Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2years on and it's still crap.

2years on and it's still crap.

Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2years on and it's still crap.

Originally Posted by love30stm
LOL who gives a shit in fact this BE is getting tiresome
lol, to be honest i'm with you on the food thing here, (sorry for going slightly off the thread topic) On arrival here last year, I hated almost everything I cooked but to be honest my attitude was alot worse than my cooking!!! Since seeing things clearly and really enjoying it here now, i'm finding new foods that I love everyweek and there are some really great places to eat. It is an expensive country to live in. I am still in shock that I paid $120.00 on white paint and that was one that was on special....... ah but sure isnt me window sills looking only gorgess so they are!!!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

Midwifery is not as crap as those on here would lead you to belive.

My wife has many years experience as a midwife worked at Kings,guys,st Thomas along with agency work.

Came here 5 years ago to dunedin hospital and worked up the ladder quickly firstly to ACM role then onto become the educator.

Over the five years she has seen it all.

*****************O.k my wife has only been a midwife for a year before we came over here (we are young). In the two years she has been here she has delivered three babies, The lmc's come in deliver the baby then get the $$$$ and leave, leaving the midwives in the hospital to clean up after them, and i do mean clean up i.e take the dirty bed sheets off and take them to the laundry. My wife became a midwife to deliver babies not clean up after them.

Now she is leaving the educator role and setting up as an LMC.

What I would say is that the situation you find youself in is mainly down to the area you are in.Maybe you need to move south island way as its much more laid back.

************no thanks to many happy clappers and its cold

As for being a third class citizen cant understand that.A maori birth has many levels to it and is a real 'family' based thing. She has donre heaps of them and has been treated with respect and enjoyd them.Sure they are different but heck when in Rome!

*************She aint been to gangsta land Tauranga then,

Wage wise midwifery pays well by NZ standards and LMC work for 4 women a month is about $8k a month mark.

She has set up a small team of hand picked midwifes and wont be on call 24/7
and the work life balance will be great.

***************O.k just this week my wife has had two lmc's that have been awake for over ( one well over) 24hrs The first woman was in three nights on the run with the same woman !!! then in the daytime she has her pre and post natal to do and her clinics. no work life ballance there.

I would have to say get a grip and take your job by the balls.Sure things are different here and yep some of the LMC's might be a bit crazy but on the whole I think the system here is far better.

***********get a grip and take my job by the balls or my wife's

The LMC thing enables ANY woman to choose her midwife and get good care fromn them.Having gone through the UK system fout times as a dad to be I can say what I see beats hands down the overworkd under staffd Midwives there.

***********I agree with the overworked midwives over there. But is good care having a midwife deliver a baby who has been up the previous night and then after three hours sleep going to do her daytime clinics and then at the hospital again that night ??? and these are midwives in a team.

Right thats the midwife bit.

Moving to NZ then going to Auckland is maddness and only to be done if that is the ONLY place you can get work.It pisses me off when people get there and then moan about traffic,high house prices,crime yawn yawn yawn.

*********** I dont live in auckland, and as this is a post about MY update

Again coming here to an area that has a large Maori population and then saying you feel third class well heck maybe you are a minority in that particular area.Id say move and you would see a huge difference.

**************Trying to !!!! have you read the posts

This country is by far a hard one to live in when poor.And no im not rich.

We came here with just $75k yep dollars and now have a large mortgage,we have four daughters,3 dogs and all the other bills and crap that go with a 'normal' life.

**********We came with $20k YEP dollars

At times our life is bloody hard I run my own heat pump company and this year has been tough.

***********Try working in the construction industry

We have debts,shop for bargins,dont have mega holidays etc.

************NEVER had a holiday

But guess what that would be the samr back in the UK with the one big difference.Over here despite all that we love the place.

I have always said you cant live on the views and this is so true.However not everything you do to have fun costs alot.

People here are far more freindly and laid back,they say hallo,they smile,they dont walk head down with a who the f..k are you looking at attitude and the girls have a life at school that involves regular excercise everyday fat or thin no one cares.

***************O.k my daughter got bullied so much in one school that we had to take her out and change schools.. yet another uniform... they cared cos she was fat !!!!

All this I reckon is mainly down to living in Dunedin which if I say so is unique even for NZ standards.

********I'll go with that.

It took us two years of hard graft to settle here,we went out met people and made an effort to 'fit in' with the Kiwis, come here like a typical brit expecting to be waited on as superior and you will be found out.A bit like those who move to spain not learning the language and then shouting when not understood.

***********Didnt say we didnt have friends...

NZ is not Little Britain the ONLY similar thing being the language move here with a ex pat attitude and you might as well go home.

**********TRYING TO !!!!

Reasearch is all good and should be done but in the end only when you get here will you really get a feel for it.

Sorry to be a bit all over the place with this post.

Last edited by welshwales; Nov 12th 2009 at 7:47 am.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

forgot to mention. there are 7 midwives who have handed their notice in at Tauranga, one of which is the manageress
The system sucks...
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:25 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply.

two years and only three deliveries would worry me big time.

Im sorry to here how crap it is for your wife and her experience sounds enough to put off most new midwifes, even a student in the uk has to deliver 40 to qualify over the 3 year course so three in two years would be a worry.

I would say area or not you might need to move to a more busy unit as if you are understaffd and still only getting three every two years your wifes future prospects and confidence will stop/suffer.

LMC's being up 24 hours does on occassion happen but that is there choice and the way they choose to practice.I agree that it isnt good for them or the mum to be.

As a midwife in the UK in a homebirth team (kings hospital) my wife did on a few occasions end up pulling a 24 hour shift not through choice but down to staff levels etc. This was a killer and only done on the very odd time.

Over here she has set it up so that there are always two on call and two off call a day if one of them goes out and gets tired then they call so they can take a break have a sleep.The women meet the team so know the midwifes and are told this is how they work and are fine with that.

Again all down to how you want to practice as a midwife.

I havnt been to the North island and no I havnt been to your area as when looking into moving here we reasearchd demographivc and saw the population to be biased a particular way.

This is fine but for us we wanted to settle in a place with a more cosmopolitan mix (coming from london) and not in a place where we would be a minority.

Thats fine for some but not for us.

Move to a bigger hospital and your wife will be run off her feet and will get deliveries,stay put and sorry but nothing will change.

I work alongside the construction indusrty so know how hard it has been for them.dosnt make it a less hard year for me having to lay off 4 staff and keeping two id say makes us even!

you do come accross as a bittter about NZ and thats to be understood as it sounds like youve had a bad run.

Again I would say move on or just put up with it as after two years if things are that bad and you stay then what can anyone here do to help.

good luck for the future

my post was to give the positive side of midwifery in balance to the negative view to give those on here a couple of views to think about.Neither of us are right or wrong its just a point of view.

george
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Pm'd you
but as a side note, come to cambridge
Where over 25% of the population are brits
No bloody maori's here mate making you feel 2nd class.
And because of the high number of moaning poms
the schools are pretty good.
Tauranga IS well recognised statistically as being a VERY
poor area per head of population and it aint the poms
that are making it so.
I've been looking at starting a bussiness and researching areas
that might be suitable.
The first thing that stands out when you study and
compare area demographics is the relationship between maori
population and poverty levels. they go hand in hand.
There are lots of hard working maori out there, unfortunately
they are being tarred with the same brush as the majority
of lazy ones who think they are still warriors and
are happy to bleed the system.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:19 am

well said colandros think you sum it up as good as a nail on the head
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:17 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by colandros
Pm'd you
that are making it so.
that might be suitable.
All i want is a bloody job
i am in Tauranga and i am a pommy
i have lost the count of my job application
before the happy clappers come on line and say "try knocking on doors and try the yellow pages " I have been there and done that
not sure what to do next
and i did my research before coming here
six years ago i was working on the South Island
what a mess
i will give it until Christmas there are more options that NZ
it is a beautiful place but it has problems
good luck NZ
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:03 pm

sorry if ive missed this before but what is it you do for a living,do you have children in tow.

if so I can understand not moving on if they are settled.

What was so bad with the south island? what part were you working in there?

If you dont have children and have no other ties then maybe your best option is to move to another area to try your luck there.

Im not sure where you are is the best place to be in the world to be a pom and get a job.

Are you saying you cant get ANY work or is it just you cant get the job you want? this year has been tough on many and so finding a job of choice now is harder than it would have been two years ago when all was rosy.

Maybe you need to think along those lines and broaden the things you will do untill the good times role again (and they will its human nature).

If you have done that allready the sorry if not then well.....

Have you considered setting up your own biz.Maybe not an option but I have to say from experience its the only was imo to make better money here.

and it isnt about spending loads to do so just takes balls to do and hard work,balls you must have having moved top NZ so that leaves the hard work bit? if you arnt earning now then any you make will be more than nothing and who knows where it will go.

what about a franchise? not for all and be VERY VERY carefull as to what it might be you did but from a new biz point of view its a in general proven formular and with many come with a income minimum all be it with strings.

maybe look into that as I have found there is ALWAYS room for another type of operator in many bizness as its all about quality of service.

Ive tried carpet cleaning,mr green and now run my own heat pump install company.

that has been hard work this year and I got burned badly by a very large orange mega place which cost me $30k! so I know all about hard times.

Do I sit and moan nope pick myself up re work what my plan is beg to the IRD(who i have to say have been great and helped me really well) and move forward.

Life is not about how we handle the good times but how we cope with the bad,do that and then you are living.

good luck

george
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Here is a previous post from bdclayton which saves him from writing the details out again.

From here

Originally Posted by bdclayton
Hi there
thank for the reply
yep i have tried Priority One Gail Elliot sends me a list of jobs every two weeks and i have resisted with two job agencies in town.
My line of work is waste water ( sewage treatment ) not flattering but usually there is work. Before we came out here i sent CVs to the local council and City Care to get a feel for the job situation the council even gave me a phone number to ring when i got here. I also went to the jobs expo in Leeds and spoke to several engineering firms again i got good feed back about getting work.I did ring the number the council gave me when we arrived and i was just a joke really ( they were very friendly and polite)
they said " yep we have your CV its really good to know there is someone in the area with your background but we don't have anything at the moment"

I have tried knocking on doors and Trade Me web site Brick 7 web site Seek web site and many more i have subscribed to all there email alerts for any type of job.I am now trying all over NZ as we are willing to relocate. i think i have exhausted Tauranga
My wife is a nurse so the jobs are easy for her to get. I am not disillusioned by all of this its just how it is.
But you have to be practical. There are only two of us out here and we can not live on one wage we are starting to break into our savings and we can see were we will be in another years time if this carries on.
We are giving it until Christmas then we will try else where maybe Australia
or even return to the UK
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:31 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by george toni
sorry if ive missed this before but what is it you do for a living,do you have children in tow.

if so I can understand not moving on if they are settled.

What was so bad with the south island? what part were you working in there?

If you dont have children and have no other ties then maybe your best option is to move to another area to try your luck there.

Im not sure where you are is the best place to be in the world to be a pom and get a job.

Are you saying you cant get ANY work or is it just you cant get the job you want? this year has been tough on many and so finding a job of choice now is harder than it would have been two years ago when all was rosy.

Maybe you need to think along those lines and broaden the things you will do untill the good times role again (and they will its human nature).

If you have done that allready the sorry if not then well.....

Have you considered setting up your own biz.Maybe not an option but I have to say from experience its the only was imo to make better money here.

and it isnt about spending loads to do so just takes balls to do and hard work,balls you must have having moved top NZ so that leaves the hard work bit? if you arnt earning now then any you make will be more than nothing and who knows where it will go.

what about a franchise? not for all and be VERY VERY carefull as to what it might be you did but from a new biz point of view its a in general proven formular and with many come with a income minimum all be it with strings.

maybe look into that as I have found there is ALWAYS room for another type of operator in many bizness as its all about quality of service.

Ive tried carpet cleaning,mr green and now run my own heat pump install company.

that has been hard work this year and I got burned badly by a very large orange mega place which cost me $30k! so I know all about hard times.

Do I sit and moan nope pick myself up re work what my plan is beg to the IRD(who i have to say have been great and helped me really well) and move forward.

Life is not about how we handle the good times but how we cope with the bad,do that and then you are living.

good luck

george
Just to clear up a few points from this post.
I really like the South Island i enjoyed my time there and made good friends who i still keep in contact with.
Why would i invest in a businesses in NZ ??
You have said in your post you lost 30k? Not a wise move ?
It doesn't take that much balls to move here try living in a country where hardly anyone speaks English and is full of corruption I came here from Bulgaria where i found work (I even have residency there now)
living condition are far worse than NZ and hardly any health system but i had a great time and was warmly welcomed by the Bulgarians.
Then you mention "hard work" have you ever worked on a Coal Face ? try that for hard work.
Have you ever lived anywhere other than the UK and New Zealand ?
NZ is not for everyone i love it here but you both have to work to get by
I have never been out of work and find it very odd and boring.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:04 am

Ok think this has run its course no point going on.

but as you have cut and paste and replied so must I then I will call that a day

You have said in your post you lost 30k?
Not a wise move ?
Lost $30k yep but turned over $250k in my second year so id say a wise move on most fronts and compared to the $22 p/h I was earning as an install manager doing the very same job id say proves my point in as much as working for yourself can be a good way forward.

It doesn't take that much balls to move here maybe if you are single that might be the case but try it blind without the house selling before you move here with four children in tow having never visited before and id say thats balls'y enough for most.

try living in a country where hardly anyone speaks English and is full of corruption I came here from Bulgaria where i found work (I even have residency there now)
living condition are far worse than NZ and hardly any health system but i had a great time and was warmly welcomed by the Bulgarians.
erm I have to say well done you as TBH it wouldnt take much reasearch for me to rule a move out like that,you tell it as though we should be amazed by the standars found there and the lack of any systems in place I mean please compare apples with apples, great they were freindly but I get that here without all the other crap.

Then you mention "hard work" have you ever worked on a Coal Face ? try that for hard work. Again please, who are you kidding with that line, hard work is more than just a job its getting through life chin up.When you have four young children to feed and work nights in a petrol station and days pushing trollys while your wife earns stuff all as a student bar a very small bursary living in the Albany estate in peckham yet still remain married and positive 25 years later all at just 43 years old then push forward to give your kids a better chance in life as well that 'hard work'

Id say London/cumbria and then NZ was more than enough thankyou and whats that got to do with anything? sure Bulgaria wins on the poor place front in terms of countrys to move to but Iv'e lived in total crap holes in London and didnt need to go abroad for the pleasure.

That is very tru its not for all and nor is being unemployed.

Im sorry that you find it so tough here and my previous post was just an ideas one as maybe you hadnt considered self employment it wasnt ment to offend and as I said its horses for courses no right or wrong just different opinions.

I will keep out of this post now as iv'e said all I need to.

All the best and hope you find what it is you are searching for soon

George
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by welshwales
1. The wages
2. Being able to afford a dentist/doctor
3. being able to afford new clothes
4. having some shops to buy clothes
5. a better education for my kids
6.better roads
7. not being raced down the road by a 15 year old in a wrx that needs no insurance
8.less of a gang culture ( in and out of school/work)
9. being a first class citizen ie 1st maori 2nd kiwi 3rd expat
10. friends and family
11.having the major supermarkets compete with each other not two cartels and thats it.
12. being able to see my wife for more than 5mins in a car park every morning
13. not living in a country with one of the highest domestic violence rates in the world.
14.heating
15. double glasing
16. if i need an ambulance i shouldnt be worrying if i can afford the $85 charge for the call out
17. when i give my 10 year old my 13 year olds home work i dont expect her to say i did this in primary school in wales.
18. free education, whatever option my daughter choses there is a fee.

You dont know the half of it.
Hey you should try to get to Canada, it's not fantastic but it sounds better than NZ! How about Oz, what's it like there these days??
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:35 am
Busy Again

Originally Posted by george toni
Ok think this has run its course no point going on.

but as you have cut and paste and replied so must I then I will call that a day

You have said in your post you lost 30k?
Not a wise move ?
Lost $30k yep but turned over $250k in my second year so id say a wise move on most fronts and compared to the $22 p/h I was earning as an install manager doing the very same job id say proves my point in as much as working for yourself can be a good way forward.

It doesn't take that much balls to move here maybe if you are single that might be the case but try it blind without the house selling before you move here with four children in tow having never visited before and id say thats balls'y enough for most.

try living in a country where hardly anyone speaks English and is full of corruption I came here from Bulgaria where i found work (I even have residency there now)
erm I have to say well done you as TBH it wouldnt take much reasearch for me to rule a move out like that,you tell it as though we should be amazed by the standars found there and the lack of any systems in place I mean please compare apples with apples, great they were freindly but I get that here without all the other crap.

Then you mention "hard work" have you ever worked on a Coal Face ? try that for hard work. Again please, who are you kidding with that line, hard work is more than just a job its getting through life chin up.When you have four young children to feed and work nights in a petrol station and days pushing trollys while your wife earns stuff all as a student bar a very small bursary living in the Albany estate in peckham yet still remain married and positive 25 years later all at just 43 years old then push forward to give your kids a better chance in life as well that 'hard work'

Id say London/cumbria and then NZ was more than enough thankyou and whats that got to do with anything? sure Bulgaria wins on the poor place front in terms of countrys to move to but Iv'e lived in total crap holes in London and didnt need to go abroad for the pleasure.

That is very tru its not for all and nor is being unemployed.

Im sorry that you find it so tough here and my previous post was just an ideas one as maybe you hadnt considered self employment it wasnt ment to offend and as I said its horses for courses no right or wrong just different opinions.

I will keep out of this post now as iv'e said all I need to.

All the best and hope you find what it is you are searching for soon

George
mm another
i have done it all seen it all post
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:20 am

far from it just been there and done some of it just and opinion sorry it dosnt match with yours but as said just a reply.

nothing personal I just had to point out my side to your comments as your post asked me some questions hence the answers.

Again im not smug enuf nor up my own ars enuf to think I know it all or have all the answers just points of views to balance out one from the other

nuff said, end of ,no more,the end
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:25 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdclayton
don't know where you are nursing ??
my wife is a Mental Health Nurse working on a Acute Ward
working shifts (Nights tonight) weekend and Bank Holidays
and is paid $44k.
there is no way she could earn that kind of money
That can't be right. Is your wife an NA? The starting salary here for nurses when we came out in 2007 was $40K PLUS penals and therefore she can't earn $44K fully qualified WITH penals, unless you are referring to an after tax figure? In which case it might be more transparent to say that and also mention how much tax credit you get because I bet some UK nurses reading this and planning on moving here wil be sweating over those figures.

For comparison, my dh, who has been qualified 3-4 yrs earns per fortnight, after tax and credits, in the region of $2K depending upon the penals.

It's not a lot but I must say that the opportunities to further your nursing career here if you've the inclination are fantastic.

Originally Posted by colandros
Pm'd you
that are making it so.
that might be suitable.
Ugh. What an ugly, narrow minded post. I am not going to get into any sort of discussion with you about your views here, but you paint an ugly picture of those of us living in Cambridge and one which I wish to disassociate myself with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.