Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

School bus from Horizon Hills to (Central) Singapore

School bus from Horizon Hills to (Central) Singapore

Old Aug 21st 2015, 3:22 am
Just Joined

igster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School bus from Horizon Hills to (Central) Singapore

Hullo there and warm greetings everyone,

I'm pulling the hairs on my already balding head trying to find a school bus that will go from HH to (Central) Singapore. My fiancé and her daughter are Singaporeans.

We've just moved to HH, and since the little one is already in the Singapore school system, my fiancé feels the need for her to continue, at least for now as it's halfway through the year and we're still trying to settle in.

Does anyone know or can anyone advise if there are any school buses from the area or areas adjacent to HH that takes school kids across the border to schools in central Singapore?

Thanking you in advance,
igster
Old Aug 21st 2015, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School bus from Horizon Hills to (Central) Singapore

Hi and welcome to the forum, sparse as this sub-forum is!

I have been here 2 years and am not aware of any bus service, apart from the Causeway Link which runs frequently across the second link.

You can find out more here:

Malaysia online express bus ticketing in Johor Bahru and Singapore|causewaylink express

The other way is a "private taxi" but that will set you back at least MYR 200 each way.... that would be MYR 2000 per week! For that money you may as well stump up for a place at MCM!

Maybe there are other parents in a similar situation and you could share?

Good luck!
Old Aug 21st 2015, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi igster, welcome to the forum.

May I ask, if you're working in Singapore? If you are, maybe you could consider just renting (short term) in Singapore until the school term for your stepdaughter-to-be ends, then consider plonking her into any of the good schools up in Johor? It's only another what, 3 to 4 months to the end of the school term in Singapore, and then it'll be the start of a new one.

Just trying to think outside of the box

Good luck!
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Well RM2000pm for taxi or S$3000pm for a rental in Singapore if you are lucky.

I can't help but unless you can find someone in a similar situation where you can share travel expenses you might be stuck.

Doesn't your Singapore partner have relations in Singapore who might help with accom for your step daughter?

Why have you moved before sorting out this schooling problem?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi geedee, xizzles and ex reg,

I do apologise for really tardy response. I'd been away and have just got back into town.

Thanks ever so much for the warm welcome to the forum, btw. I really do appreciate you
chiming in and giving pointers.

Yikes! RM2,000 a week! That's not only crazy expensive, that surely must be donation-worthy from a wealthy middle easter family (sorry, I couldn't resist that one).

Seriously though, that's pretty crazy when you think about it, and you're right geed, with that many pesos, one could stump up for a place at MCM. It's ways beyond budget.

We are aware of the Causeway Link buses, thanks. The fiancé often takes them to travel up and down. Only thing is, both their timings aren't synced and I dare not think of sending a young schoolgirl over the causeway on her lonesome.

Thanks Xizzles, we're really looking at all options now, and that's one of 'em. I don't work in Singers, but my fiancé does. We are exploring temporary living options on the island tho. Might I ask, what are the good schools here that might no cost someone and arm, leg and a fibula?

Are home schools a good option here as well?

That's a good question ex reg. We were meant to move elsewhere but there was a huge change of plans at the last. There is an option with staying with my fiancé's mum, but really that would be the very last option as we don't really want to stress her out.

I might keep a look out for car pooling. I'm a little concerned about the safety aspect of it all though.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Igster

Sorry for my late reply, we took some time away too!

Yes, transport costs are high with taxis to S'pore. I wouldn't put an unaccompanied youngster on the causeway link bus.... I don't know how old she is but anything under 14 forget it!! Even at that age I'd think twice.

There are local schools here that you might register with if you're on the right permit.

There are private schools too, some lot less than MCM. Here's one for example: Tenby Schools Malaysia

You'll need to put duck duck go go to work! (shameless plug for good search engine that doesn't give all your search history to the men-in-black! )
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Hi geedee,

Tottttally appreciate the men-in-black thing. Duckduckgo is definitely the way to go.

Yea, I'm reluctant to put a youngster on a CW bus on her own.

We're exploring local schools here. Maybe not Tenby though, as I wasn't overly impressed by their school up in KL.

I've been trying to find a way to contact a member here, who apparently has (or had) car pool options, but i can't find a way to contact this member directly. Bummer.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Oops, scratch that inability to contact a member directly ....I may be able to now.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

There's a facebook group, I think it's called Johor Parents or something, that you could try and ask about carpooling.

Good luck
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Arrgghhh ...how could I have not seen your response geedee. Thank you for that, I'll definitely look it up.

....though, I'm not sure which is worse, Google gifting my history to the men-in-black or Facebook sharing my psychographics to the men with greens.