Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2years on and it's still crap.

2years on and it's still crap.

Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2years on and it's still crap.

Originally Posted by welshwales
1. The wages
2. Being able to afford a dentist/doctor
3. being able to afford new clothes
4. having some shops to buy clothes
5. a better education for my kids
6.better roads
7. not being raced down the road by a 15 year old in a wrx that needs no insurance
8.less of a gang culture ( in and out of school/work)
9. being a first class citizen ie 1st maori 2nd kiwi 3rd expat
10. friends and family
11.having the major supermarkets compete with each other not two cartels and thats it.
12. being able to see my wife for more than 5mins in a car park every morning
13. not living in a country with one of the highest domestic violence rates in the world.
14.heating
15. double glasing
16. if i need an ambulance i shouldnt be worrying if i can afford the $85 charge for the call out
17. when i give my 10 year old my 13 year olds home work i dont expect her to say i did this in primary school in wales.
18. free education, whatever option my daughter choses there is a fee.

You dont know the half of it.
I think its sad that anyone is stuck anywhere they don't want to be. Life is so short. May I ask why it went so wrong for you guys?? Whilst I am content in NZ I fully understand why for many NZ is so not for them. 0

Would things be different speaking hypothetically if you did not have the angst of tricky finances or nothing not even a lottery win would have you stay here??

Were your financial projections that you did back in the UK blown out of the water by ought particular? The reasons I ask are that for many (if you were happy to write about your issues) there are lessons to be learnt from what you guys have gone thru..bit like when I lost my life savings to hanover Finance many lessons were learnt there. Anyways I hope you get the assistance you need from the UK consulate. Good luck to you.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:45 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Just being honest
We knew we would never be rich over here, but to be poor and have to pay thru the arse for everything....well
We all sat here looking at iceland frozen food website last night and couldnt believe how cheap things were over there in comparison to here.
Hi t
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:05 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

1. The wages
2. Being able to afford a dentist/doctor
3. being able to afford new clothes
4. having some shops to buy clothes
5. a better education for my kids
6.better roads
7. not being raced down the road by a 15 year old in a wrx that needs no insurance
8.less of a gang culture ( in and out of school/work)
9. being a first class citizen ie 1st maori 2nd kiwi 3rd expat
10. friends and family
11.having the major supermarkets compete with each other not two cartels and thats it.
12. being able to see my wife for more than 5mins in a car park every morning
13. not living in a country with one of the highest domestic violence rates in the world.
14.heating
15. double glasing
16. if i need an ambulance i shouldnt be worrying if i can afford the $85 charge for the call out
17. when i give my 10 year old my 13 year olds home work i dont expect her to say i did this in primary school in wales.
18. free education, whatever option my daughter choses there is a fee.

You dont know the half of it.
LOl well i agree with some of the things you say, and as i see it its just somewhere else to live and I don't want to be here forever , but I also dont want to go back to the UK...but then again we cant afford to

btw My eldest daughter...hates it
I hate some of the people in Wanganui
I hate it too quiet
I hate lack of shops
I hate that i cant buy clothes all the time, and lack of shops
I hate it that you have to travel to Auckland to See a decent band
haven't been to the dentist
I hate the Warehouse

but apart from that its all good

And ps...I want to Live in Napier
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:28 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

well that's given me a good laugh
We too live in Tauranga and my wife is a nurse at he hospital
people should know how low paid the nurses are here ( that's why there is a shortage) I cant find work and i am bored to death. We have not been here long and don't intend to go through all our savings thinking it will all turn out OK in the end. We don't have children here so we are not so stuck.New Zealand is a beautiful place but so expensive. We have set a time limit to review our situation. I do feel sorry for you and do know how you feel. NZ is a bit of a trap for people in the UK its only when you are here you find out the truth.( I had to go to the doctors and it cost $33 just for the visit )
I wish you all the best and if you fancy a beer send me a PM would love to share experiences with you
Good Luck
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdclayton
well that's given me a good laugh
We too live in Tauranga and my wife is a nurse at he hospital
people should know how low paid the nurses are here ( that's why there is a shortage) I cant find work and i am bored to death. We have not been here long and don't intend to go through all our savings thinking it will all turn out OK in the end. We don't have children here so we are not so stuck.New Zealand is a beautiful place but so expensive. We have set a time limit to review our situation. I do feel sorry for you and do know how you feel. NZ is a bit of a trap for people in the UK its only when you are here you find out the truth.( I had to go to the doctors and it cost $33 just for the visit )
I wish you all the best and if you fancy a beer send me a PM would love to share experiences with you
Good Luck
Don't agree with the nurse thing. Kate earns about $65k just now and is not in a management role although a very responsible one. The worst she was on even 5 years ago was around $55k..thats good money and on a par with what a constable earns..where as in the Uk as a constable I earned about 30% more than kate when she was on a high grade, nurses are well paid in NZ.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:41 am
Busy Again

don't know where you are nursing ??
my wife is a Mental Health Nurse working on a Acute Ward
working shifts (Nights tonight) weekend and Bank Holidays
and is paid $44k.
there is no way she could earn that kind of money
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bdclayton
don't know where you are nursing ??
my wife is a Mental Health Nurse working on a Acute Ward
working shifts (Nights tonight) weekend and Bank Holidays
and is paid $44k.
there is no way she could earn that kind of money
Kate has about 20 years experience. Maybe your wife is younger in service?? For $44k how many years does she have in?? Factoring in bank hols niights et al Kate was on a really good whack. She is a general nurse and now in a senior nurse role in palliative care (but not management).
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jillyfar
Oh well I do hope things work out for us, you have been very lucky to be able to move to new Zealand many people can not. What will be so much better in the UK?
Lucky??? It takes alot of hard work and money to move to NZ, luck has nothing to do with it!

I'm not saying i'm unhappy here, but it IS expensive, the wages (over most jobs) are more expensive, people living in NZ work more hours for less pay and it's difficult without family and friends to support you.

Last edited by Rustie; Nov 9th 2009 at 2:42 am.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:28 am
Banned

jillyfar is an unknown quantity at this point

oh well we planned things really well so we are not to worried. Things can not be as expensive as where we live in England now so we do not care if we take a pay cut. What we have worked out we will be better off in New Zealand. Some people go to New Zealand believing in the wrong things we are not doing that.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 10th 2009 at 6:57 am. Reason: Note: Previously banned as a troll.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:54 am
Just Joined

sunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant future

We came to NZ wanting a better work life balance, we knew we were going to be a lot worse off money wise but hoped the lifestyle would compensate for that as all we seemed to do in the UK was work. How wrong were we????? My husband earns 1/3rd less than he did in the UK and works around 15-20 hours per week more! He is kept on at work every shift for around 2-4 hours sometimes upto 7 hours and doesn't get paid for it. I have struggled to find work as i'm not "KIWI". I have applied for several jobs which I know I am more than capable of doing but a kiwi with less experience is more suitable. In a way I cannot blame them for doing this but I really feel as an immigrant we are pushed to one side. My husband has also had the "how dare you come here and take all our jobs" too!
I find myself going shopping and looking for the yellow "special" stickers and my kids very rarely get a treat of some sweets (maybe not too much of a bad thing). There are some things cheaper here in NZ Jet Ski's, boats etc are cheap compared to the UK but we have no chance of ever affording one here on these wages. I think NZ may be a good place to live if you have loads of money to afford the lifestyle but unfortunately we haven't and never will on these wages. I do enjoy some things here but I could never imagine living here for ever...there is something missing I feel. I don't miss my friends or family maybe because I haven't been here that long but there is not enough here to keep me here for ever (even if I had loads of money!).
I do worry about the education, my children are still quite young so I'm hoping it won't cause too much of a problem but they have dropped way way behind what they should be. I am quite worried about when they return to school in the UK as they will be so far behind. I honestly don't know what my 5 year old does at school but I know she will struggle big time when she goes back.
And don't get me started on the drivers

Last edited by sunray; Nov 9th 2009 at 4:56 am. Reason: Spelling.....duh
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:12 am
Busy Again

Originally Posted by sunray
We came to NZ wanting a better work life balance, we knew we were going to be a lot worse off money wise but hoped the lifestyle would compensate for that as all we seemed to do in the UK was work. How wrong were we????? My husband earns 1/3rd less than he did in the UK and works around 15-20 hours per week more! He is kept on at work every shift for around 2-4 hours sometimes upto 7 hours and doesn't get paid for it. I have struggled to find work as i'm not "KIWI". I have applied for several jobs which I know I am more than capable of doing but a kiwi with less experience is more suitable. In a way I cannot blame them for doing this but I really feel as an immigrant we are pushed to one side. My husband has also had the "how dare you come here and take all our jobs" too!
I find myself going shopping and looking for the yellow "special" stickers and my kids very rarely get a treat of some sweets (maybe not too much of a bad thing). There are some things cheaper here in NZ Jet Ski's, boats etc are cheap compared to the UK but we have no chance of ever affording one here on these wages. I think NZ may be a good place to live if you have loads of money to afford the lifestyle but unfortunately we haven't and never will on these wages. I do enjoy some things here but I could never imagine living here for ever...there is something missing I feel. I don't miss my friends or family maybe because I haven't been here that long but there is not enough here to keep me here for ever (even if I had loads of money!).
I do worry about the education, my children are still quite young so I'm hoping it won't cause too much of a problem but they have dropped way way behind what they should be. I am quite worried about when they return to school in the UK as they will be so far behind. I honestly don't know what my 5 year old does at school but I know she will struggle big time when she goes back.
And don't get me started on the drivers
i wish i had written this
well said
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

oh well we planned things really well so we are not to worried.....

Some people go to New Zealand believing in the wrong things we are not doing that.
Oh please, how rude are you? Why bother to contribute to a thread such as this when you can't show one iota of humility to those that have been there, done that and got more than one of the t-shirts.

Do you really think anyone else on this or other similar threads came here without thinking they had it all planned out? You'll be one extremely fortunate person if everything falls into place and goes according to your plan.

Lastly, how is it that people come to New Zealand believing in the wrong things, perhaps they are lied to or are naive to believe all the good stuff and overlook the not so good.

How can you be so sure you have got it right? What if things don't go according to your plan, exchange rates move mid-way between your move / you don't get the job, house or salary you thought you would / you hate your job / got no friends / the cost of living is more than you were expecting / the education or health care system is not as you had imagined / the kids hate it / partner hates it?

You know any one or more of the above can and is very likely happen, but I am sure you know that and have thought about how you will deal with such issues. :rofl

Good luck, you'll need it!!!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

ok Folks,
bear with me if I seem a tad tetchy.
I'd just like you to see it from an old wrinkly's perspective.
We're here at the worst time for the exchange of GBP to NZD!
So we have to rent.

Life's savings- left in UK- But not for too long else CGT hits us???!!
I'm getting $1236.25 pcm pension.
State pension still paid into UK Bank.
OK Hubby gets a tad more in pension but not enough to make us delirious.
We've just had to fork out $4500 for pure basics because Crown did not deliver!
I Kid you not CROWN DID NOT DELIVER and they say "it's NOT THEIR FAULT!!!"
BUT-
Guess what?
I LOVE IT!!!
The folk here have been so fantastic, so kind, so supportive and understanding that it has brought a lump to my throat and a few tears .
The large furniture shop where we bought our dining suite from has asked us to make a list of our needs!
They are LENDING us FREE a lounge suite/ bar stools and coffee table!
The local librarian turned up with cardboard box full of 4 plates/bowls/platters/knives/forks/spoons.
She doesn't know us from Adam.
Yes, people are kind throughout the world but Kiwis show a 'kindness of heart' through their actions.
That is something Money can't buy!

WW,
I'm not belittling your problems and I feel for you and your family just as I feel for my youngest son in Wellington.
but if you can move somewhere where you are able to experience the good in this country, it could work for you.
There are 4 basic models of living.
1] UK model of working to exist.
2] UK model living to work. [and obtain all THE latest!]
3] NZ model working to live. [ enjoying everything this country has to offer FOR FREE!]
4] USA model I want it =I can afford it= I GOT IT!

is there anything you own ie- video game consuls etc- that you really don't need. 2 cars,

We've cut our cars down, we've cut our cloth according to our needs.
It's hard I know but if you really want to stay here, you can and will and it will get better.
But if you really hate it and no amount of cut-backs is going to change your overall attitude to this country and it's people, then best for all that you go. With help from the British Consul you can be repatriated.

I really do wish you all the best.
regards
Jennie
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

oh well we planned things really well so we are not to worried. Things can not be as expensive as where we live in England now so we do not care if we take a pay cut. What we have worked out we will be better off in New Zealand. Some people go to New Zealand believing in the wrong things we are not doing that.
O.k wind your neck in.... you think we didnt plan ahead. you think we didnt do over two years of research including a recce over here. I hope it goes tits up for you... read what people are saying on here and open your mind

Last edited by Am Loolah; Nov 9th 2009 at 5:45 pm. Reason: Please omit personal insults, thanks.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:23 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Eye opening thread

Especially the meeting in the car park bit, that sounds terrible. Very sobering indeed! OH here works shifts and he's so unhappy, so we sort of understand how that can be. It's really sad to read about people who have upped sticks only to find their new life not what they had hoped for, my heart goes out to you and I hope better things are right there waiting for you very soon (whether in NZ or the UK)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.