Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Old Apr 15th 2017, 7:06 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
miolsola is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Dear all,

New comer in the forum, my family is preparing our move to JB as I've recently got a job offer to Nusajaya.

We are presently based in Thailand and have 2 kids (4 and 9 y.o.) studying in an international school.

I've already read & learned a lot from the different threads nevertheless I still have some open questions:


1- International Schools:
Budget wise and also commuting time wise (max. 20 min one way) we are considering 2 schools: Sunway International School (SIS) or Tenby International School (Setia Eco Gardens) and would appreciate any feedback from people having kids there (or having visited both schools) regarding quality of education / teachers / facilities or any other interesting points to share.


2- Best place to live:
From the mostly recommended Expat' compounds / gated communities found across the threads (Leisure Farm, Ledan Heights, East Ledang, Horizon Hills, Setia Eco Gardens) I would be interested in any useful feedback from people living there regarding:
- 2.a: approx. rental cost for a 3-4 bedroom house
- 2.b: amenities (restaurants, swimming pool, fitness, shops ...), security & proximity to best Malls in JB


3- Car purchase:
As we will have to buy 2 cars and as I haven't found a lot of information yet on purchase prices for cars, I'd be interested in:
- 3.a any good threads (or websites) about car price information / sales offers in JB.
- 3.b. any approx. idea of the purchase price of a 2nd hand car type "Honda HRV" or similar with 50.000-70.000km


Thanks a lot in advance for your answers, it will help us to better prepare our move to JB and/or will hopefully provide useful info to other people.

Take care.

Miolsola
miolsola is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:27 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 939
SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Welcome to the forum.
I am not living myself in that part of Malaysia, so I don't have first hand experience.

To get an impression on rental prices for houses you could browse a bit on websites such as https://www.iproperty.com.my/ There are of course other websites, but most have same/similar items listed. It helps to give you a guideline.

For a second hand car is this website useful: Cars for sale in Malaysia - Mudah.my Also in this case are more options available, but this is a good starting point.
SushiFan is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2017, 10:30 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
miolsola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Thx a lot. Quite helpful. Miolsola
miolsola is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:25 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
bcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud of
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Hi there

As mentioned by sushifan. Those two websites are a good place to get started for houses and cars.

I would also suggest u try visiting a few 2nd hand car dealers (plenty here) after surveying online. That way, u can view a range of cars at one go and see what suits. Also see the actual car and probably test drive. Most car dealers advertise on Mudah.com as well.

Same with the houses. When u call the agents they would most likely be able to set up a few houses for u to view and take u around as well. Saves u the trouble of skipping individual houses with different agents. Might want to set aside a few hours with each agent for better use of time.
bcml is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 11:05 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 193
Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Originally Posted by miolsola View Post
Dear all,

New comer in the forum, my family is preparing our move to JB as I've recently got a job offer to Nusajaya.

We are presently based in Thailand and have 2 kids (4 and 9 y.o.) studying in an international school.

I've already read & learned a lot from the different threads nevertheless I still have some open questions:


1- International Schools:
Budget wise and also commuting time wise (max. 20 min one way) we are considering 2 schools: Sunway International School (SIS) or Tenby International School (Setia Eco Gardens) and would appreciate any feedback from people having kids there (or having visited both schools) regarding quality of education / teachers / facilities or any other interesting points to share.


2- Best place to live:
From the mostly recommended Expat' compounds / gated communities found across the threads (Leisure Farm, Ledan Heights, East Ledang, Horizon Hills, Setia Eco Gardens) I would be interested in any useful feedback from people living there regarding:
- 2.a: approx. rental cost for a 3-4 bedroom house
- 2.b: amenities (restaurants, swimming pool, fitness, shops ...), security & proximity to best Malls in JB


3- Car purchase:
As we will have to buy 2 cars and as I haven't found a lot of information yet on purchase prices for cars, I'd be interested in:
- 3.a any good threads (or websites) about car price information / sales offers in JB.
- 3.b. any approx. idea of the purchase price of a 2nd hand car type "Honda HRV" or similar with 50.000-70.000km


Thanks a lot in advance for your answers, it will help us to better prepare our move to JB and/or will hopefully provide useful info to other people.

Take care.

Miolsola
Our children use to study in Tenby. The school's facility is not bad but the primary teachers are all local even though it suppose to be an international school. And a lot of them can't really teach when it come to english language.

So we transfer them to the new Sunway. The school's teachers are way way more higher caliber than the Tenby one even though they teach different system.

Accommodation wise we been visit a few place like Horizon Hill, East Ledang and Leisure Farm. Here our thought;

Horizon hill - Concrete jungle
East ledang - Concrete jungle
Leisure farm - Proper trees jungle

We end up in proper trees jungle.
Harlow Lad is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:36 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
geedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Nusajaya
Posts: 2,327
geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Hi Miolsola

You could also try this website for house renting:

http://www.propertyguru.com.my

Basically the same as the other one given but there are a few different places on each.

Ledang Heights is nice, right next door to east ledang but like a mini version of Leisure Farm.

East ledang has some very nice, good value houses. They're well laid out and designed, but we have heard of a few build quality problems in some, so try to make sure you get a good landlord if you go there! Has a lot of kids too (so does LF).

LF also has the Bale Club, a good club that has a bar and restaurant. Just being refurbished....

Good luck!
geedee is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:20 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 153
ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Hi there.. i am looking at JH from the perspective of a potential 2-3 day week commute to Singapore. can someone suggest the best area to locate oneself from transportation (preferably public) point of view? Now and in near future?

Thanks in advance.
ssoomro is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:23 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,755
ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Originally Posted by ssoomro View Post
Hi there.. i am looking at JH from the perspective of a potential 2-3 day week commute to Singapore. can someone suggest the best area to locate oneself from transportation (preferably public) point of view? Now and in near future?

Thanks in advance.
Before you go too far down the line, I reckon you should try the commute both over the Causeway and across the bridge at Tuas.
Do it a few times both ways at the same time your journeys would be and then make a decision.
ex reg is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2017, 7:57 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 153
ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Originally Posted by ex reg View Post
Before you go too far down the line, I reckon you should try the commute both over the Causeway and across the bridge at Tuas.
Do it a few times both ways at the same time your journeys would be and then make a decision.
Thanks for the response ex-reg...i also read the horror story of commute in an ongoing thread about whats going on the border..

I am trying to make the decision between living in overpriced rathole (albiet not as smelly) in Singapore or finding a place in JB..own a car.. and go road tripping in Malaysia over the weekends ...

I understand the commute can be a challenge and my response to it is .. i hope not to do it everyday.. and considering Singaporean efficiency.. i hope a solution (commuter rail/high speed ferry etc) is expected soon.

It may be a naive position.....but hey ..we all were innocent ...once upon a time ..
ssoomro is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:00 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 153
ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

furthah moh.. I really do NOT want to live in a expat gated community.. i dont think they will like me very much there .. and i will be claustrophobic there .. .i think i do have 10+ good yrs in me before I start worrying about losing life over living it .. (sorry if the statement hurt anyone's feelings).. I am just looking for suggestions on what location on JB side is best situated for quick preferably over public transport to Singapore ..
ssoomro is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:58 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,755
ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Originally Posted by ssoomro View Post
Thanks for the response ex-reg...i also read the horror story of commute in an ongoing thread about whats going on the border..

I am trying to make the decision between living in overpriced rathole (albiet not as smelly) in Singapore or finding a place in JB..own a car.. and go road tripping in Malaysia over the weekends ...

I understand the commute can be a challenge and my response to it is .. i hope not to do it everyday.. and considering Singaporean efficiency.. i hope a solution (commuter rail/high speed ferry etc) is expected soon.

It may be a naive position.....but hey ..we all were innocent ...once upon a time ..
I've worked and lived in both places. And be in no doubt we love Malaysia, even JB, and its people.

But for us the choice between JB and Singapore is not even close. But we are only in Singapore 6 months at a time every year and that does colour our view quite a lot I think.

Penang and Singapore is a lot closer as choices go but for us Singapore comes out tops. Many differ in that view and that's fine.
ex reg is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:54 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
geedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Nusajaya
Posts: 2,327
geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Hello again Ssoomro..... JB itself would be a better bet for public transport.... buses go from JB Central and I heard a train does too now ( KTM Train from Johor Bahru to Singapore JB Sentral to Woodlands SG 2017 Times ) but don't know anyone who tried the train.

If you're going to work in Nusajaya, that's where most of the expats live, I believe. I personally don't know anyone who actually lives in JB town, but I'm sure there are expats there.

Also be aware that the commute from JB to Nusajaya can have heavy jams too....
If you are flexible with time into/ out of Singapore, driving is not so bad if you can avoid the peak hours. A good app to get is called "beat the jam" and will give you all the info you need.

The "gated communities" are actually not so bad here...

Good luck!
geedee is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:07 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 153
ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New in JB: Int. Schools, Place to live, Buy a car

Thanks GeeDee... I didnt mean to disparge the gated communities. I am just not into it...yet.

I will be working in Singapore, so asking what areas/location in JB is optimal for multi-day a week commute to SIN during the work week. Nusrajaya etc appear too far away and are more conducive to driving in SIN...i prefer to use public transport if I can. Thanks again for the suggestions.
ssoomro is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.