We've Finally Made the Move!

Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default We've Finally Made the Move!

Well here we are in Malaysia at last. Currently residing in Garden Court in Leisure Farm whilst awaiting the completion of the house in East Ledang (current estimates are July, September, the end of the year - don't you just love developers?!)

So far - we love Leisure Farm - but we're glad we decided on East Ledang for our permanent move as we do find the extra travelling time from Leisure Farm a bit of a pain. I'm also not keen on driving down the country roads on my own at night (which was one of the reasons for not buying in LF - but that's not just a Malaysia issue - I wouldn't particularly like doing that anywhere).

Finding the Malaysian people generally friendly and welcoming. Helpful in shops etc. But need to get used to the laid-back attitude here as nothing happens quickly!! (Still waiting for our TV and internet to be installed - 10 days later...). Upside is there's free wi-fi at the pool side but you have to brave the heat and/or the mozzies for that (the mozzies seem to be particularly vicious here!)

I've been dropping hubby off at Jurong East every morning to catch his shuttle bus to Changi and that's been taking around 40-50 minutes. Usually takes longer on the way back as the Tuas side of Customs is a pain (one morning they only had 2 desks open!)

Feel sorry for the motorcyclists though - I've never seen so many motorbikes in one place! It must take them a while to clear through Customs.

Driving is ok - slightly off-putting at night when you come through Customs then the road toll. You kind of feel like you're the odd one out in a motorbike rally but it's ok.

Enjoying it all so far - but off to Scotland for a few weeks on Monday so will have to explore more when we get back.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've Finally Made the Move!

Originally Posted by Bocat
particularly vicious here!)

I've been dropping hubby off at Jurong East every morning to catch his shuttle bus to Changi and that's been taking around 40-50 minutes. .
Wow!

How long does it take his shuttle bus to Changi.
MRT must take near enough 45 mins.

More motor cycles at the Causeway.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 9:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bocat!!! A very warm to Malaysia. Look forward to hearing lots of tales from down South.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Wow!

How long does it take his shuttle bus to Changi.
MRT must take near enough 45 mins.

More motor cycles at the Causeway.
Super ace. Good luck and keep us all updated. Really interesting to read your experiences, might be following you.
Have fun back home.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Adnams and bakedbean! Adnams are you any further forward with your plans?

Ex reg - his bus is taking around 35 minutes. It's a shuttle bus run by his company so there are no stops - it just goes straight there.

We leave around 7am and he's getting to work around 8.30am.

Yesterday hubby was working at home but I had to be in Sing for a 10am appointment. I set a new record yesterday as I left the gates of LF at 8.54am - turned left out of LF (which is a quicker way to the border but there are no lights so I wouldn't use this way at night).

I made it onto the Singapore side (through customs) by 9.12am!! 18 minutes - I was quite impressed lol!

Generally in the morning it takes us around 30 minutes.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 4:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

18 minutes...that's terrific Looking forward to some new threads about the area... that would be good.

Also reminds me I should start off a few new Penang threads Been a bit slack lately. I'll do a few later I think.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

EastLedangScot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bocat,
My wife and I live in East Ledang. I am originally from the UK but been out here for 6 years now. Having a great time driving in at the moment on School holidays. Only took us 35 minutes to get from EL to RAffles place this morning.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi EastLedangScot

Yes I did think things are probably a bit quieter just now but the local Singaporean schools have just gone back so it might get a bit busier again.

From your name are you a fellow Scot? I'm back in Scotland with the kids at the moment.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:54 am

Hi EastLedangScot

From your name are you a fellow Scot?
Sounds like a no brainer to me, Bocat.

Purely out of interest, do you find any retirees in East Ledang and surrounding area? I can see the attraction if you are working in Singapore with its close proximity. Just wondered about retirees. Is there actually anything to do there?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

I haven't seen many retirees so far bakedbean and so far I haven't found much to do in the area - apart from the local shopping centre which I'm already bored of and the cinema!

Maybe some of our long term Johor dwellers could help us out with what there is to do in the area.

The kids will still have around 4 weeks holiday by the time we get back til the time they start at Marlborough so we'll do some more exploring then.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

I haven't seen many retirees so far bakedbean and so far I haven't found much to do in the area - apart from the local shopping centre which I'm already bored of and the cinema!

Maybe some of our long term Johor dwellers could help us out with what there is to do in the area.

The kids will still have around 4 weeks holiday by the time we get back til the time they start at Marlborough so we'll do some more exploring then.
Hi Bocat, hope you have a great time at home. It's the marlborough school any good? What the fees like? Same as £?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Harlow Lad - thanks - having a lovely time so far even if the weather is typically rubbish!

Can't really comment on the school yet as it hasn't opened yet but from what I can see it looks good. As far as I know the fees are about the same as International Schools in Singapore. You can see the up to date fees here:

http://www.marlboroughcollegemalaysi...missions/fees/

Let's just say I'll be doing some serious job hunting when I get back!!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Blimey! Still cost an arm & a leg.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Its not a lot going on in Nasujaya. Apart from its usual shopping centre and more shopping really.

We love to travel to Pulau Tioman or near by. Any loving beach would you recommend? Without accuring long driving malarkey.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

evop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really nice

Originally Posted by bakedbean
18 minutes...that's terrific Looking forward to some new threads about the area... that would be good.

Also reminds me I should start off a few new Penang threads Been a bit slack lately. I'll do a few later I think.

I like the new Johor focus, it is about time :-) A nice change form so much Penang :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.