Unifi Access Leisure Farm

Old Aug 30th 2016, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unifi Access Leisure Farm

Packs available now are 100 (download) / 50 (upload), basic TV, 600 free telephone minutes etc for MYR 299 per month.

50/20, as above, MYR 249 month or 30/10, as above, 199 per month.

We signed up last year for a 20/20 pack that was MYR 265/month, so prices are dropping.

So, I've been using it for a few days now and here's an honest "appraisal" for those who want to decide whether to pop the extra cash or not.

We don't notice much difference surfing (if you connect to a slow site,it will still be slow!) although a couple of sites feel snappier.

We don't notice any difference streaming movies in HD..... no lags so far but we didn't have that problem with 20.

I do notice a difference when the kids are online doing homework, my wife might be watching Netflix and I am surfing..... things stay "fast" whereas before with so many online at the same time things would seem to slow down.

Where we really notice a very big difference is downloading stuff (apps, music etc) and uploading to cloud services.

The connection is fairly solid (this result just taken Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results ) although it dropped to half that on Sunday afternoon for some reason!

Conclusion: If you're in a household with not many users and don't do that much down / uploading, I honestly think you'd do well to save MYR 100 per month and go with the 30/10 package.

If you're in a household with plenty of devices, lots of up/downloading going on, the 100 is worth it.

I'm just glad to see Telekom Malaysia making the effort to get up to speed. Thanks, TM!

Last edited by geedee; Aug 30th 2016 at 8:57 am.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Conclusion: If you're in a household with not many users and don't do that much down / uploading, I honestly think you'd do well to save MYR 100 per month and go with the 30/10 package.

If you're in a household with plenty of devices, lots of up/downloading going on, the 100 is worth it.
I agree with your conclusion. Streaming video (and uploading gigabytes of data) consumes bandwidth. Only if you have multiple users in your household doing this at the same time does it make sense to have more than 30 Mbit/s download bandwidth available.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
I luv popping in to these threads.
In Singapore I use the FREE 1 Mbps internet service.
It gives me everything I could possibly want.
I watch BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, youtube, Live sports on many different internet channels and live TV all WITHOUT any buffering. Smooth as smooth could be.
I can't give you my ookla as I'm in UK at the moment but there must be a few of my ookla speed test results somewhere in other threads.

Only problem is whenever I return to Singapore it takes quite a while to update windows, firefox etc etc etc, but when that's done I'm fine for everything.

So yah boo sucks.

Oh and I use a wifi connection which for my desktop travels through 3 solid pc concrete internal walls and I can use my desktop. laptop and internet on the tv watching films and BBC etc all at the same time without any buffering.
Dunno why this is, it just is.
Yeah me and my big mouth

Returned to Singapore a week or so ago to find that the FREE 1 Mbps connection has now been terminated.

Fibre Broad band would take 2 weeks to install so went with the 100Mbps cable connection for S$29.9 per month which costs the same as the 300Mbps Fibre connection.

This is my speed test result:

For surfing, watching live sport of other live stuff I don't notice any difference between this 100 Mbps connection and my free 1 Mbps connection except when it came to updating my windows etc etc.

The other thing is the 1 Mbps connection was able to pass through 3 concrete walls with absolutely no drop off while my100Mbps connection drops down to around 20 Mbps so I've bought amnd am using those Home Plug thingies which work a treat.

And finally and the main reason for this post is I can't now play BBC iPlayer.
It asks me for my UK postcode so I suppose it will check if I've got a UK TV license. I know this requirement was due to come in next year so am surprised it's here so soon.

Do you lot find the same problem and can you use a VPN to overcome it because I've tried Hola and Cyberghost and they won't work for me. I've been told that the BBC have now employed something which prevents VPN being used to watch iPlayer.

Last edited by ex reg; Oct 11th 2016 at 12:28 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

"And finally and the main reason for this post is I can't now play BBC iPlayer.
It asks me for my UK postcode so I suppose it will check if I've got a UK TV license. I know this requirement was due to come in next year so am surprised it's here so soon."

No guarantee but can I say 'find' a genuine UK postcode and insert it and see what happens??? As far as I remember it does not ask you for a house number.
Ch4OD, Ch5 and ITV also ask for Post codes at times. Of course I did not say this

If that does not work back to the drawing board and if you PM me I may have a work around which is still working for me. Next week???????? ahh well we shall have to see what the beeb come up with next.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a property in UK so I have a postcode but I cancelled my TV license 2 weeks ago thinking that I'd still be able to view BBC iPlayer here the same as I always did.

I'll insert the postcode tomorrow as I'm a bit busy here at the moment.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a property in UK so I have a postcode but I cancelled my TV license 2 weeks ago thinking that I'd still be able to view BBC iPlayer here the same as I always did.

I'll insert the postcode tomorrow as I'm a bit busy here at the moment.
Did it work???
Old Oct 26th 2016, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by geedee
Did it work???
Still haven't tried it and off to Australia for a month next week.
I'll post the outcome eventually.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

I just 're did' a connection on a different computer.
BBC asks 'Do you have a TV License' clicked yes............ran perfectly
ITV and CH5 ask for a post code only.....gave them one......both ran perfectly
Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Whilst wandering around one of the many Home Fairs the other weekend I happened upon a chap selling OTT Android TV boxes..........
Being a sucker for something cool I bought one and spend umpteen hours cleaning out all the rubbish he put in which were mainly Chinese TV stations. Then researched the Wonder Web and....................
Found some good apps and happily now watch Sky sports 1 to 5, Gold, Sky Movies and you name it....etc etc etc all streaming.
Thousands of movies................all of which play no problem
An interesting solution to live TV from around the world. No recording method so far that I have discovered using a timer but I enjoyed the First Test from Chittagong which dear Astro at 30RM per month did not show at all.

If you are not running a fast internet line .............forget it. They claim 2MBPS will work, I doubt it .............Could be wrong but I doubt it, 8MBPS works pretty well.
Legal? I don't know but there are thousands of the things for sale on numerous Web Platform selling sites ( try the most famous two) here in Malaysia and they are being openly sold at Home Fairs
Ahh yes and no need a VPN, he was running it though his mobile phone.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Great info, thanks
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PoolieAbroad
I just 're did' a connection on a different computer.
BBC asks 'Do you have a TV License' clicked yes............ran perfectly
ITV and CH5 ask for a post code only.....gave them one......both ran perfectly
When I tried this recently and clicked yes for do you have a license the BBC then asked for a post code and then street number.

Is that the case now with you?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

When I tried this recently and clicked yes for do you have a license the BBC then asked for a post code and then street number.

Is that the case now with you?
The past few times it asked just about the license but not the post code.
I can't remember if I ever gave it a house number as some years before we did have a house and a post code and I may well have done it then.