1 week update (WP)

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:51 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1 week update (WP)

Hmm not sure what I what I've already written on this forum... losing track of emails, facebook and skype!

We arrived during the 'storm' period at Wellington airport and the landing was horrendous. Well the first attempt was horrendous, the second was forgivable bearing in mind the fact that the pilot got the wheels down Since then I've discovered that earlier flights had been diverted and I believe we were one of the first planes in. Ignorance truly is bliss sometimes.

The journey seemed easier this time somehow, though the bags were a pain to drag around at maximum weight and I had an attack of sciatica just before we set off. Oops nearly in whinging mode there.

So we're happily landed in Plimmerton, we've found a car, though it's not purchased yet as we haven't managed to complete our money transfer over here. Our relative has lent us a car in the meantime which was very kind. It's only overheated once so far...

I got my long awaited meat pie and flat white in Mr Bun and we've met up with Mark and Ashlea for a chat

We love the place we're staying at the moment, but we have started to look at some rentals. Can't really finalise anything though as our shipped stuff doesn't arrive for another five or six weeks.

We've met and chatted to a few kiwis. They haven't bitten us yet though obviously with all the warnings we are approaching them armed and in protective clothing. (The residents that is not the birds) In fact they've pretty much all been exceptionally friendly and prepared to chat if you break the ice first.

I did nearly have a hissy fit at the price of the beer in one of the Wellington waterfront bars, but it's a good job I didn't because I'd simply forgotten to divide the cost by two after buying more than one...

So what else? Been for a walk in the countryside, been rained on and blown at and had nothing but apologies for the weather. (It's been much better than Manchester weather so far, there's been some sun every day)

Love driving around the hills, all the hills! wonderful. There's nowhere in the UK like this in terms of exciting roads and I include the lake district. Some of the houses we've looked at on stilts have scared me to death, but most places are looking less and less shed-like all the time.

Haven't seen many sheep yet and no rugby whatsoever.

So, unlike my first emigration to the US, I have a good feeling at the moment, the shops are different, but not that different, some things are expensive (particularily alcohol bought out - but I don't drink that much anyway), but for most things I haven't noticed a massive difference to Manchester.

Anyway, before I get too gushing I am aware I'm still firmly in the honeymoon period, the reality of work and budgeting is not an issue yet. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm unemployed. Wish I could get worked up enough about it to start looking for a job... Is it really that irresponsible to want to spend a few months learning to surf and living as a kept man?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice
Default Re: 1 week update (WP)

Glad you got there safely, Good luck and hope all goes well, (so glad I wernt in that plane) sue
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to New Zealand!
Glad you are settling in well.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:06 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck WP.......enjoy! Glad you've arrived safe & sound, landing at Wellington airport on a windy day is certainly an experience never to be forgotten! Hope your future in NZ is a smooth journey from now on
B x
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

ooooooh! Didn't realise you were here! Welcome Pimmerton is so nice all will work out fine. And heck, isn't that what honeymoon periods are for, to soak up all that is good?

And yes to it being ok and not working for a while, if only I could follow your example very best of luck and look forward to the updates.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:24 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers everyone.

Not much to add, except that we now have a car which is good because my feet are getting sore...
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are both settling in well & enjoying life.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:50 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad all going well WP, good luck with the Rental hunt. If you fancy a short drive up the Kapiti coast one day in your new car we are usually up for coffee or something. Have small kids so day time suits better, social night life very none existent

Dewb