Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Need Advice on International Schools near Nusajaya

Need Advice on International Schools near Nusajaya

Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:16 pm
Clo
Just Joined

Clo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need Advice on International Schools near Nusajaya

Does anybody knows about the chances of getting into Marlborough College once on waiting list? Do you think that there are people turning down their successful application to MCM and therefore opening chances for others?
We just received the letter today saying they can only offer my 4 and half year old son a place on waiting list
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm inclined to think there would be very few parents who would turn down an offer for a place for their child in MCM.

The only way "people [are] turning down their successful application to MCM and therefore opening chances for others" would be if they did not pay the acceptance fee and refundable deposit on or before 31st December 2013 for their son or daughter who was offered a place. If the parents do not make these payments by the 31st December 2013 then MCM forfeits the offer and awards the offer to another family for the coming Fall (or as they call it Michaelmas) Term.

Your receiving the letter yesterday would have been a result of their Admissions department knowing by January 2014 which families have not made the payments to secure a place. So these places may have already been offered to other children whose names came before your son's on the wait list. So whilst your son is on the wait list, explore the other options for schools mentioned in this thread.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:33 am
Just Joined

wendywong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bellynbella
Hi all!

Wendywong, how did you go with Tenby? Which school did you decide to choose?

Im heading to JB on Friday (my first visit) and will be seeing Tenby, Fairview and Sri Ara for my daughter 6yrs and also visiting REAL Nusa Idaman for my son 2yrs.

Does anyone have any other pre-school suggestions around the west side of JB besides Cherie Hearts, REAL and Hilltop? I don't like that Cherie is in a shophouse. My son loves to be outside and Hilltop (it's in the middle of JB, right?) isn't a great location for me since I have to drive into Jurong East.

Once we've decided on a school then I will decided where to live.

All help and reviews are greatly appreciated
Hi bcml, belly,

How are you doing? Sorry for the late reply as i am now in Hawaii for conference.

My husband and i haven't been invited to attend the morning coffee session with any parents from tendy yet. I also doubt that they will ever invite me as i found out that they did have an open day in early march, but they did not even invite/email me for that important day!! Disappointed after i realized i missed the important open day.

My husband and i visited Fairview's open day on 1st march. We have decided to register our 3 kids altogether to the next intake at fairview, august intake. We quite like the concept of IB, the simple environment and the teachers of Fairview.

Tendy will be offering IPC at primary, IGCSE at Secondary, and IB Diploma in the future (they are applying IB DP for their diploma course). After learning their plan, i have decided to start the IB course for my kids from primary at Fairview.

It's not an easy decision as i have to move to adda height, or setia tropical now from leisure farm. I will probably look for houses in SP and probably we can meet next time.

regards,
Wendy
Old Mar 28th 2014, 9:16 am
Just Joined

bcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud of

hi belly,

i think ideally you would want to stay in the vicinity of sri ara, due to logistics. because i would imagine a daily commute can be quite a journey.

horizon hills is nearer the tuas checkpoint/jurong east. if u stay there, you would be travelling west towards johor town area and then back again towards tuas.

unfortunately i am not very familiar with the johor town area/sri ara in terms of gated communities because it is a more mature township.

probably some other johorians would be able to give you some suggestions.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:27 am
Just Joined

akrogh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Just joined this forum. Dad of 4 (13,7,3,1) - Danish married to Singaporean. Currently live in KL but want to be nearer family in Singapore so have decided on Johor.

We're looking at moving before next school year. From people's comments (plus location etc.) it looks like Sri Ara or Fairview for us. We would prefer to live close to the school if possible. For Fairview it looks like there's Setia Tropica (and possibly others?), however can anyone recommend where to stay if you want to stay near Sri Ara. I'm often away from home for weeks at a time so obviously security is a big priority - I guess it is for all.

Also, if we choose to stay near 2nd link (e.g. Ledang Heights) does anyone have comments on traffic getting to both mentioned schools?

Thanks,

Anders
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 1:01 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there. Just to say Welcome to the forum. I'm sure a few Johor residents will be along soon to give you advice. Hope the move plans go well.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

lene619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by akrogh
Hi All,

Just joined this forum. Dad of 4 (13,7,3,1) - Danish married to Singaporean. Currently live in KL but want to be nearer family in Singapore so have decided on Johor.

We're looking at moving before next school year. From people's comments (plus location etc.) it looks like Sri Ara or Fairview for us. We would prefer to live close to the school if possible. For Fairview it looks like there's Setia Tropica (and possibly others?), however can anyone recommend where to stay if you want to stay near Sri Ara. I'm often away from home for weeks at a time so obviously security is a big priority - I guess it is for all.

Also, if we choose to stay near 2nd link (e.g. Ledang Heights) does anyone have comments on traffic getting to both mentioned schools?

Thanks,

Anders
Hi hi,

I've been living at ledang heights since 2004 and so long everything's quite peaceful here.
My eldest gal is in grade 1 at Fairview and my 2nd gal will be joining her sis in the same school next year August. There's 2 routes to choose from here to the school and both takes about 20 mins drive give or take. So far, since January till now, there's no major traffic jam at the pasir gudang highway. I was only stuck at the highway once near the exit towards the school. =) Both schools Sri Ara and Fairview offers different curriculum. You might wanna consider that as well.

Regards,
Ellene
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Lolamanola is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone has any information about Raffles American School? I am considering moving my girls there, specially looking at the new campus that the y are building, but also the nice approach towards the kids. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 5:25 am
Just Joined

bcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud ofbcml has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by akrogh
Hi All,

Thanks,

Anders
hi akrogh,

we are moving to setia tropika soon, as we are planning to enrol our 1st grader into fairview for the the coming intake. i think there is adda heights and bandar dato onn in the vicinity of fairview. i cant comment on the rest as i have not been into the estates. however, setia tropika has a fenix villas compound which is gated and guarded; with clubhouse facilities for recreation.

as for sri ara, its located in jb central in a very established old neighbourhood. i dont think there are gated estates unless you consider country heights (still under construction i think) or condos and apartments.

you will have to make a scouting trip to get a feel of the city and schools to see whats best for your family.

dear lolamanola,

sorry i am of not much help as we didnt consider an american syllabus for my kids. hopefully someone is able give you some insight!

bcml
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Lolamanola is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you bcml for your response and your help
Old Jun 12th 2014, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

wendywong is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ellene,

i have registered my 3 kids into fairview for the aug intake. Probably one of my kids will be the classmate of yours too ^_^.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wendywong
Hi Ellene,

i have registered my 3 kids into fairview for the aug intake. Probably one of my kids will be the classmate of yours too ^_^.
Hi hi Wendy,

Ahh... nice to hear that! ^_^ My gal is currently in G1 blue class.
Hopefully they'll be in the same class this Aug. ^_^
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wendywong
Hi Ellene,

Hi hi Wendy,

You can join the JB Fairview Parents club to see pictures of events or chat with teachers & parents. =)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1482560025289831/
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Juicerer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, just FYI, (plus a little promo), I help manage this Facebook page for a company that organises international school fairs around Malaysia, and the next one is coming up in Nusajaya, early October 14. Event details at pisf.asia.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Britdocmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum.
I can see that several people have already undertaken the move we are currently considering.
I was wondering how people are getting on with their new lives in the Nusajaya area?
We are British but currently living near Miami.
We have 3 kids (3,7,9) For the eldest two; I am looking at Fairview (or possibly Marlborough if we can cobble together the set up fees and they have places) Does anyone have an opinion of these schools now that you have been using them for a while? I'm thinking that Fairview is so much cheaper a lot of it's deficiencies could be made up for with extracurricular activities, tutors etc if need be. Is this assumption correct?My main priority is that they're in a happy, supported environment where they are adequately challenged.
How are people finding the commute to Singapore across the 2nd causeway? My husband will be commuting most days. Not sure how yet!
I've been a SAHM for a couple of years but I'm a Junior Doctor and have no clue yet which side of the border i will be working on when i start back at work.
Apologies if i am asking things that other people have asked before but we are making major decisions based on these details and i want to make sure the information is up to ate and accurate.
Many Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.