meet' you I've been off line for a few days because I was 'up - north' in Rotorua - not so far from Hamilton actually. Lots to do and see there, all the geothermal stuff and lots of lakes. Adventure activities - whatever floats your boat really... We went to a free open air concert and firework display by the lakeside. So did 25,000 others!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased to 'meet' you I've been off line for a few days because I was 'up - north' in Rotorua - not so far from Hamilton actually. Lots to do and see there, all the geothermal stuff and lots of lakes. Adventure activities - whatever floats your boat really... We went to a free open air concert and firework display by the lakeside. So did 25,000 others!
Hey how did you find Rotorua.....we love it here but totally agree with the homesickness thingee.

I believe Skype was the best thing to ever grace the applications on my PC
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:39 am
Near the outer fringe

Originally Posted by kato33
Hey how did you find Rotorua.....we love it here but totally agree with the homesickness thingee.

I believe Skype was the best thing to ever grace the applications on my PC
Well it will come as no surprise that we noticed Rotorua was a bit smelly..... I think our motel must have been on a sulphur vent.

But I'm told that's part of the charm

As I said before there was lots to do and the town centre although spread out a bit is still walkable. I'm not sure how you stop feeling like you're living on top of a bomb though....

I can imagine it's not too bad a place to live. The lake would compensate me a bit for no coastline and you're certainly central to lot's of other attractions.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

Well it will come as no surprise that we noticed Rotorua was a bit smelly..... I think our motel must have been on a sulphur vent.

But I'm told that's part of the charm

As I said before there was lots to do and the town centre although spread out a bit is still walkable. I'm not sure how you stop feeling like you're living on top of a bomb though....

I can imagine it's not too bad a place to live. The lake would compensate me a bit for no coastline and you're certainly central to lot's of other attractions.
Some friends came down from Hamilton yesterday, and kept referring to the smell. I was like 'what smell?'.

It's the same principle as living next to a waterfall, I suppose.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bunnyphobia
Some friends came down from Hamilton yesterday, and kept referring to the smell. I was like 'what smell?'.

It's the same principle as living next to a waterfall, I suppose.
I dont smell it either....only in some places in town but dont find it that bad to be honest.

Rotorua....a great place to live
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
I dont smell it either....only in some places in town but dont find it that bad to be honest.

Rotorua....a great place to live
Ditto!
We feel exactly the same!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RobDon
Ditto!
We feel exactly the same!
You still round the corner???
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Yep still here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.