Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Something wrong at the Singapore border?

Something wrong at the Singapore border?

Old May 8th 2016, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something wrong at the Singapore border?

Originally Posted by AhXiong
Most of the time the jam is caused by JB custom. There are many counters, however they only utilized 50% of it. If all counters are open, I'm very sure it can improve the traffic flow.
Dunno what time you refer to but whenever I cross at Tuas it is always the Singapore side which causes the hold up.

And what is the reason for the car search being moved to just prior to the immigration booths rather than after??
Old May 11th 2016, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Dunno what time you refer to but whenever I cross at Tuas it is always the Singapore side which causes the hold up.

And what is the reason for the car search being moved to just prior to the immigration booths rather than after??
Hi Ex Reg

I too wondered what the point of that was.... but I reluctantly have to admit that it does seem to have helped improve things a bit.

Don't understand why or how.... maybe I'm just now conditioned to accept

And after nearly 3 years of commuting, I can, as an expert ( ) guarantee you that 95% of the jams are caused by Singapore Immigration, NOT Malaysia (they save it for Saturday....)
Old May 21st 2016, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

2 years in since I last contemplated the move to Iskandar and Fri evening traffic (2 hr 15 min) does stall me back from taking the plunge.

Took a dry run on a van pool last night, thought the lane would be better, but nope. Apparently, bikes and cars turn up the same on overall given the oddities that I am still trying to figure out !
Old May 21st 2016, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

https://www.moe.gov.sg/education/sch...s-and-holidays

Hope this helps. I was told by locals the jam in most part if seasonal is due to the school holidays ...
Old May 21st 2016, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Also, in case you were not aware, today (Sat., May 21st) is a National Holiday. So it could be that yesterday's rush hour was even more crowded than the usual Friday.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 9:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thread re-opened per request.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bevs!!

I thought this should stay open for brief updates, however infrequent because it seems to affect more and more people.... seeing quite a few who have packed in at Singapore and moved over this last year.

First update.... they have changed the passport readers in the booths coming out of Singapore for smaller units, which means you HAVE to take the cover off to fit the passport in the machine. Duuuuh. More easily avoidable delay introduced.

Going in they are still the old ones apparently and can accommodate most covers.

Second update.... wanted to mention a very good app called "beat the jam". Well good apart from the annoying adverts but it is free. Gives times for crossing, plus projections based on previous data, cameras, both crossings. Worth downloading if you're a regular crosser.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Thanks Bevs!!

I thought this should stay open for brief updates, however infrequent because it seems to affect more and more people.... seeing quite a few who have packed in at Singapore and moved over this last year.

First update.... they have changed the passport readers in the booths coming out of Singapore for smaller units, which means you HAVE to take the cover off to fit the passport in the machine. Duuuuh. More easily avoidable delay introduced.

Going in they are still the old ones apparently and can accommodate most covers.

Second update.... wanted to mention a very good app called "beat the jam". Well good apart from the annoying adverts but it is free. Gives times for crossing, plus projections based on previous data, cameras, both crossings. Worth downloading if you're a regular crosser.
I thought the passport readers only required the first page plus cover to be inserted?

I have three passport bound together becase an old passport has a China Visa in it which is still available.

All passport controls were able to use my three bound together passports except Austalia who made a big song and dance about it and were trying to untie the ribbon binding the passports until I started shouting at them.
It's nothing to do with them they can't do that sort of thing afaik.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello Ex Reg

Didn't quite follow the gist of your post ( I have taken advantage of the "happy hour" offer on Kilkenny at Rock Bottom this evening :-) )- however, when you leave Singapore now, there's a big song and dance as they take the cover off your passport to fit in the scanner. Lots of huffing and puffing sometimes. I asked why and was told the new passport readers are too small to handle PPs with covers.... Not the brightest move forward.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello Ex Reg

Didn't quite follow the gist of your post ( I have taken advantage of the "happy hour" offer on Kilkenny at Rock Bottom this evening :-) )- however, when you leave Singapore now, there's a big song and dance as they take the cover off your passport to fit in the scanner. Lots of huffing and puffing sometimes. I asked why and was told the new passport readers are too small to handle PPs with covers.... Not the brightest move forward.
No problem it was just a personal rant for my eyes only.

The Malaysian side are very stoopid though imo.

They want more Sing dollars spent there so they should make the crossing as quick as possible. Just by opening more booths would sort it.

Then the Singapore side would have to open more booths so their side flowed quickly otherwise a big hoohaa would be made in the Singapore meeja and Singapore social meeja.

I reckon the additional Singapore dollars spent in Malaysia especially Johor would easily cover any extra cost of employing more customs/immigration officers.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

It beggars belief.... this time at the Malaysian side!!
They have installed a barrier AFTER immigration (leaving to go into Singapore) with a camera that reads your number plate (and of course generally slows everyone down).
When I approached the barrier stayed down for quite some time and then a message popped up saying I had one JB Summons..... be nice if they'd drop something in the post and let you know!
Grrrr.....
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

It beggars belief.... this time at the Malaysian side!!
They have installed a barrier AFTER immigration (leaving to go into Singapore) with a camera that reads your number plate (and of course generally slows everyone down).
When I approached the barrier stayed down for quite some time and then a message popped up saying I had one JB Summons..... be nice if they'd drop something in the post and let you know!
Grrrr.....
That's really there to catch errant Singaporean drivers.
There hundreds of thousands of outstanding fines which have never been paid.
Many Singaporeans have more than 5 outstanding fines against them and never had any intention of paying them.
I for one am glad they will be caught out.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Ex Reg

I can understand that.... but couldn't they have put a little logic and common sense into this?? There's a camera that reads your plate coming IN to Malaysia, at the immigration booth. It reads your number plate. It raises if you have a Malaysian plate, and stays down until you've swiped your card if you have a Singapore plate.
Common sense dictates that THAT is the place to let the driver know or even pull him to one side to PAY. An additional block leaving is just totally flawed thinking.... as is often the case in this part of the world!!
Old Sep 24th 2017, 4:19 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Common Sense and Malaysia. No comment.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

BB lovely to see you. Loved the (no) comment!