Meat

Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meat

At last, my wife has found a great meat supplier in Johor....

Lucky Frozen (Johor) in Tampoi, JB.

It's a wholesaler so you need to buy in bulk (sort of).

My wife bought 5kg of "D-Rump", chilled, (good for Roast) for MYR 126.
3kg Rib-eye for MYR 163.
Lamb Shoulder, 1.5kg for MYR 40

Plus some smoked salmon, frozen fruit etc.

I don't know how good the prices are because I don't do much food shopping, but we cut the D-Rump into joints and had a roast today.... absolutely delicious (from Aussie).

They have a lot of choice, with beef from Aussie, NZ, Brazil etc., chicken, lamb, fish, fruit etc. No pork though.

I have the phone number if anyone wants to PM me.

PS... we have no business links with this firm, just thought others might have been having a hard time finding good meat too!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meat

Always good to find a meat supplier you are happy with.
But those prices???

You can buy meat similar to what you've listed from Cold Storage here in Singapore for lower prices. And from the local wet market at much lower prices.

IIRC the Cold Storage ina couple of the Malls in JB and Giant have meat at lower prices than that.

I like looking around at the meat and fish in supermarkets and wet markets just to see what is available so I hope my recollection of JB meat prices is correct.

AH just re read your post and you are not referring to the price per kilo.

Forget I ever posted

Oh and unfortunately you aren't able to bring meat across the Causeway otherwise I'd be up buying from your supplier.

Last edited by ex reg; Feb 19th 2014 at 3:05 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Geedee, I realise that Johor is not Penang island, but..... we have a similar frozen meat store here run by Indians. It says no pork but, if you ask very quietly, the nice Indian lady leads you to the back of the shop and....voila

Obviously goes without saying, only try this if the owners are Chinese or Indian.

Are there no wet markets down your way? We get very nice fresh chicken (and pork) from the wet market here.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
I like looking around at the meat and fish in supermarkets and wet markets just to see what is available so I hope my recollection of JB meat prices is correct.

AH just re read your post and you are not referring to the price per kilo.

Forget I ever posted

Oh and unfortunately you aren't able to bring meat across the Causeway otherwise I'd be up buying from your supplier.
Hi ExReg! Yes, those prices were the full weight... the D Rump works out around MYR 25 (GBP 5) per kilo..... I can't really remember but I'm sure that's less than we were paying in UK years ago. And the quality / butchering is spot on!

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Geedee, I realise that Johor is not Penang island, but..... we have a similar frozen meat store here run by Indians. It says no pork but, if you ask very quietly, the nice Indian lady leads you to the back of the shop and....voila

Obviously goes without saying, only try this if the owners are Chinese or Indian.

Are there no wet markets down your way? We get very nice fresh chicken (and pork) from the wet market here.
We did try a "wet market" but were horrified at the way they cut lamb up (they didn't have beef at the time). They completely ruined it by the way they cut it, so we never went back!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:19 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised you can get fresh lamb. There are lambs in Malaysia not too many different ways to joint a chicken, so much easier.

That sounds like a great price on beef