We've Finally Made the Move!

Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've Finally Made the Move!

Yes I agree with you wholeheartedly. You know that I love Penang, but it would be nice if there was a lot more info about Johor and other parts of Malaysia around the forums and the internet. I'm sure a lot of folks move to Penang island because that's the most info they find on the internet.

For me, I did look at Langkawi, Kuching, KL before and decided they were not for me, though Langkawi and Kuching good for holidays. I never looked at Johor - I think I was brainwashed by the propaganda when I lived in Singapore to be honest. I do intend to explore Johor one of these days, hopefully next year
Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I've been in Johor for most of the time during my 3 months here. To be honest, it's grown on me.

There isn't much to do here other than shopping and popping over the border, but it is quite relaxed and not as busy as KL or Selangor.

A nice attraction are the nice developments for houses and apartments going on, at relatively good prices. Haven't had any bad experiences here at all.

Regards
Abu
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's great Abu. We need a new Johor thread uh?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember if links are allowed on this forum so if not then apologies and please delete.
http://business.asiaone.com/Business...09-358072.html

I found this on a motoring forum I read.
I didn't post the link to that forum because many of the comments on this article are disparaging about JB, as they usually are on that forum, security, crime car jacking related etc but they do give a bit of balance if you care to google to find the forum.

Personally when I lived in JB, crikey over 20 years ago now, I really liked it and had no problems at all.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ex reg
I can't remember if links are allowed on this forum so if not then apologies and please delete.
http://business.asiaone.com/Business...09-358072.html

I found this on a motoring forum I read.
I didn't post the link to that forum because many of the comments on this article are disparaging about JB, as they usually are on that forum, security, crime car jacking related etc but they do give a bit of balance if you care to google to find the forum.

Personally when I lived in JB, crikey over 20 years ago now, I really liked it and had no problems at all.
Very assurance article. I think people just fed up of living in shoes box. And the property price seem to be going up and up in Singapore.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Peep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bocat
Hi EastLedangScot

Yes I did think things are probably a bit quieter just now but the local Singaporean schools have just gone back so it might get a bit busier again.

From your name are you a fellow Scot? I'm back in Scotland with the kids at the moment.
Hi Bocat & EastLedangScot

I'm another ex-Scot just arrived here in Malaysia, although we're on a rtw trip but considering making Malaysia our home now.

Rented a car and love the driving...only rule is the biggest vehicle wins! I've got my beloved Vespa back home and considered getting one here, until i started driving here and now I'm having second thoughts!!

We're based in KL but have plans to explore the rest of the country. Is Sing worth visiting if we've already been to Beijing and HK and lived in London?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:14 am

I think Sing is worth a visit. Much more expensive than Malaysia of course, but it's got its own identity and plenty to do and see there. I doubt you'll be able to take your hire car there but you don't really need a car in Singapore. Public transport very good.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:28 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bocat
I haven't seen many retirees so far bakedbean and so far I haven't found much to do in the area - apart from the local shopping centre which I'm already bored of and the cinema!

Maybe some of our long term Johor dwellers could help us out with what there is to do in the area.

The kids will still have around 4 weeks holiday by the time we get back til the time they start at Marlborough so we'll do some more exploring then.
Just to let you know my colleague is the new drama teacher at Marlborough and she's amazing. Your children will love Drama with her!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Great! I think I have two drama queens in the making!!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Peep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I think Sing is worth a visit. Much more expensive than Malaysia of course, but it's got its own identity and plenty to do and see there. I doubt you'll be able to take your hire car there but you don't really need a car in Singapore. Public transport very good.
Makes a difference from KL then! I think we will take a looksee since we're heading to Sabah etc anyway.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely think Singapore is worth a look too. I haven't been to Beijing or HK but although I'm not a city fan I love Singapore. It's just very different to any other big city I've been to.

Unless shopping malls are your thing - avoid Orchard Road and explore the other sights.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:44 pm

Yup pick up some leaflets at Changi on what to see, to do, as you whizz through. Enjoy the efficiency. Always amazes me as I approach the bag belt, suitcases always there
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yup pick up some leaflets at Changi on what to see, to do, as you whizz through. Enjoy the efficiency. Always amazes me as I approach the bag belt, suitcases always there
You must be slow getting through immigration then because we always have to wait, not long I'll grant you.
And I usually dive into the Duty Free after immigration to get a bottle or two and the cheap Tiger beer.