Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2years on and it's still crap.

2years on and it's still crap.

Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:24 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2years on and it's still crap.

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Well

First off Cantabrians are the butt of many jokes from fellow NZer's for their quirky ways, a lot are very insular and cannot see the further than the end of their nose, mostly outside CHc though. The driving standards just exude how they behave and although the roads are quiet they are dangerous unpredictable and a lot more as well.

There are many scroats that have loud exhausts and run riot in the city most weekends. burnout marks are more common than white lines her, it is all tolerated as well parents think it's ok for their kids to drive around all night at 15 with a gang of hoons in a car.

Access to the country, I have to drive half an hour to go training, footpaths are not common. Most is private land. I pay to have access to Ashley forest only at certain times.
One thing that pisses me off, is the locals fun at driving over the ducks. some make a conscious effort to run them over. Also throwing dead animals at school fund raisers. Just blows my mind how these locals think.

When I do go running in the mountains, meeting people with guns and dogs on accessible land is unnerving to say the least. Outwardly they all look like extras from the film deliverance.

I know it's a different country but some of the ideas seem archaic.

Loads more I could go on.

There is nothing as queer as folk. LOL

Mandie likes it here though good for her fair play.

By the way if anyone is a vegetarian, be prepared to starve. You will have to make it all yourself which is hard when you have a busy life.

Rgds

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
We're a veggie family and I HATE all the hunting rah-rah-rah and the attitude that if it's a pest it's OK to run it over or whatever. I don't come across any of this in the rural schools I've been involved with in Hawkes Bay and the Waikato, although I've heard about such fundraisers in Canterbury and round Palmerston North area.

There isn't the same range of pre-made veggie stuff here, that's very true and I'm currently struggling to find tempeh, which I love, but on the whole there's absolutely no need to 'starve' here, lol! The yoghurt is usually full of gelatine so I make it using easy-yo. I gave up on vegetarian cheese because it was too pricey for our budget, but it's here. I always buy free range eggs and we sometimes buy the vegetarian sausages that are easy to find here and made from tofu so much healthier than UK quorn or LM stuff. Tofu is in abundance here as are plant milks in general. We've had no worries integrating into quite rural communities as vegetarians and nearly three years on I can't say there's anything I particularly miss other than ready made decent quiche. You can't really buy frozen pizza here but we buy the olive oil bases and pizza sauce, a tin of four bean mix, some mozarella and tasty cheese and it's really yummy and super quick.
Thanks for the veggie info, I was starting to get concerned. Sounds better than Egypt, tofu is rare and haven't found any tempeh to date.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:38 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

just wanted to add this as a fellow vegetarian couple:
when we went on our recce recently to Chch we were amazed at the number of, and selection of vegetarian food in restaurants - and the food is absolutely delicious!
we hardly ever eat out, but i thought i would just mention it.
we hardly ever buy processed stuff (tofu etc), as we prefer to make our own food from scratch and sprout stuff, but i remember that when we went to the north island two years ago they had everything vegetarian we expected to find there in the shops.
as vegetarians we would have more than enough choice. woo-hoooo!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:56 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I have consciously stayed away from replying to this thread, but feel I can now it has progressed further. My reasons for not commenting early on are simply that sometimes posters mistake a Mod's views as not being those of a Posters! And believe me - at the end of the day we are posters foremost!

I live in the vicinity of the same town as the OP and also as bdclayton - but I can not relate to some of their individual points. An absolutely clear example, I would hope, of one man's meat - another man's poison?

I find some things more expensive than I had thought they would be - groceries probably being my major one. I've been here about the same time as the OP 2.5 years and have seen the weekly shop go up and up during that time. There are 6 of us and 2 big dogs and our weekly shop is around $400/week.

Orthodontal care has been expensive as compared to free in the UK - but we knew that before we came.

Likewise visiting a GP, but when we have needed to as oppossed to using a pharmacist, we've had an appointment the same day and a 15 minute + consultation - not the "We can see you in 3 days" like back in the UK.

We love the climate, we love the beaches, we have a fabulous social life and much of our entertainment with the kids is free or fairly cheap - mind you when you have 4 kids anywhere that you can take them all for under $40 as a family is a good thing! We have certainly found that due to the better climate we do alot more that is free as it is outside.

Education for our younger 2 (7 and 10) seems ok thus far. I am dubious about the 14 and 17 year old - as are they. But the 14 year old wants to go to Uni here and I am sure will, the 17 year old is undecided but is at least finishing her education next year.

Our car insurance, whilst voluntary, is way cheaper than the UK, as are rates. Utilities seem more expensive, and phones.

I suppose I'm trying to say it kind of balances itself out.

As for wages. We've always been self-employed here, so I can't really comment on that. We earn a comfortable income now, through working hours that suit us and fit around the family. We took a gamble, put some effort in, and hope to reap the rewards.

So, all in all, I would hope I have provided a fairly balanced view.

Oh, and PS: Bloody love it!
I think this is fair comment
i will bore you a bit now 6 years ago we came to NZ bought a campervan
in Auckland and drove to the top of the North to the bottom of the South
went Bungee jumping in Queenstown Freefall parachute,jumped, whale watched,paragliding, drove to Milford Sound. walked on Franz Josef and Fox glassier. We spent 4 months doing all this I even learnt to fly light aircraft in Queenstown We loved it so we stayed on and worked in Arrowtown but had to return to the UK for personal circumstances but vowed to come back so here we are.It was expensive 6 years ago nothing has changed
people on the average wage had no chance of buying a house then and its the same now. We knew all this before we came. We had a great deal coming out here our flights were payed and we had two weeks accommodation free.
BUT now we are here i cant even get a interview for any work ?
there are only the two of us here so why struggle ?
These are my own personal experiences. I like NZ that's why we are back here but you cant live on one wage I don't want to go back to the UK
but i don't want to be skint here either. There are people here who are very happy and people who are not you will always get that anywhere.
Its just how it is
I don't think there is any chance of me landing any sort of half descent job here that doesn't mean i will stop trying but there are other options and whilst looking here i will carry on looking else where to
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 10:20 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bdclayton
I think this is fair comment
i will bore you a bit now 6 years ago we came to NZ bought a campervan
in Auckland and drove to the top of the North to the bottom of the South
went Bungee jumping in Queenstown Freefall parachute,jumped, whale watched,paragliding, drove to Milford Sound. walked on Franz Josef and Fox glassier. We spent 4 months doing all this I even learnt to fly light aircraft in Queenstown We loved it so we stayed on and worked in Arrowtown but had to return to the UK for personal circumstances but vowed to come back so here we are.It was expensive 6 years ago nothing has changed
people on the average wage had no chance of buying a house then and its the same now. We knew all this before we came. We had a great deal coming out here our flights were payed and we had two weeks accommodation free.
BUT now we are here i cant even get a interview for any work ?
there are only the two of us here so why struggle ?
These are my own personal experiences. I like NZ that's why we are back here but you cant live on one wage I don't want to go back to the UK
but i don't want to be skint here either. There are people here who are very happy and people who are not you will always get that anywhere.
Its just how it is
I don't think there is any chance of me landing any sort of half descent job here that doesn't mean i will stop trying but there are other options and whilst looking here i will carry on looking else where to
I admire your persistance and wish you all the very best in your search - wherever it may take you.

It is my dream to pile us all into a converted bus and take off travelling the country. But those selfish bloody kids always have something going on education wise ... May have to do it in our retirement! It sounds fabulous.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:00 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting thread... I can see both sides of the argument - it works out for some but doesn't for others I am sorry you are struggling over there WW and hope things turn around for you.

On the flip side I just wanted to give an example of how things can work out for those thinking of emigrating.
My parents emigrated to Orewa, Auckland 3 years ago and absolutely love it. They have settled really well, made lots of friends (mostly expats but a few kiwi's!), both have jobs (mum doctors receptionist & dad self employed floor layer), cars and have bought their dream house overlooking the beach.

They take trips at the weekends, skiiing only 4 hours away and the beautiful bay of islands only 6 hours drive. They have just spent a week in Oz with friends.

Yes they have said some things are more expensive - groceries, dentist, utilities etc but then as someone else pointed out they feel it is balanced out as some things like insurance and petrol are much cheaper.

My hubby and I have visited them twice and fell in love with NZ. We have lodged our ITA and are just playing the waiting game now... we cant wait to get over there next year hopefully!

I do appreciate the honest views of all the people who have posted both neg and pos comments... we can only try and follow our dream and hope it works out eh?

Those that are struggling in NZ and have found it to be not what they expected I truely hope it works out for you
Old Nov 26th 2009, 12:32 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Very interesting thread... I can see both sides of the argument - it works out for some but doesn't for others I am sorry you are struggling over there WW and hope things turn around for you.

On the flip side I just wanted to give an example of how things can work out for those thinking of emigrating.
My parents emigrated to Orewa, Auckland 3 years ago and absolutely love it. They have settled really well, made lots of friends (mostly expats but a few kiwi's!), both have jobs (mum doctors receptionist & dad self employed floor layer), cars and have bought their dream house overlooking the beach.

They take trips at the weekends, skiiing only 4 hours away and the beautiful bay of islands only 6 hours drive. They have just spent a week in Oz with friends.

Yes they have said some things are more expensive - groceries, dentist, utilities etc but then as someone else pointed out they feel it is balanced out as some things like insurance and petrol are much cheaper.

My hubby and I have visited them twice and fell in love with NZ. We have lodged our ITA and are just playing the waiting game now... we cant wait to get over there next year hopefully!

I do appreciate the honest views of all the people who have posted both neg and pos comments... we can only try and follow our dream and hope it works out eh?

Those that are struggling in NZ and have found it to be not what they expected I truely hope it works out for you
Truly a great Post! Well done!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

julieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nice

Hi All
Have been reading the thread and there is lots that I agree with but it does depend how I feel that day. When I am feeling down then everything is crap but the one thing that cheers me up is that my kids love NZ.
It is very expensive and I have just added up the cost of my kids glasses which have been $1800 since April and that it using specsavers. We are lucky by earning decent salaries and we do have some money left over each month but I get quite scared when I am down to my last $40 dollars to feed a family of five before I get paid and I think to myself what in earth have we done.
On balance as adults we have given up too much to come to NZ, house, well paid job, family and the pros just dont balance this but time may tell and we have only been in NZ for eight months. The children are thriving and although the education in primary may not be as structured I do believe it is better as my son is much more confident and is changing from an "I cant" to an " I can".

So is NZ for us???? Dont know yet , If I was a betting person then I would say we will probably try OZ since we are both Engineers we could double our salaries but we will see.

J
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:11 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
just wanted to add this as a fellow vegetarian couple:
when we went on our recce recently to Chch we were amazed at the number of, and selection of vegetarian food in restaurants - and the food is absolutely delicious!
we hardly ever eat out, but i thought i would just mention it.
we hardly ever buy processed stuff (tofu etc), as we prefer to make our own food from scratch and sprout stuff, but i remember that when we went to the north island two years ago they had everything vegetarian we expected to find there in the shops.
as vegetarians we would have more than enough choice. woo-hoooo!!!
That sounds very promising, thank you again for your informative post spankysparkle! Coming from a country where vegetarian food is very hard to find I'm overjoyed there is a good selection in NZ.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Dizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the rough

We been here nearly four years now and despite the most bizarre list of disasters which include two vehicle crashes, three floods, one tornado, one death of a friend here, three marital breakdowns (not ours) and a malignant melanoma..... which is all good now, we still love it! I think... sometimes I want to look out of the window and check I'm not on the Truman Show... life is certainly more expensive here but we just spend differently. No more the impulse shopping for comforts, more the catch a bargain while you can and lots and lots of trade, trade me and freebie freecycling and very little is ever thrown away! We grow lots of veggies, feed our dog our leftovers and manage to feed four and a dog on less than $200 a week. No telly so no sky costs, lots of books from the library and yes, electricity is a bit of a killer so we watch were we light. Might sound all a bit worthy to you but we are so happy as we really think about what we do, it all matters and money is that little bit tighter. The kids can't have the latest gadget or gizmo but they have so much more.... oh goodness, now I am harping on. Enough, I say enough.... good luck to all who seek a future out here, sorry to those for whom it hasn't worked but better to have tried than never to have tried at all. Thanks for reading!!

Diz and co
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:01 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Well after years of looking forward to coming back to NZ I am now looking for a flight home in the new year. I have run out of ideas of where to apply for jobs I have made over 50 applications and only had three interviews and one of those couldn't even be bothered to get back to me with a reply ( and they are a large NZ council) It looks like my qualifications and experience are not good enough for NZ. So i contacted Water Companies back in the UK and within one week had a offer of employment.We love it here but cant stay on one wage. My wife is even staying here while i go back to the UK to look for somewhere to live. I am a disappointed and sad but its just the way it is. Its a great place to be if you have a good wage or both of you are working but staying at home all day is not for me. We have only been here 12 weeks but its pretty obvious from the responses I get that there is little or no hope of getting a half descent job here. Before people reply and say things like "try voluntary work" etc,etc yep that's all well and good but its another wage we need for us to stay here.Its become my job to get a job if you see what i mean.We have a nice house here even a pool on the back and my wife can walk to work. We wont have that back in the UK. But at least i will gain back my self respect and be able to work and not sit about wondering what to do next.Please don't see this as a whinge or a moan its just my personal experience of NZ. I am sure there are many more people who have better experiences than me
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

You've given it a real good go and done all you can to find work here. now
you have to go to where ever the work is to secure your future.
No regrets, at least you tried.
Good luck for the future.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Well after years of looking forward to coming back to NZ I am now looking for a flight home in the new year. I have run out of ideas of where to apply for jobs I have made over 50 applications and only had three interviews and one of those couldn't even be bothered to get back to me with a reply ( and they are a large NZ council) It looks like my qualifications and experience are not good enough for NZ. So i contacted Water Companies back in the UK and within one week had a offer of employment.We love it here but cant stay on one wage. My wife is even staying here while i go back to the UK to look for somewhere to live. I am a disappointed and sad but its just the way it is. Its a great place to be if you have a good wage or both of you are working but staying at home all day is not for me. We have only been here 12 weeks but its pretty obvious from the responses I get that there is little or no hope of getting a half descent job here. Before people reply and say things like "try voluntary work" etc,etc yep that's all well and good but its another wage we need for us to stay here.Its become my job to get a job if you see what i mean.We have a nice house here even a pool on the back and my wife can walk to work. We wont have that back in the UK. But at least i will gain back my self respect and be able to work and not sit about wondering what to do next.Please don't see this as a whinge or a moan its just my personal experience of NZ. I am sure there are many more people who have better experiences than me
Sorry it has not worked out for you but you have to follow the job market and I wish you all the best.

As a side note, and not meaning to be patronising or detracting from the post, but I feel that this post could serve as a cautionary note for others who are wondering whether they should make the journey without firm job offers and visa's. (I know that the OP had residency etc, but if they are unable to gain employment with visa's and residency, how hard will it be for those without is what I am trying to say).
The job market here is very fickle, I know of one couple who are here on holiday, waiting for their EOI to be approved etc who have been turned down for postions because they do not fill the application criteria, i.e they do not have a visa or permit, there is no guarantee they will get a visa or permit and the jobs they have applied for kiwi's are able to do and indeed have been offered the positions.

IMO, if you are considering coming out to NZ hoping to get interviews and job offers be very careful, you may be in for heartache (great if it works for you) but it is fraught with obstacles.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry it has not worked out for you but we also wish you all the best for the future.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:33 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am really sorry it hasn't worked out for you despite you clearly giving it your very best efforts. I wish my Husband had just one ounce of your work ethic - but there we go.)

If you'd like to come along to a Christmas get together in Papamoa before you go, please PM me and I'll give you the details.

If not, and that's fine, all the very best for your return.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that it hasn't worked out for you...it seems really tough over there at the moment. I think there was another thread about an IT guy (gbFunk I think) and he was saying about his job search, took him a good few months but in the end he found a great job. I know that it is easy to become despondent especially when there is a job offer in the UK, is there any way you can stretch yourselves just to hang on in there.

Would you consider doing something else just to tide you over?

Wishing you loads of luck.

Dannigirl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.