Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2years on and it's still crap.

2years on and it's still crap.

Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:49 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2years on and it's still crap.

ok

sorry its all gone pear shaped

OK im prepared for the flak..

Twelve weeks is not that long a time in the scheme of a lifetime. It sounds ans im probably wrong that you really like the country and what it has to offer.

Before you get on a plane and fly back to the other side of the world have you not thought of looking elsewhere in nz? If your wife is prepared to stay here while you are in the uk then maybe it would be an option for you to seek work anywhere in NZ.

Im not saying its ideal but then you would only be a few hours away and still in the same country.

That way you would be earning whilst still 'job hunting' for that all important job where you want it.

It is the worst time of year for jobs as from my experience EVERYTHING basicly shuts down from 18th december till 2nd feburary.

Im sure this has been explained before but what type of work is it you want?
There are jobs out there all be them not great and coming into summer there will certainly be seasonal work although I admit with uni students and alike they will be hard to find.

Have you thought of a franchise with a garunteed minimum weekly wage?
How about pest control? Heat pump installing?

I dont know you from a hole in the wall but I like your determination.

Its a quiet time of the year heat pump wise but go to www.hpso.co.nz to see what I do.

I would be more than happy to take you on and train you up in heat pump installs and point you in the right direction course wise to back that up.You would need to be prepared to go on said course NC in split system installation (look a SIT or CHCH colleges for breakdown of the course) its not expensive to do and would give you a really good qualification.

You would need experience to back that up but after a season with me that you would have along with a good refference and with that im sure a VERY good chance of getting work where you want.

The industry is tightening up and that training and course will be gold dust in the future.

I would also if you prefered it point you towards the NC in urban pest management.Again (im doing mine now) a good industry to get self employed in and make good money.

I dont mind saying here I can do three hours borer treatment and earn a profit that most would work an entire week for.Im not boasting here and borer season is limited but I want you to see that there is still $$'s to be made here.

i realise im in dunedin and that TBH i couldnt take you on untill end of Jan/feb but I would give you a minimum of 8 months work and then see from there.

Wage wise (im not a kiwi so here it is) would be $18p/h might not sound great but for a trainee that is good! I work a job's and home (job and knock) so pro rata it works out well on average for hours worked as I pay 8 hours regardless of how few you work.

so there you go If a job isnt what you want then I would be happy to give you a few weeks work experience and the all being well a refference to take back with you, might help cant say.

All the best and hang on in there.

george
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:21 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

George, that is just THE nicest thing I think I've ever seen on here.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
George, that is just THE nicest thing I think I've ever seen on here.
Agreed, George Post of the year I say!!!

Good on ya mate!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:56 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by george toni
ok

Twelve weeks is not that long a time in the scheme of a lifetime. It sounds ans im probably wrong that you really like the country and what it has to offer.

Before you get on a plane and fly back to the other side of the world have you not thought of looking elsewhere in nz? If your wife is prepared to stay here while you are in the uk then maybe it would be an option for you to seek work anywhere in NZ.

Im not saying its ideal but then you would only be a few hours away and still in the same country.

That way you would be earning whilst still 'job hunting' for that all important job where you want it.

It is the worst time of year for jobs as from my experience EVERYTHING basicly shuts down from 18th december till 2nd feburary.

There are jobs out there all be them not great and coming into summer there will certainly be seasonal work although I admit with uni students and alike they will be hard to find.

Its a quiet time of the year heat pump wise but go to www.hpso.co.nz to see what I do.

I would be more than happy to take you on and train you up in heat pump installs and point you in the right direction course wise to back that up.You would need to be prepared to go on said course NC in split system installation (look a SIT or CHCH colleges for breakdown of the course) its not expensive to do and would give you a really good qualification.

You would need experience to back that up but after a season with me that you would have along with a good refference and with that im sure a VERY good chance of getting work where you want.

The industry is tightening up and that training and course will be gold dust in the future.

I would also if you prefered it point you towards the NC in urban pest management.Again (im doing mine now) a good industry to get self employed in and make good money.

I dont mind saying here I can do three hours borer treatment and earn a profit that most would work an entire week for.Im not boasting here and borer season is limited but I want you to see that there is still $$'s to be made here.

i realise im in dunedin and that TBH i couldnt take you on untill end of Jan/feb but I would give you a minimum of 8 months work and then see from there.

Wage wise (im not a kiwi so here it is) would be $18p/h might not sound great but for a trainee that is good! I work a job's and home (job and knock) so pro rata it works out well on average for hours worked as I pay 8 hours regardless of how few you work.

so there you go If a job isnt what you want then I would be happy to give you a few weeks work experience and the all being well a refference to take back with you, might help cant say.

george
Hey thank you
just to let you know.
I know 12 weeks is not long. I have tried the length and breath of NZ for employment. From stacking shelves at the Warehouse to sorting mail at the Post Office. One of of the more bizarre ones I applied for was Kayak Guide I even made the short list for a job in Hamilton as a Cemetery Supervisor ( i had all the jokes to go with the job you know things like "its a dead end job etc etc" ). I will speak to my wife about what you have said.
The job offer I have had in the UK is almost to good to turn down its a good wage with a company I have worked for before and believe it or not i enjoyed working for them. I have worked in a different country to my wife before it not easy and we hate it.The job in the UK has come at a bad time i would have liked to give NZ more time but offers like this don't come that often and George you wont get any flak from me you seem a genuine guy
Hey lets all smile and enjoy the weather its great to see the sun
We are off for a few days in the camper van only going down the road to papamoa. going to have BBQ on the beach and watch the sunset on the Mount.
sounds good to me
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I have been applying for jobs for a year, no joy. We are not prepared to move to NZ without work.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Sorry that it hasn't worked out for you...it seems really tough over there at the moment. I think there was another thread about an IT guy (gbFunk I think) and he was saying about his job search, took him a good few months but in the end he found a great job. I know that it is easy to become despondent especially when there is a job offer in the UK, is there any way you can stretch yourselves just to hang on in there.

Would you consider doing something else just to tide you over?

Wishing you loads of luck.

Dannigirl
Sorry to hear your not settled.
I too am having that strange feeling of not knowing wether I have done the best thing or not. I love this place am not down in the dumps nor depressed yet still find myself wondering if the family have been truly happy here since we made the move almost 2 years ago.
Sitting here pondering on it all as we speak and am not quite sure how to settle it.
Suggestions??

Nici
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

George.
That post reminds me of what our little NZ BE is all about. Brilliant. If bdclayton could hang on in there , then maybe this could give them the breather they need. It could also give him much more time to 'network' which is probably what is needed for bdclayton to gain employment within his field.

As you're near the Mount bdclayton, do take Am Loolah up on her offer and go meet with a few folk.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 8th 2009 at 7:59 pm. Reason: spilling
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:53 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdclayton
Well after years of looking forward to coming back to NZ I am now looking for a flight home in the new year. I have run out of ideas of where to apply for jobs I have made over 50 applications and only had three interviews and one of those couldn't even be bothered to get back to me with a reply ( and they are a large NZ council) It looks like my qualifications and experience are not good enough for NZ. So i contacted Water Companies back in the UK and within one week had a offer of employment.We love it here but cant stay on one wage. My wife is even staying here while i go back to the UK to look for somewhere to live. I am a disappointed and sad but its just the way it is. Its a great place to be if you have a good wage or both of you are working but staying at home all day is not for me. We have only been here 12 weeks but its pretty obvious from the responses I get that there is little or no hope of getting a half descent job here. Before people reply and say things like "try voluntary work" etc,etc yep that's all well and good but its another wage we need for us to stay here.Its become my job to get a job if you see what i mean.We have a nice house here even a pool on the back and my wife can walk to work. We wont have that back in the UK. But at least i will gain back my self respect and be able to work and not sit about wondering what to do next.Please don't see this as a whinge or a moan its just my personal experience of NZ. I am sure there are many more people who have better experiences than me
Sorry things havn't worked out for you yet, despite all your efforts. Good luck & best wishes in whatever you decide to do.
B x
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:56 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Agreed, George Post of the year I say!!!

Good on ya mate!
Nice one George!!.....ditto above.
B x
Old Dec 8th 2009, 8:03 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

ok

george
georgy porgy you are a STAR!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Excellent post George...........
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the "give a bloke a go" attitude that we were led to believe the kiwis were full of.
Ironic that its come from a pom when none of the kiwis have been prepared to take a chance.
If the world had more people like you in it George it would be a better place. Thats an unbelievable offer
Good on ya
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:13 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers guy's.

It wasnt a post ment for such nice replies but thanks anyway.

I guess I just understand the situation as untill I came here I went from job to job and so on not reallyu having any direction.

Toni (my wife ) was a midwife and I stayed at home for 14 years as a 'house husband' back in 89. This was great and was done as I wanted to be the one bringing them up if my wife couldnt.

She really wanted to but as the bigger wage earner it was a no brainer.

During my time (im 43) I have been an ambulance office for the LAS,Coach driver,london bus driver,double glazing fabricator,pie deliverer,milkboy,dixons sales assistant,furniture remover,driving instructor,skip deliverer and the list goes on!

In between all that I got into plumbing in a big way and did all sorts of that before moving here.

Point is it wasnt untill I got here that things really started to open up.

Not because Im the dogs bollks but because I decided to invent myself.

I thought shit no one here knows me so for all they no im the best 'whatever' on the planet.

This led me into doing a few jobs that I got not from letters or waiting for adverts but from walking in and doing the 'giv us a job' thing.

That led to a job at a large plumbing firm followed by the same approach getting a job as a carpet cleaner (dont ask just went that way!)

After a while I landed a job via a word of mouth reccomendation via someone knowing I was looking. That in turn led me down the heat pump road.

After a year I became their install manager.Again through nothing more than having the ability to talk the hind legs of a donkey,sell sand to an arab and snow to an eskimo.

After a year doing that I had alot of contacts and decided to take the self employed leap.

Got some cards done walked into Harvey Normans and did the my company can do this speel (my company being me!) sht they only said yep and the rest is history.

We have had a bad year this year still a profit but staff issues etc been a pain.

My long awaited point is this.

Coming here will not be easy, there will be many up's and down's but stick with it and have a go at things you wouldnt normally do. For me being truly happy here (for me!) has been all about being self employed. Sure I could have stayed earning $22 p/h as the install manager but now im in charge of what I do.

I hope it works out for any and all who have the balls to come here.

As for the job in the UK I think that it sounds great and atleast it gives you an option.I would finaly add this.

Is it the job and the country you REALLY want to be in or is it (and dont take this the wrong way I know you have been trying) the easy way out?

all the best enjoy that down time you deserve it.I will be here and the offer is genuine. I will without putting preassure on you need to know if you are keen around mid to end jan as I will advertise the job here otherwise.

all the best

George
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Great post - such a generous offer.

I don't know BDClaton if you look at the government tender site - www.gets.govt.nz, but there is a tender up at the moment for someone with 'water' skills. You have to register to the site which is free.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited by MrsFychan; May 11th 2015 at 8:09 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:22 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

You should be careful what you write when customers are reading....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.