Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

17 Months have gone so fast

17 Months have gone so fast

Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Kelly33 is on a distinguished road
Default 17 Months have gone so fast

Hi everyone. Have just been reading all the other posts and it suddenly dawned on me that I haven't posted on here in nearly a year.

Just wanted to post a quick update. My hubby, daughter and I moved to New Zealand 17 months ago from the UK. How the time has flown.
When we first moved here I found it very difficult to settle down and get on with life. The hubby started work 2 weeks after touching down and my daughter started school after 3 weeks. So that left me in a down town apartment all on my own not knowing a soul. It was horrible. It didn't help that the mother in law was making me feel rotten because I had taken her grand-daughter 12000 miles away. Or the fact that my daughter hated the school she was in.

At that stage I was on the verge of packing up and going back to the UK. However, I am glad to say that I held in there. Four months later we found a house in a nice suburb out west. I enrolled my daughter in a school which she loves and I was able to make some really good friends. Some of whom I met on this site.

The next step now is learning to drive. Quite a daunting prospect seeing as I am 34 but needs must. Then it's the dreaded job hunt. Have been trying to put it off as long as possible but I really need to find a job as hubby is nagging Only problem is I have no idea where to start.

Anyway, that's my story so far. We have absolutely no intention of ever going back to the UK as we love it here. Only another 3 and a half years until we can apply for citizenship WooHoo!!!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: 17 Months have gone so fast

So glad you held in there.

This place can be amazing for meeting people. People who become important to you.

Have fun and embrace NZ, its wonderful.

I got to do job hunt soon, but looking for house first. Hopefully with great neighbours.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Kelly Glad you are now settled, I'm sure a job will turn up in the near future and good luck with the driving! Flora
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

melanieanne63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kelly
can I ask how much and good driving lessons are in nz, I dontvdrive myself and was contemplating doin it before coming over, however if it is cheaper and better there then I may wait.......
Melanie
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Hi again stranger!
so glad its all working out for you. you have changed so much and really settled compared with the first time i met you. (those first coffee meets with people from here were life savers!)
good luck with the driving and job hunting. keep us all informed!

Jax
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Hi Melanie

I have just paid $260 for 5 lessons for my daughter. A single lesson costs $55. As in most things, prices vary from place to place.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by melanieanne63
Hi Kelly
can I ask how much and good driving lessons are in nz, I dontvdrive myself and was contemplating doin it before coming over, however if it is cheaper and better there then I may wait.......
Melanie
Hi Melanie. Driving lessons are around the $50-$60 an hour mark. That's the easy bit though. There are three stages to getting your full licence here. Learner, restricted and full.

Learner = theory test $93.90 before you get licence must hold for 6 months

Restricted = $108.10 Theory and practical test must hold for between 3 and 18 months depending on age and any courses taken

Full = $136.20 Theory and practical
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MattandJax
Hi again stranger!
so glad its all working out for you. you have changed so much and really settled compared with the first time i met you. (those first coffee meets with people from here were life savers!)
good luck with the driving and job hunting. keep us all informed!

Jax
Thanks Jax. I know what you mean about the first meetings. This site was a lifesaver otherwise I would have been winging my way back to blighty

I hope you and Matt are finding things much better now you have your own place. We must meet up for a coffee soon it's been too long.

Take care, speak soon xx