Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

3 months in ..........

3 months in ..........

Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Denise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really nice
Default 3 months in ..........

We touched down in Christchurch at the end of February, no job offers, no accommodation, not sure what to expect!

Hubby is a joiner and secured a permanent post after a week (pure luck and lots of phone calls). We are trying to live on the one wage at the mo - (so that I can spend time with our son who will be 2 next week) - tight but manageable.

We have been lucky and meet some nice people, and through them we found out about accommodation. At the moment we are renting in Halswell, but thinking of heading to Rangiora when our lease runs out (October).

Hubby has made friends through work, I'm finding it a bit more tricky although putting myself out there, and going to kids groups and chatting to as many people as I can. Skype is great for keeping in touch with family and friends back in the UK.

So far so good. We are defo getting to spend more time together and there is so much to see and do. Will keep you posted!!

Denise
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3 months in ..........

Hi Denise - great to know things are working out for you. We are flying out to Auckland the 14th June. We will also have to manage on one wage but it's the quality of life that matters, Best of luck for the future x
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Denise01292
We touched down in Christchurch at the end of February, no job offers, no accommodation, not sure what to expect!

Hubby is a joiner and secured a permanent post after a week (pure luck and lots of phone calls). We are trying to live on the one wage at the mo - (so that I can spend time with our son who will be 2 next week) - tight but manageable.

We have been lucky and meet some nice people, and through them we found out about accommodation. At the moment we are renting in Halswell, but thinking of heading to Rangiora when our lease runs out (October).

Hubby has made friends through work, I'm finding it a bit more tricky although putting myself out there, and going to kids groups and chatting to as many people as I can. Skype is great for keeping in touch with family and friends back in the UK.

So far so good. We are defo getting to spend more time together and there is so much to see and do. Will keep you posted!!

Denise
Hi Denise, glad to hear you are starting to settle in. All takes time but this place will feel like home before you know it. Having a littlie running around should help you start making a good social life. Good luck, Bevissa xxx
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Denise.
My first thought when I red you post and saw that you didn't know many people was "play centre". Now I wasn't a play centre mum as I was studying but know people that loved it. In case you don't know, it's a parent led early childhood education organisation. The kids can go from when they are babies. You have to help out and it's a great way to get to know people.

My friend blossomed there and went from being shy to just having finished her teaching degree. She gained so much confidence ( she was a migrant too)

Good luck