Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Services in Nusajaya - any recommendations?

Services in Nusajaya - any recommendations?

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Services in Nusajaya - any recommendations?

Well, looks like we finally have somewhere to stay! Even though I've been a bit ripped off, at least my family will have somewhere to live when they come over!

Still have a bit to do once I finally pick up the keys, and am wondering if any of you "locals" have any recommendations regarding:

1) Pest control companies. The place I'm getting had a rather large bug on the ceiling (I thought it was a spider, I was told it was a beetle... but at what must have been 3" long, easy, I don't want whatever it was nesting in the house!!)

2) Professional Cleaning Services - any companies around that will do a top to tail deep clean?

3) Nearest supermarket - I heard there's a Tescos nearby?

4) Bike shop - thinking of buying us all bikes to get around....

5) Car hire... we will obviously need to buy or long term lease a car, but in the short term are there any car hire companies that will rent for one or two months?

Thanks all for any advice. Oh, if there's anywhere or anything we shouldn't go or do, please chip in!

Oops.... 6) Pet shop for pet food etc!

Last edited by geedee; Aug 2nd 2013 at 8:00 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:41 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Services in Nusajaya - any recommendations?

If you are renting on an estate (I think you are?) check out if they will be doing fogging regularly. Housing estates usually do and it will likely be included in your landlord's maintenance bill. That will cut down on the bugs a bit. Don't expect bug-free at ground level though. This is the Tropics. There are lots of bugs and wildlife I'm afraid.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
If you are renting on an estate (I think you are?) check out if they will be doing fogging regularly. Housing estates usually do and it will likely be included in your landlord's maintenance bill. That will cut down on the bugs a bit. Don't expect bug-free at ground level though. This is the Tropics. There are lots of bugs and wildlife I'm afraid.
Thanks BB... that's a good idea. The estate will probably have a load of info on that sort of stuff. I hope to be there soon!
Old Aug 4th 2013, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

geedee - there's an LF Facebook page which you can join - lots of info on there.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bocat
geedee - there's an LF Facebook page which you can join - lots of info on there.
Thanks Bocat, but I'm not signed up to fb. I'm sure the "management" will have a whole raft of info. Cheers.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Well, looks like we finally have somewhere to stay! Even though I've been a bit ripped off, at least my family will have somewhere to live when they come over!

Still have a bit to do once I finally pick up the keys, and am wondering if any of you "locals" have any recommendations regarding:

1) Pest control companies. The place I'm getting had a rather large bug on the ceiling (I thought it was a spider, I was told it was a beetle... but at what must have been 3" long, easy, I don't want whatever it was nesting in the house!!)

2) Professional Cleaning Services - any companies around that will do a top to tail deep clean?

3) Nearest supermarket - I heard there's a Tescos nearby?

4) Bike shop - thinking of buying us all bikes to get around....

5) Car hire... we will obviously need to buy or long term lease a car, but in the short term are there any car hire companies that will rent for one or two months?

Thanks all for any advice. Oh, if there's anywhere or anything we shouldn't go or do, please chip in!

Oops.... 6) Pet shop for pet food etc!
Sorry geedee my last post was a quickie.

1. I'm not sure yet but I can ask on the LF FB page as I'll be needing someone myself soon!

2. The LF management should be able to recommend someone. Weekly cleaners are quite hard to come by and are definitely increasing their rates. Personally I still think it's still very cheap but rates are definitely going up.

3. As I always say - it's Tesco Jim but not as we know it . Yes there is a Tesco - good for general groceries - soap powder, tins, frozen foods etc - not so good for meat, fruit and veg. Very close to Tesco at Bukit Indah is Aeon (within the Jusco shopping centre) - probably the best choice of fruit and veg (including organic) in the area. Meat is ok but I'd recommend the Harvest Wholesaler in JB for meat above any of the supermarkets. They sell other stuff too.

There's also a Giant near Tesco. Pretty much ditto what I said about Tesco for Giant.

A bit further down the road is a wet market called Bestmart - good for veg, chicken, fish, eggs etc. Not a great selection of fruit though and you do have to breath through your mouth and not your nose while you're there . (Or at least I do as I hate the smell of fish!)

4. I've seen a few bike shops around - on the main road at Bukit Indah - where you have Giant on your right and Tesco on your left - just keep driving and you'll see some bike shops scattered around. (This is also the way to Bestmart).

5. Don't know about this one - sorry - but I can ask around. Our cars are both from Singapore (kerching!)

6. There's a pet shop in the complex where Tesco is. Alternatively there are a few branches of Global Pets around the Bukit Indah area which seems to be pretty popular (vets there too).

Hope these help.

Bocat
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Bocat.... another really helpful post! I really do owe you a beer / wine or two!
Glad to hear about Global Pets... might be the same one we use(d) in Canada, and our dog can stay on Orijen! Fingers crossed. I was hoping Tescos would be like.... Tescos and I could buy UK beer!
Thanks again!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:36 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you can buy beer in Tesco. Mr bb bought a couple of six-packs in there today . Wine also can.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh you can buy beer in Tesco. Mr bb bought a couple of six-packs in there today . Wine also can.
Good news... proper beer, say London Pride, Boddingtons that sort of stuff??
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:38 pm

Oh...err don't know about that. He quite likes Skol currently. Oops a bit off topic . Shall I start a beer thread?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh...err don't know about that. He quite likes Skol currently. Oops a bit off topic . Shall I start a beer thread?
Skol??? That's not beer!

A beer thread would be great... we had one of those in the Canada forum... very interesting (but a lot more Brits with an appreciation of the good stuff!).
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:05 pm

Okey dokey....
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm going to bed in a minute so don't expect an immediate reply from me to your new beer thread!! (yeah, early, been a loooong day!) But I am looking forward to it!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:13 pm

Crikey that is early.....nighty night then
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Been here 4 days now and done a bit of scouting around in taxis!

Tescos.... dear me. Their Quality Policy obviously doesn't apply here! Bought some essentials for the first day.... very cheap but we soon found out why! Cutlery set... had 9 spoons and 3 knives.. ..... two spoons had somehow detached from the handles before we got them out of the box! An iron we bought simply failed to work.... until my wife gave it a smack!! Gets hot now but leaks water all over the place.... and the "meat".... OMG. I picked up a "whole chicken" in a plastic bag.... and it really was a whole chicken, including head and feet!

Still, got the job done. We went to the Aeon Mall a day or so later... what a difference! They even have a Starbucks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.