Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2years on and it's still crap.

2years on and it's still crap.

Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:45 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2years on and it's still crap.

Originally Posted by welshwales
O.k wind your neck in.... you think we didnt plan ahead. you think we didnt do over two years of research including a recce over here. I hope it goes tits up for you... read what people are saying on here and open your mind

Theres always one! Hope things get better for you if not drink Wine
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:33 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillyfar
oh well we planned things really well so we are not to worried. Things can not be as expensive as where we live in England now so we do not care if we take a pay cut. What we have worked out we will be better off in New Zealand. Some people go to New Zealand believing in the wrong things we are not doing that.
Good luck with that then. Wish the rest of us had 'planned things really well' rather than just blithering across here on a wing and a pray

Why can things not be as expensive here? Simply because you blindly choose to believe that over what people actually here living and struggling in NZ are telling you?

Don't get me wrong - I'm renowned on BE as being one of the extreme Happy Clappy bunch with my rose tinted spec firmly stapled in place but I find your post a tad smug to say the least and belittling to those on here who are already in NZ 'living the dream'.

Do you know the real cost of schooling here? Do you know how much a tin of paint is? Do you know how much you'll have to pay for doctors, dentists? My son (13) needs braces - nowt fancy just plain braces - cost = $6,000 so guess he'll have to live with wonky teeth. Do you know what it's like not to be able to provide your kids with what should be simple needs that used to get taken for granted?

I wish you well, I really do, but please don't patronisingly brush aside people's very real life experiences of NZ. We all planned. Life might have other ideas though.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Good luck with that then. Wish the rest of us had 'planned things really well' rather than just blithering across here on a wing and a pray

Why can things not be as expensive here? Simply because you blindly choose to believe that over what people actually here living and struggling in NZ are telling you?

Don't get me wrong - I'm renowned on BE as being one of the extreme Happy Clappy bunch with my rose tinted spec firmly stapled in place but I find your post a tad smug to say the least and belittling to those on here who are already in NZ 'living the dream'.

Do you know the real cost of schooling here? Do you know how much a tin of paint is? Do you know how much you'll have to pay for doctors, dentists? My son (13) needs braces - nowt fancy just plain braces - cost = $6,000 so guess he'll have to live with wonky teeth. Do you know what it's like not to be able to provide your kids with what should be simple needs that used to get taken for granted?

I wish you well, I really do, but please don't patronisingly brush aside people's very real life experiences of NZ. We all planned. Life might have other ideas though.
You've hi-lighted one of my major concerns- lack of good free dental health care for children. Adults have already lost that in UK.
but then I came across this.
Don't know whether it's of any use or if you've already looked into it.
If you think it will affect his confidence through adolescence then pay the $6000 on a bit by bit basis.
He'll thank you for it in later life.
I had to get all my children's teeth veneered to to incompetent GP prescribing an antibiotic that had been banned for use on children under 10.
Every time they smile I know the sacrifice was worth while.
Jennie
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:07 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I asked the orthodontist about a payment plan. Per month it was more than I earned! My OH's wage pays the bulk of the bills. My wage buys are food and if there is any spare extras like clothes and birthday presents and the odd trip out.

I have a bit of time as we're still waiting for 2 last 'baby' teeth to fall out before they can go ahead and fit the brace anyway. DS says he really wants to get his teeth sorted as he's too embarrassed to smile showing his teeth, which is sad. I'll find away somehow to get it done but each month when I think they'll be a bit spare to put to one side towards it, something else crops up that can't go without.

Even getting verucca's treated at docs, $10 first visit and then $5 each time after - think I paid around $80 in all (had previously tried all available OTC remedies which failed). Daughter is on long-term ABs - $21 each doc visit for her and $10 each repeat prescription of which 3 of us needs repeats each month. And it all adds up. Adult basic filling is $200. A crown is $1,200.

Like I said on another thread, one pair of regulation school socks is $13 and they fall apart in no time and there is no choice.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:12 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked the orthodontist about a payment plan. Per month it was more than I earned! My OH's wage pays the bulk of the bills. My wage buys are food and if there is any spare extras like clothes and birthday presents and the odd trip out.

I have a bit of time as we're still waiting for 2 last 'baby' teeth to fall out before they can go ahead and fit the brace anyway. DS says he really wants to get his teeth sorted as he's too embarrassed to smile showing his teeth, which is sad. I'll find away somehow to get it done but each month when I think they'll be a bit spare to put to one side towards it, something else crops up that can't go without.

Even getting verucca's treated at docs, $10 first visit and then $5 each time after - think I paid around $80 in all (had previously tried all available OTC remedies which failed). Daughter is on long-term ABs - $21 each doc visit for her and $10 each repeat prescription of which 3 of us needs repeats each month. And it all adds up. Adult basic filling is $200. A crown is $1,200.

Like I said on another thread, one pair of regulation school socks is $13 and they fall apart in no time and there is no choice.
Might it work out cheaper to fly back to UK and have the braces fitted there? You can pay for just the after care here. It may well be worth it as we've been quoted between $6,000 and $8,000 for braces. Our 2 edlest had them in the UK and thankfully have both finished their treatment now.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:26 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi There
just a bit of background before i get to the point about the Dentist

Before we came to NZ we lived in Bulgaria for six months ( we have residency there to) i drove all my furniture from the UK across Europe to our house there (we bought the house 5 years ago when they were cheap) it was less money to do that than ship the house contents here.
After a few weeks we had a strange request from some people we knew to see if they could stay with us whilst they visited the dentist? Of course we said yes. This happened twice more while me stayed there and we have even left the house keys with my brother in law who wants to go to the dentist there ?
Apparently there service is very good and less than half the price of the UK. I cant comment on service or price because i have never needed to go. Its just a thought instead of going to the UK
You probably think I am crazy for mentioning this.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Might it work out cheaper to fly back to UK and have the braces fitted there? You can pay for just the after care here. It may well be worth it as we've been quoted between $6,000 and $8,000 for braces. Our 2 edlest had them in the UK and thankfully have both finished their treatment now.
You have to reside in the UK and have a 'permanant' address to have free dental care in the UK, even then you put your name down on the list which could be a while! My daughter was waiting for all her adult teeth to come through before getting hers in the UK, damn shame as we're paying $225 a month off for 2 years, plus the initial $2,000 we had to pay here in NZ.

I've been told that the best thing (and cheapest!) is to get dentistry done in India.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

I have to agree with lots of comments here. Ive been here for 6 years now and I think in many ways NZ is crap. I BTW have 2 boys both needing braces =$14-15,000

I think NZ is boring, Very Boring... I find the NZ'ers I have met shallow i.e Funny and friendly one day...not got the time of day for you the next. We still have only 2 sets of friends (Not for the want of trying)

I find mums at the school clicky they don't even get back to you when you send the kids birthday party invitations.

I think the food is CRAP....Everything with CHIPS please

Salaries are crap, Housing costs are huge, bills are huge, healthcare costs huge.

I am beginning to look like Rapunzel due to no money to cut my hair, can't afford to buy as many clothes as the UK and the quality is crap anyway and the style of them are crap (Unless you want to look like a nanna)....and they are made of crap.

Oh and some people will say "But NZ is beautiful" Oh yes it is but guess what...You can't eat or pay the bills with the beauty!!!!

Why not move somewhere else I hear you say...

Well this is the reason...I have adopted 2 kiwi kids and their birth family won't allow it "Stink Eh"
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by NZGrl
I have to agree with lots of comments here. Ive been here for 6 years now and I think in many ways NZ is crap. I BTW have 2 boys both needing braces =$14-15,000

I think NZ is boring, Very Boring... I find the NZ'ers I have met shallow i.e Funny and friendly one day...not got the time of day for you the next. We still have only 2 sets of friends (Not for the want of trying)

I find mums at the school clicky they don't even get back to you when you send the kids birthday party invitations.

I think the food is CRAP....Everything with CHIPS please

Salaries are crap, Housing costs are huge, bills are huge, healthcare costs huge.

I am beginning to look like Rapunzel due to no money to cut my hair, can't afford to buy as many clothes as the UK and the quality is crap anyway and the style of them are crap (Unless you want to look like a nanna)....and they are made of crap.

Oh and some people will say "But NZ is beautiful" Oh yes it is but guess what...You can't eat or pay the bills with the beauty!!!!

Why not move somewhere else I hear you say...

Well this is the reason...I have adopted 2 kiwi kids and their birth family won't allow it "Stink Eh"
Agree with alot you say, omg that much for braces, glad mine dont need them! yep the shops are crap im still wearing my clothes from the uk, luckily I can still have my hair done, my husband earns a good wage and i suppose we are lucky, but I dont agree with the food being crap i dont know where you eat but Ive had lots of nice food, I dont go to Mcdonalds and Breakers or Irish pubs! in fact I think the food is alot better here than the UK eating out anyway, perhaps not so much in Wangas but other places Ive had lovely meals.

I agree with people being shallow and they are false and Ive yet to make friends yet and Ive been here over 2 years, luckily I have a best friend in Napier and a good crowd of expats i might add, hence wanting to move their later .

we are giving it another 3 years in good old Boring Wangas, then try and move somewhere else in NZ or Oz maybe.

If i was struggling for money then I would be very pissed off indeed
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillyfar
oh well we planned things really well so we are not to worried. Things can not be as expensive as where we live in England now so we do not care if we take a pay cut. What we have worked out we will be better off in New Zealand. Some people go to New Zealand believing in the wrong things we are not doing that.
trolling now surely?????
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
And ps...I want to Live in Napier
I haven't been to Wanganui but I don't think Napier is the answer to your 'small town blues'. You probably need Wellington or Auckland or maybe Christchurch/Dunedin at a pinch....only places I reckon I could realistically stay long term in.....as like you I generally prefer bigger places with facilities.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I haven't been to Wanganui but I don't think Napier is the answer to your 'small town blues'. You probably need Wellington or Auckland or maybe Christchurch/Dunedin at a pinch....only places I reckon I could realistically stay long term in.....as like you I generally prefer bigger places with facilities.
Thanks and yes maybe but I have friends in Napier and I like it, and they have lots of facilities, and a lovely sunny climate and well better than wangas or should I dare say it the wonderful palmerston north
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

My son (13) needs braces - nowt fancy just plain braces - cost = $6,000 so guess he'll have to live with wonky teeth. Do you know what it's like not to be able to provide your kids with what should be simple needs that used to get taken for granted?
Teamembo, sorry to hear this but if it's any consolation I understand from Woolycow that thesedays only the worst cases are automatically covered on the NHS whereas I got my braces for free in the 1970s. (BTW my parents didn't even know what an ortho was so thank goodness for NHS then).

My NZ dentist warned me when we arrived that one of my kids would need orthodontics so have been able to prepare for this...he has also said we need to wait until we know we are in one place for at least 2 years lol...(when will that be?) but my son is still a bit younger than yours but I'm sure it's something which can be dealt with a bit later on as well if necessary.
Good luck don't beat yourself up too much about it..I think this poster is just a troll anyway...too smug to be genuine.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by love30stm
Thanks and yes maybe but I have friends in Napier and I like it, and they have lots of facilities, and a lovely sunny climate and well better than wangas or should I dare say it the wonderful palmerston north
Sorry hadn't seen the bit about best friend when I posted....having a best friend would make a difference to any location I agree so I can understand that being part of the attraction and the weather too.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Have to admit posts like this are sobering...yes, we have done our research. Yes we have done our recce visit - but visiting is very different from living anywhere!

We both have jobs so hoping money won't be too much of an issue, and could well cut back on some of our luxury 'necessities'. The big thing for me tht worries me is people talking about the work/life balance, which is one of our main reasons for coming...The whole car park thing definitely has me spooked Welshwales and I hope you manage to get back to the UK if that is what you want.

Still want to give it a go and we will be trying NZ out for size in January. I guess I would rather regret coming to NZ that regret not going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.