2 weeks in ChCh!

Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:28 am
Just Joined

jen.andy will become famous soon enough
Default 2 weeks in ChCh!

Hello everyone,

Just approaching 2 weeks since we landed here in Christchurch. Me, my husband and our two kids (2yrs and 1yr). Can report a completely mixed bag of emotions and first impressions. Firstly, the long suffering people here are great, so friendly. Secondly, what a beautiful place this must have been, the parks are still great and amazing for the kids. On the other hand have had quite a bumpy ride since we arrived (literally!) and we are in a small apartment near the cbd so very isolated and bleak around here.
Have to say that sometimes I think yes, I can see us making a go of it here, then the next minute thinking how easy it would be to go home to Leeds. Determined to move into our rented house in July and see how that improves things. If anyone would like to get in touch with a couple in early thirties who do have two young kids but still enjoy adult conversation please get in touch, also, if there are any mums in Chch who would be able to meet up with me and the kids that would be great, thanks, Jen
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks in ChCh!

Originally Posted by jen.andy
Hello everyone,

Just approaching 2 weeks since we landed here in Christchurch. Me, my husband and our two kids (2yrs and 1yr). Can report a completely mixed bag of emotions and first impressions. Firstly, the long suffering people here are great, so friendly. Secondly, what a beautiful place this must have been, the parks are still great and amazing for the kids. On the other hand have had quite a bumpy ride since we arrived (literally!) and we are in a small apartment near the cbd so very isolated and bleak around here.
Have to say that sometimes I think yes, I can see us making a go of it here, then the next minute thinking how easy it would be to go home to Leeds. Determined to move into our rented house in July and see how that improves things. If anyone would like to get in touch with a couple in early thirties who do have two young kids but still enjoy adult conversation please get in touch, also, if there are any mums in Chch who would be able to meet up with me and the kids that would be great, thanks, Jen
Hi
Welcome to Chch, indeed it has been a bumpy 2 weeks for you, must have been a big shock to feel your first earthquake, i know we shit ourselves back in September. Indeed Chch was a beautiful place and in many ways still is, as you say the park areas for kids here are fantastic, have you seen anywhere else other than cental Chch? tons of great places to take the kids, Willowbank, Orana to name two, might be a tad chilly up in orana but kids will love it.

We are out in Rolly with a 6 year old daughter, im sure you will get tons of people saying hi shortly on here.

Alan
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Hello. We live in Christchurch, in Linwood. Where are you ? My husband and I are British and in our early forties with no kids. We arrived in Christchurch from Britain in early March. It would be good to meet.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Hi Debbie. We are currently near the cbd on Durham Street North (just off Bealy Ave). We are moving to Saint Albans in July. We would love to meet up but as we don't know anyone here at all it would have to be with the kids in tow! You are more than welcome to come round for a drink (if you drink?) as the kids go to bed at 7 and we become Jen and Andy again (as opposed to Muuuummm or Daaaad!). Thanks for your reply. Jen
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alanmacc
Hi
Welcome to Chch, indeed it has been a bumpy 2 weeks for you, must have been a big shock to feel your first earthquake, i know we shit ourselves back in September. Indeed Chch was a beautiful place and in many ways still is, as you say the park areas for kids here are fantastic, have you seen anywhere else other than cental Chch? tons of great places to take the kids, Willowbank, Orana to name two, might be a tad chilly up in orana but kids will love it.

We are out in Rolly with a 6 year old daughter, im sure you will get tons of people saying hi shortly on here.

Alan
Hi Alan, thanks so much for your reply. No we haven't ventured very far yet, we have made a brief stop at Pines Beach and Sumner but it was blowing a gale and freezing! I have been making good use of the local parks which the kids love. Thanks for your recommendations we will def have a look at them after all a large part of the reason we came was to get out and see the world. On a completely different sbject, where do you food shop? We are currently missing an arm and a leg after our weekly big shop! Jen
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen.andy
Hi Alan, thanks so much for your reply. No we haven't ventured very far yet, we have made a brief stop at Pines Beach and Sumner but it was blowing a gale and freezing! I have been making good use of the local parks which the kids love. Thanks for your recommendations we will def have a look at them after all a large part of the reason we came was to get out and see the world. On a completely different sbject, where do you food shop? We are currently missing an arm and a leg after our weekly big shop! Jen
probably best place to go to is pack and save on moorhouse ave, try to avoid countdown, it does seem shocking at first with the costs but you soon know what to look for, any questions please give me a shout
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:31 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jen
Welcome to Chch! Hope you're settling in ok and good luck with your move.
As to shopping, well food is expensive here. Pak nSave is the cheapest place to shop in though you'll still find it expensive if you're thinking in £. The closest to you would be Riccarton Westfield or Moorhouse Ave opposite the old railway station.
It's such a shame you're so close to the CBD yet all you can really see is the ruins through the cordon fence
Maybe we could all organise a meetup sometime?
P
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:36 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
probably best place to go to is pack and save on moorhouse ave, try to avoid countdown, it does seem shocking at first with the costs but you soon know what to look for, any questions please give me a shout
Great minds think alike. I would add that New World is also more expensive though there aren't many of those near Bealey Ave. We went into NW Fendalton [poshest of the posh!] the other day after months of shopping at PnS- it was like entering a parallel universe. Calm, peaceful, lots of space and everyone was wearing shoes! I felt like an extra from the Stepford Wives!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:04 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jen and welcome.

What a strange couple of weeks and welcome to NZ it must be for you. You still manage to sound pretty upbeat so, as you say, maybe when you're in your own rental and further out from the CBD, things will start to feel more settled.

Might be an idea to have a quick look in the meet-ups section and maybe start a new thread there for a ChCh one. You'd probably find quite a few might fancy a few wines and time to relax.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
Hi Jen
Welcome to Chch! Hope you're settling in ok and good luck with your move.
As to shopping, well food is expensive here. Pak nSave is the cheapest place to shop in though you'll still find it expensive if you're thinking in £. The closest to you would be Riccarton Westfield or Moorhouse Ave opposite the old railway station.
It's such a shame you're so close to the CBD yet all you can really see is the ruins through the cordon fence
Maybe we could all organise a meetup sometime?
P
Hi P

Would love to meet up! Where are you?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Glad you're starting to settle in. My husband and I are leaving for Wanganui which is on the North Island in a couple of weeks as he's accepted a job offer there. How did you and your children cope on Monday after the two big earthquakes ? BTW what did you do for work in UK ? Will you be in a similar line of work in NZ ?

Last edited by Debbie2NZ; Jun 18th 2011 at 8:53 am. Reason: Not everyone knows where Wanganui is !
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Glad you're starting to settle in. My husband and I are leaving for Wanganui which is on the North Island in a couple of weeks as he's accepted a job offer there. How did you and your children cope on Monday after the two big earthquakes ? BTW what did you do for work in UK ? Will you be in a similar line of work in NZ ?
Hi Debbie

Good luck in your move. We were in the park for the quakes so it wasn't as bad as if we were in the apartment (the apartment was in a mess when we got home). Amelie didn't notice and Adam thought it was strong wind! Andy is a quantity surveyer and i worked for the radiation protection division of the health protection agency back in Leeds. I am not working at the mo, Andy is working with the earthquake contractors. Let me know if you want to come round for a chat/drink before you leave!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:52 am
Just Joined

geordielasstoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to the rest of the newbies in Christchurch. I've been here since 31st March and have 2 kids (9 & 13) & husband also working as a QS. I'm bored at home with the kids at school and not working yet so I'm desperate to meet new friends. Give me a shout if you fancy a meet up to swap the up's and down's we all feel when we first get here and tips on our 'new life'.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geordielasstoo
Hi to the rest of the newbies in Christchurch. I've been here since 31st March and have 2 kids (9 & 13) & husband also working as a QS. I'm bored at home with the kids at school and not working yet so I'm desperate to meet new friends. Give me a shout if you fancy a meet up to swap the up's and down's we all feel when we first get here and tips on our 'new life'.
Hello! I would be up for metting up. Definately miss chatting to someone other than hubby!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations Debbie hope the move goes ok!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.