Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

SO LONG, FAREWELL, AUF WIEDERSEHEN, GOODBYE...

SO LONG, FAREWELL, AUF WIEDERSEHEN, GOODBYE...

Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default SO LONG, FAREWELL, AUF WIEDERSEHEN, GOODBYE...

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you know that me, Mr Bocat and the kittens are off to Abu Dhabi as of the end of this month.

I've really enjoyed the welcoming atmosphere on our Malaysian part of the forum and all the amazing information and help that people have provided. I've even enjoyed the banter!

Sad to be leaving but as usual the job market dictates... sigh...

People tell me it's a great place to live and I'm sure we'll enjoy it, but we are really starting to build a great community here in Nusajaya and that's what I'll miss the most.

So farewell my fellow BE forum buddies!

Bocat
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SO LONG, FAREWELL, AUF WIEDERSEHEN, GOODBYE...

Oh dear, that's a loss.... I've heard of at least one family going to AD this year... probably yours!
AD is very different to here, as I'm sure you'll know, but at least you'll be able to buy a decent, large gas guzzling 4WD for less than the price of a house in the UK

I thought you'd bought a house here... are you selling it or keeping it available for if you return?

Anyway BC, good luck to you and your family, and many thanks for all the help and advice you were willing to offer for newbies like me coming over. It was greatly appreciated.

Take care and drop back into this forum some time to let us know how you're getting on.

One thing I am interested to know.... any regrets about giving up MCM???

Last edited by geedee; Oct 16th 2014 at 1:52 am.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 12:38 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no......don't leave us . Ah well, when you get to be as old as me, you can come back on the MM2H visa eh.

Ah well...enjoy Abu Dhabi. End October? Just in time for the start of the great winter weather....that's a bit jammy
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi geedee

Yes we bought our house here. Best laid plans and all that... grrr.

If we sell it within 5 years we have to pay the government 30% of our profit. Don't fancy that so we're going to try and rent it. If you know of anyone looking for a 4 bedroom semi-detached in East Ledang please let me know! We're at the end of the street so no other house to look straight into which I love.

I'm sure I'll be dropping into from time to time to see how you all are .

Re the school - sad in some ways but at the end of the day it's just a school and there are many others around the world that are just as good. I'd have to say having viewed the other schools in the area recently whilst we were in limbo job wise, I still think MCM is far and away the best there is here.

What about your plans? Are you feeling any more settled?

Bocat
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi bakedbean

I'll miss your comments! But I'm sure I'll be saying hello now and again .

Yes I'm very glad we're moving at this time of year. I think if we'd arrived in the height of summer the kids and I might have told Mr Bocat that he could stay there himself and we'd have gone back to Scotland!

All feels a bit surreal at the moment. Feels like it's happening to someone I know - not me!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:29 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Stick an ad on the Classifieds on the forum for your house rental. I think (I will check) you can then link it to your signature on your posts.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bocat
Hi geedee

Yes we bought our house here. Best laid plans and all that... grrr.

If we sell it within 5 years we have to pay the government 30% of our profit. Don't fancy that so we're going to try and rent it. If you know of anyone looking for a 4 bedroom semi-detached in East Ledang please let me know! We're at the end of the street so no other house to look straight into which I love.

I'm sure I'll be dropping into from time to time to see how you all are .

Re the school - sad in some ways but at the end of the day it's just a school and there are many others around the world that are just as good. I'd have to say having viewed the other schools in the area recently whilst we were in limbo job wise, I still think MCM is far and away the best there is here.

What about your plans? Are you feeling any more settled?

Bocat
We're likely to move out of LF if we decide to carry on for a third year... but our contract here isn't up until end July next year. I don't think there's a "Diplomat Clause" so it would be expensive to bail out early! I'm sure you'll get a decent tenant soon... Ledang is a great location and a better option than HH I think.

I'm glad you still rate MCM. I've heard a few stories of people giving up on it and going back to S'pore now that Stanford has extended and Dulwich has just opened. The border crossing has proved too much for some to take! We're happy with it (the school, not the border crossing!)

It sounds like this has all been dumped on you at short notice, but it appears you're dealing with it very stoically and getting on with things... well done!

As to our plans.... one day at a time. We've just managed to rent a car that we can drive to S'pore so that might change things for the better!

Take care and good luck!

Last edited by geedee; Oct 16th 2014 at 1:50 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Stick an ad on the Classifieds on the forum for your house rental. I think (I will check) you can then link it to your signature on your posts.

Hi Bobcat.

What BakedBean said.

Stick an ad in the BE classified section and then link that to your profile and also link into your signature. If you get a bit stuck, I will try to help you.

Off to pastures new eh? Well, you don't get away from BE that easily
I am sure this lot would love that you keep them updated with how you are doing. ..... & then there is this crew in the ME section of BE

All the best and good luck with the new beginnings
Old Oct 18th 2014, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I'm just getting some photos of the house together this morning. I'll try to post them then. I've no idea how to link it to a signature but I'll try to figure it out - thanks for the suggestion!

geedee - that's great - having the car will give you more freedom and there's certainly more to do in Singapore for the kids. If only they could sort out that blooming border!

Yes we did lose a few kids at the end of last year to Dulwich but actually not as many as we thought might go which is a good reflection on MCM. Most of the people who left were due to relocation like us.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bocat
Yes we did lose a few kids at the end of last year to Dulwich but actually not as many as we thought might go which is a good reflection on MCM. Most of the people who left were due to relocation like us.
That's good. I know there are a few moans about MCM but I've never heard of a school where that's not an issue!

Went to the sports day today and it was a nice event. Seemed a bit disorganised at the beginning but settled down well.

I'm impressed with the teachers, to be honest. They're really committed on the whole and seem to believe in the school.

My only gripe was the coffee bar... sheesh, 10 minutes from order to cup in hand... and it was the wrong order!

Anyway, enjoy AD. Dubai is only 90 minutes away, if you drive as fast as the locals.... it's got a lot going for it.