Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Sorry...reposting in Nusajaya sub forum...

Sorry...reposting in Nusajaya sub forum...

Old May 29th 2016, 9:01 am
Just Joined

LuzantCalifornia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry...reposting in Nusajaya sub forum...

I am new and mistakenly posted the message below in Malaysia forum instead of Nusajaya forum. Rookie mistake...and I don't know how to move the original message....

Hello everyone-

My user name is Luzant and I've just joined this information rich forum. I am an American citizen and a high tech professional from Silicon Valley and in the final phases of accepting an executive position for an American company in Singapore. Here is my plan and I'd love to hear your advice and guidance.

1. The job is based in Singapore but requires travel across Asia...meaning, on average I'll spend 1-2 (but flexible on time) day a week in Singapore, 2 days working from home Singapore or Malaysia and rest of the time traveling within Asia or back to California. And the ratio of traveling vs. Working in Singapore will vary week to week.

2. Company will provide housing in Singapore for at least 6 months...but after that time, I'd like to move to Nusajaya area (2nd link) and rent a highrise condo with the fastest internet possible.

3. I qualify for and interested in obtaining the MM2H visa. I like the Malaysian culture, and spent time in KL and Penang as a technology strategy advisor to the State and Federal govt. My plan, when retired split time between California (less than 180 days for Ca tax purposes) and rest of the Asia from Malaysia...using both Air Asia and Sing Air.

4. I am a divorced single with a daughter in college in California, but I might bring my 15 year old son to experience private schools in Singapore or Malaysia for a year or two and attend from home in Nusajaya. I am looking into SAS or Marlborough College...but we have to decide between the American or British system.

5. Although Malaysia is a Muslim country...I am a wine buff...and have a good collection of French, Italian and American wines. I don't need to eat "pork" products but I love wine.

Now here are my questions...

- With my work schedule is it possible to maintain a worry free life style if I live in MY and work in SG?
- I lived in UK, France, Brasil and the USA but never lived in an Asian and/or Muslim country...am I going to subject myself for "public caning"?
- Oh, I plan to purchase a car under MM2H program...is there any hassle I should be aware of?
- Being single, I prefer to have a live in/live out helper...preferably Thai (food) or Philippina (language)...it would be fantastic if she can do grocery shopping and/or drive a car.
- Which highrise buildings I should be looking into for rental...living in California I am comfortable between RM 6000 and sub RM10,000/month.

I guess that's all for now...If I've missed anything I'd grateful if you point it out.

Thank you again....Best....
Old May 29th 2016, 9:23 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry...reposting in Nusajaya sub forum...

Hi Luzant and welcome to the FE forums. I'm going to leave your original post in the Malaysia forum (as you've got a few replies already) - it's also the busiest forum and most people pop by there pretty regularly.

Good luck with your exciting move!