Things to Do Around Nusajaya

Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things to Do Around Nusajaya

DESARU

Hi folks

As many of you know we've recently made the move to Nusajaya (well Gelang Patah at the moment but Nusajaya soon).

Bakedbean suggested starting a thread about things to do in the area which is a great idea.

If anyone visits anywhere of interest (be it a restaurant, tourist site, good shop - anything at all...) please post here and share with us all!

We had a lovely drive up to Desaru today. We spent the day at the Lotus Desaru Hotel. I had heard about this place a couple of years ago when someone told us it was very run down so I was quite pleasantly surprised today (either that or I'm just easily pleased!)

We weren't staying there - just spending the day - so I can't comment on what the rooms are like but the kids really enjoyed themselves today. We had lunch when we arrived RM70 for the four of us for a buffet lunch. It wasn't fantastic but it was edible. It was very busy though - a bit like feeding time at the zoo!

The beach is not exactly 5 star but in my opinion it was much nicer than Sentosa (I'm not a fan of oily looking water and views of oil tankers).

The pool was nice and we paid to go into the water park which isn't big but the kids loved it there too.

I couldn't help thinking the whole place reminded me of the holiday camp in the film Dirty Dancing - it really did look like a 1960s relic - but in a good way!

We might venture out to the new cinema at Jusco at Bukit Indah tomorrow...
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to Do Around Nusajaya

20 22 years ago I worked and lived in Desaru.
Working on a US4 billion resort deveolpment.
Lasted about 12 months and then the greedy Japanese contractor messed it allup.

I lived in a chalet right on the beach.
We did it up really nicely.
About 10 years ago I had another look at the chal;et. It was run down all the fixtures and fittings had been removed and it was a tip.
It's the Malaysian way.
The Lotus was run down until a few years ago when a Singaporean Indian bought it and started to do it up.
We've stayed there a few times. It's OK but the rooms are really 3 star at the most.
Many of the rooms are owned by Singaporeans and Malaysians who use them at weekends.
We were down there in March for the day and if you drive oast the Lotus right to the end of the road the golf course there is under redevelopment I think by Kerjora the local development arm of the government.

There are 4 or 5 hotels still operating at Desaru.
None of them above 3 star, imo.
There's a nice drive to Telok Sengat where there used to be a smashing seafood restaurant, now it's a bit ... bleur.
You can drive on down to Sungei Rengitt but the restaurants there are a real take on.
Kota Tinggi used to be really nice but again down marketeded.
There are a few other places in the area and the new road and bridge have allowed better. faster accsess.

Of course many many golf course in the area between Nusa Jaya and Desaru.

Just out of interest what is the big steel structure being erected close to Nusa Jaya, you can see it from the main road from Tuas?
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive up to Malacca in maybe an hour's longer than it takes to Desaru.

Batu Pahat and Muar are typical small town Malaysia as is Kluang.
Yong Peng has a few pottery shops which also sell basketware and other stuff.

Kukup used to be great for seafood but again imore run down than it used to be.
Further afield you have Mersing, Kuantanetc and the coast road up from Kota Tingi although windy and a road you have to drive along carefully is well worth the effort.

I guess you know about that island to the south of you.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info ex reg.

I'm not sure if it's what you're talking about - the the steel structure I think you mean is a new stadium for the Educity area - not sure if it's going to be shared by the various universities opening there.

As for that island to the south of us - it's amazing how after only two weeks over here I already feel claustrophobic in Singapore!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Haha enjoy both countries. You've got the best of both worlds.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bocat
Thanks for all the info ex reg.

I'm not sure if it's what you're talking about - the the steel structure I think you mean is a new stadium for the Educity area - not sure if it's going to be shared by the various universities opening there.

As for that island to the south of us - it's amazing how after only two weeks over here I already feel claustrophobic in Singapore!
That's why we've always tried to get away when we can.

I'd rather live in Singapore but love Malaysia, especially the people.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

DESARU

Hi folks

As many of you know we've recently made the move to Nusajaya (well Gelang Patah at the moment but Nusajaya soon).

Bakedbean suggested starting a thread about things to do in the area which is a great idea.

If anyone visits anywhere of interest (be it a restaurant, tourist site, good shop - anything at all...) please post here and share with us all!

We had a lovely drive up to Desaru today. We spent the day at the Lotus Desaru Hotel. I had heard about this place a couple of years ago when someone told us it was very run down so I was quite pleasantly surprised today (either that or I'm just easily pleased!)

We weren't staying there - just spending the day - so I can't comment on what the rooms are like but the kids really enjoyed themselves today. We had lunch when we arrived RM70 for the four of us for a buffet lunch. It wasn't fantastic but it was edible. It was very busy though - a bit like feeding time at the zoo!

The beach is not exactly 5 star but in my opinion it was much nicer than Sentosa (I'm not a fan of oily looking water and views of oil tankers).

The pool was nice and we paid to go into the water park which isn't big but the kids loved it there too.

I couldn't help thinking the whole place reminded me of the holiday camp in the film Dirty Dancing - it really did look like a 1960s relic - but in a good way!

We might venture out to the new cinema at Jusco at Bukit Indah tomorrow...
Hi Bobcat,
I cant comment on things to do yet as we are STILL several thousand miles away but I wondered what you had found locally to do with the children?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex reg
You can drive up to Malacca in maybe an hour's longer than it takes to Desaru.

Batu Pahat and Muar are typical small town Malaysia as is Kluang.
Yong Peng has a few pottery shops which also sell basketware and other stuff.

Kukup used to be great for seafood but again imore run down than it used to be.
Further afield you have Mersing, Kuantanetc and the coast road up from Kota Tingi although windy and a road you have to drive along carefully is well worth the effort.

I guess you know about that island to the south of you.
I may have said Yong Peng but I meant Air Hitam.

Massive typo.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL ex reg!

Adnams - hmm - nothing!!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Hows the commute like in the morning to work and back home in the evening? We might try to find a hotel near nasujaya. Anyone know any hotel near nasujaya we can stay for a couple of day for test run?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Harlow Lad

I don't know of any hotels near Nusajaya. Here's a copy of an e-mail I sent someone who asked the same thing about the commute:

At the moment I'm taking him (hubby) to Jurong East in the morning which takes around 40-45 minutes if we leave by 7am. Going through Customs has been no problem and the roads are pretty quiet at that time (I've heard it picks up a bit after 7.30am but still not as bad as you'd think).

He then picks up an SCB shuttle bus at Jurong East which takes around 35 mins to get to Changi.

Bear in mind the above times are from Leisure Farm so it'll be a bit shorter from Ledang Heights/East Ledang.

It usually takes me longer to get back so I'm not too impressed with a 1hr40m - 2hr round trip every morning!!

He hasn't attempted making his own way back yet but our helper did it last night and it wasn't too bad.

He's taken the car a couple of times and it's taken him 56 mins from here to Changi. The longest so far was 1hr 20 mins on the way back one night.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Hi Harlow Lad

I don't know of any hotels near Nusajaya. Here's a copy of an e-mail I sent someone who asked the same thing about the commute:

At the moment I'm taking him (hubby) to Jurong East in the morning which takes around 40-45 minutes if we leave by 7am. Going through Customs has been no problem and the roads are pretty quiet at that time (I've heard it picks up a bit after 7.30am but still not as bad as you'd think).

He then picks up an SCB shuttle bus at Jurong East which takes around 35 mins to get to Changi.

Bear in mind the above times are from Leisure Farm so it'll be a bit shorter from Ledang Heights/East Ledang.

It usually takes me longer to get back so I'm not too impressed with a 1hr40m - 2hr round trip every morning!!

He hasn't attempted making his own way back yet but our helper did it last night and it wasn't too bad.

He's taken the car a couple of times and it's taken him 56 mins from here to Changi. The longest so far was 1hr 20 mins on the way back one night.
Sound great. Leisure farm is perfect for us. Drop my wife off in Tuas then the kids & me self in IBP, Jurong East.

Helper? You mean maid? Thats a problem we don't know how this gonna work on the Malaysia side. Did you take your Singapore maid to Malaysia?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:11 am
Just Joined

gregoryhi is an unknown quantity at this point

i was wondering, why Horizon Hills was not a better consideration, as
it is nearer to Jusco, Tesco, Giant and Cinema.
have better roads and securities.
better quality of restaurants
Far away from Industrial of Gelang Pateh
and much lower maintaince fee
and direct CW bus to Jurong Point and Jurong East.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi gregoryhi - for me personally I liked the open plan feel of the development at East Ledang (and LF). The new houses we looked at at HH all had walls around them - which may suit some people - but I want it to be easy for my kids to go out and play - and hopefully meet other kids while they're out there.

Also we decided on EL due to it's proximity to the Second Link too. I know HH and LF aren't that much further - but EL is just so close that that was part of the decision for us.

Harlow Lad - just thinking - while there are no hotels at Nusajaya that I know of - you can rent places in LF for the weekend (or longer if you want). Where we're staying at the moment - in Garden Court - is used for short term rentals.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:08 am
Just Joined

gregoryhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Harlow lad, you can stay at Bukit Indah Pariss Hotel beside Giant. there is CW bus station around there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.